Dress advice for a Military Ball?

This is my first time attending a Military Ball and it's at a Military Academy, so I feel like it should be a little bit more formal than anything else. I want to get a long dress for that reason. But if I can't find one, would a short dress be okay? Not too short though.

Thank you

Most Helpful Girl

• Military balls are a lot of fun! So def. Dress to impress! Find something that is flattering to your body type. That's the key.

However, know this military balls are very formal and I'm not going to lie to you in the least, wearing a short dress isn't the best idea. I would wear a long dress. Something simple and elegant with a nice clutch and a pair of nice heels.

link --if you have a smaller top and and hips... (drop waist)

link perfect if you have a bigger chest and a small waist but hips are bigger. (A-line dress)

link very cute for an hour glass shape (singed at the middle)

link if you're more top heavy a good dress for that is something with a halter.

Also keep in mind you don't want to wear something that you're not comfortable in or constantly picking at. So if you're larger topped be careful if you pick a strapless dress.

Good luck & have a blast!

What Guys Said 3

• link

Military balls are VERY formal affairs, they are one of the last holdovers in our country from the time when royalty and nobility would get together and hobnob away from the unwashed masses.

• I was in ROTC and we had an annual Navy Ball every year, I dressed in an issued uniform that was fit for the occasion, women I believe should have anything above the knees, but is most recommended to have the dress below the knees and for it to complement your body-type and skin tone.

• 0|0

What Girls Said 5

• yes short dress is okay...i went to military ball couple of times...its like prom...expect the guys have to wear the uniform...that's just the big difference

• But I do recommend long dress though...cause it is a bit more formal than your average prom

• Should I go for a blue dress, since he will be in his blues? Or any other recommendation of color?

• Is it airforce? ...i think blue is fine...well with mine they wore green and I had on a white dress..i think it looked really pretty and it stood out..but if you don't want to go with white maybe go with like soft yellow

• Yes they're formal affairs, but treat it like you would a race meeting. No shoulderless dresses, keep hemlines below the knee and no halter necks. You should be alright with those rules. Love CPO Jenks xx

• awesomeworld. co. uk

There are a lot of dresses :D

• I would stick with a long dress since from googling it seems really formal and a short dress sounds inappropriate

• I never went to a Military Ball but I had friends who did. It's pretty much like a prom so think of what you would wear to prom. Short dresses for formal occassions have come back in style so you could wear a short formal dress, like some girls who wear short prom dresses.