Does the way a person look/dress influence your feelings for that person?

Just curious

• Yes, depending how they dress
  • Yes, both factors influence my feelings
  • Yes, how they look (I.e facial features)
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• well see that's the problem, for A LOT of people its really hard to look past the surface! I mean I know what I said was kinda "stereotypical" but its true! Most guys when they find out that the blond is a superficial bitch, they won't spend one minute on her! but guys take one look at a girl like say one with a personality don't immediately think oh wow she has a great personality, they think she's hot or not at all! But to me of course I would go for the personality! I want someone that I can laugh and have a good time with, its just the sad truth is, looks come first

What Guys Said 9

• How they dress influences me to the extent of first impressions, since I usually have limited info to go on. It's not really a huge deal though...

When it comes to dress, simplicity (with some thought about elegance and color coordination, etc.) impresses me the most. I tend to be a little more suspicious if a girl looks like she's trying too hard to dress-up, because that indicates to me that she might be too superficial. I'm also suspicious if she copies all her friends. If she doesn't seem to care about wearing cosmetics or jewelry, that's a positive thing. It makes her seem more confident and individualistic.

But none of those details have that big of an effect, in the sense that when I get around to asking you out or dating you, I usually have something more substantial to go on. I would certainly never exclude someone from the dating pool based purely upon how they dress.

As for facial features, this also matters a lot, but it's far more of a subconscious thing. You might remind me of someone, which would either positively or negatively bias how I feel about you at first.

• Looks to me only extends to physical fitness.

Dress? As long as she dresses modestly, I don't care. Facial features? I do not care.

As far as I am concerned, my only three requirements to find her interesting enough is that she is in a leadership role at her place of employment, she has the mental aptitude to understand me, because I can get pedantic at times, and the last thing, her personality matters. I prefer a "geeky" type of personality.

• I think that the way a person dresses tells a lot about that person. Style is a big factor of attraction. If a girl comes walking into school in high heels, tons of makeup, and expensive clothes and then the next day shows up in a tshirt and sweatpants...something is up. Personally I pay attention to the little details of outfits that girls wear. A girl that wears clothes to match her personality is a beautiful girl.

• I aggree with that last statement

• I agree with what you are saying over all. But the heels one day, sweats the next, then somethings up wasn't really fair. Maybe somedays they have something important going on they need to dress up for, and the others they can just relax. :)

• @haggard, what I really meant by the whole shpeel was if some girl changes her style every single day you know something is going on haha

• Not really, I'm more influenced by a persons personality or their own feelings for me. That in turn my makes me develop feelings. But for the most part, the first thing we notice about anyone, is their attractive appeal.

• Personality overrules looks any day of the week.

• One real hottie from the moment I saw her: Susan Boyle. What a babe.

• honestly? of course it does, you don't go for the girl wearin blue jeans an AC/DC shirt and stringy messed up hair, you go for the blond with straitened hair, heels and low cut shirts!

• What if she (the blond) was superficial with no personality but the other girl was a great person that didn't feel the need to make guys stare at her? would you still go for the blond with no real substance?

• I say no on the assumption this is an existing relationship

For an initial meeting, yes clothes, or the way they dress are a deciding factor.

• So if you like the style upon meeting them but get in a relationship and they change you won't care?

• I said B but that's only applies in the begging

What Girls Said 18

• I've never had the patience or inclination to keep up with the latest fashion - even as a younger woman. Granted, I can "dress to impress" if something vital is going to be determined about my appearance, like a job interview or a first date, but typically I dress for comfort. Even then, comparing myself to others I tend to hit below the acceptable mark for fashion.

And because, like most people, I project how I feel on others, I assume when a person is less than fashionable (like me) they are doing the same.

I know that for some, clothes is a way to express creativity, but I just wished that those that felt that way remember that there are others (like me) that it's not really important at all.

I'm a thrift store shopper because I like frugal and funky - that doesn't mean I am less worthy or appealing than someone who shops at the mall.

• I think I'm the same there lol and my opinion would be that there is no real "fashion". that what you wear is your fashion, not what others say you should wear

• I said depending on how they dress, because if I don't know them and they dress in baggy tracksuit bottoms, white trainers and baseball caps I'll assume he's a massive chav. If he wears suits all the time, I'll assume he's a bit of a ponce.

If I already know them and like them, then no it doesn't matter.

• here's how I look at it. If I'm madly in love with a man who goes bald randomly or gains some weight, those factors won't change my love for him.

But the only way I meet a guy and fall in love is by the initial physical attraction to him. Looks are important because they draws towards a man.

• I think we start interest or gain feelings with their appearance. I mean we don't look at a guy and say "omg he has a great personality", we go "omg he's hot", or "he's ugly".. it is after getting more involved with them, and learning what their personality is like that causes us to stay liking or being attracted to them orrrrr that causes us to move on from them because this hot 6 ft babe with all the right stuff is an arrogant ass and we really don't need that kinda crap.

• I can't lie and say how they look/dress wouldn't affect my feelings for them. After I get to know them that could change though

• Well, the way a person looks and dresses can be very vital in showing things like hygiene and other things about a person. If they are slobs and don't care about how they look, how can you assume they care about themselves? and if they don't care about themselves then they probably won't care about others really. Perfection, no, that's not important, but being well taken care of is.

• I could give 2 sh*ts about how they dress...why would that ever matter? Looks is 40% important personality 60% I've liked guys that wore the same thing everyday or had a weird nose but their personality rocked like nobodies business and they liked me so that's important. In the end a good sense of humor and kindness is what you need, looks are just the initial attraction.

• I voted yes for how they dress because I think how someone dresses is a huge reflection of their personality.

• first and foremost a persons personality influences my opinion but I have to say that their dress sense in a way affects it to, I think the way a person presents themselves says a lot about their personality.

• No, it only influences my first judgments of someone...after that I could care either way what they wear.

• Well if I already like somebody then NO.

• How the person makes me feel and personality are what influences my feeling towards them.

• very much... especially the first meeting.

• more of personality, but then again you don't want them to look supper bummy :)

• It's not the most important thing to me, but I'll notice it. And if someone has a great personality AND I like how they look physically, I will be more attracted to them than if they just have one or the other. If I had to choose between looks and personality, though, personality wins every time.

• It might seem a bit shallow, but I said both because they do (a long with a lot of other deeper factors). Appearance can say a lot about a person so I tend to pay attention to it. Obviously, I have to think the guy is attractive for me to want to date him, but I don't have a list of specifics a guy has to have- I think guys of all different types are hot (but my best friend did point out I only seem to date tall dark-haired guys, so maybe that's my type?). As for clothes, I kind of use them to judge a little more about the person. I'm a low-maintenance jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, I'm not into the bar culture where you have to dress to the nines to go out and I don't want a man who takes longer to get ready than me. I'm also a country girl who could never live in the city so I also use appearance to find rural guys. A guy who wears collared shirts and follows the latest fashion trends might be the nicest person in the world, but it probably wouldn't work out for us, we'd be too different and I'd hate feeling like I always had to dress to his level when I just wanted to throw on comfy jeans. And, he probably likes his clothes, and would hate it if they got randomly dirty. But a guy wearing a simple t-shirt and jeans, yeah he's on the same wave-length and would probably be less upset if on our date I wanted to walk through the muddy field to show him my favorite spot in the whole world...

• Im a country girl aswell :) I can never understand the appeal of dyed blond hair and skirts that barely cover the girls butt at school tho. However these girls are normally in a relationship which I guess made me ask the question

• Personality only madders in the end.

Plus everyone changes their taste of style in clothing and how they look. So no, the majority of the time looks don't madder to me.

• Of course. It all has to do with attraction, which can help create chemistry.

Obviously you're going to want to date someone who maintains good hygiene, dresses well and flattering for their body type.

Good luck.