Do you believe physical beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

So do you guys believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder or is it just some politically correct statement and how do you prove this phrase? Or give an example of it.

I mean as a female in society. I definitely don't feel attractive.

• Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
  • No, beauty is unanimous all across cultures
  • Beauty is a combination of personality and looks.
  • Other (please explain)
I am not sure if this poll was well made, maybe it should have been restricted to answers A, B and D. but leaving C out seems unnatural too...

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted C and I have proof. (sort of). This'll be a copy and paste job.

-----------

When my high school yearbook was being created, there was a poll for "most beautiful guy/girl" that everyone filled in. Rebecca was very very sexy. Everyone assumed that she'd win. Problem was, Rebecca was a bit of a pain in the butt. She wasn't mean, but she was very self centred and superficial. Always cared about being 'perfect'.

When the poll was held, Rebecca didn't win. Infact she came 3rd. Another girl, Lisa, won hands down (from memory something like 80% of the votes). Lisa was a 'bigger' girl, not fat, but not model thin. Thing is though, she was the sweetest nicest person on the planet. Always helped out, always said hello, not up herself.

I often tell this story to girls that think guys just care about looks, but here it applies about personality too. Guys do like good looking girls, and we'll instinctually notice a sexy girl, but at the end of the day, a 'nice' girl is far better then a bitch. We'll have a one night stand with the bitch, we'll marry the nice girl.

-----------

Physical beauty is a personal thing. Go to any Imdb board, look up any female, and you'll find a bunch of posts "SHE'S HOT" followed by "SHE'S UGLY". (Ellen Page springs to mind). But I think for most people (as my example I hope shows) true beauty is physical and personality.

• Whoa, is this honestly a true story? You know, because it's high school... where superficiality can be high.?

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder because if you don't think you are beautiful, then no one else will. don't fear being disliked by men. you are the prize, not him! if you feel you need to change your appearance to feel beautiful yourself, then go ahead. but know that imperfection is beautiful. beauty is looking NOT like everybody else. the secret to being beautiful is confidence. not conforming to "what men like"

• I agree with barbie I had the same belief as you do but one day I just said forget what anyone thinks and had a good look at my self and said I'm a good looking man. I found that more people were wanting to be around me women especially. This girl that I like she is a little overweight and a lot of people would think she is avg, looking but to me she is the girl of my dreams she sweet and very shy I tell her she is beautiful but she never believes me. But she doesn't want to go out with me :-(

What Guys Said 7

• You will realize and understand that you are beautiful when you stop comparing yourself to other girls or women whom you're not supposed to be like. Each woman is her own Unique, One of a kind, Special, and Different person. You're not supposed to be like any of the others. When you realize that its YOU who give yourself value. Others can have various opinions about you, but your esteem your worth and value come as a result as how you see yourself. People with good esteem are rarely bothered or annoyed by negative comments made about them by others. Good or high self esteem is necessary for survival and success. There are 3 kinds of people out there. Those who hate you. Those who are indifferent and would not care if you were dead or alive. Then those that like and love you. You should only be in communcation with those who like and love you who help build your esteem and keep you encouraged. Don't pay attention to the othe two groups. You may have to work with them, live near them or they may be in your class but don't pay them any attention. Keep hold of the positive people in your life.

• well a and c should be together as they are both true. people are all different so we all like different things both in how a person looks and how there personality is. So when you find the combination you love that is perfection to you and most likely to only you.

• everyone likes different things in a person. and while most people would agree that someone is "hot" or "sexy" that is based on looks. beauty has a lot to do with how the person acts as well as her looks. and everyone likes different features better. like I personally find redish hair (not like orange but like auburn dark brownish red...) most attractive. if you took a poll on hair color you would probably find most people choosing blond, but its all personal opinions.

• Beauty is only skin deep

But ugly goes clean to the bone

• That would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

• i am busy while better email me at

Beyond.the_oceans@yahoo.com

inform me of the time you would prefer to talk at

i can surely satisfy you that

"beauty lies in eye of beholder"

see u!

• yes I belive

• Question asker...here's some advice. diets SUCK! OK. and chances are, the results don't last unless you want to be miserable for the rest of your life keeping the weight off, exercising is great, and you know eating healthy is too, but don't not eat that third piece of pizza in fear of being deemed unattracted by men. omg I am naturally thin, but let me tell ya there are men that find me unattracted too. I know people who find megan fox repulsive! ...

• Hi Barbie, thanks 4 replying. I am dieting and trying a 180 lifestyle change. the truth is that I AM FAT and I saw my doctor. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (a hormonal disorder that makes weight loss harder and robs me of being "femimine".. I have more testosterone than avg. female =/ ... the weight gain is much more easier. I do need to keep the weight off because I am at risk for cancer ,diabetes, cushings syndrome... the list goes on. Looks = 1 of many issues as a physical being.

What Girls Said 7

• First off, c doesn't fit because that is asking what people think beauty is, whereas everything else is asking if all people see beauty the same or differently. I voted a because everyone has a different opinion of what is beautiful. Some of this is shaped by society, but its also shaped by the individual. And every society has a different image of beauty. For example, there are places in Africa where obesity is considered to be incredibly beautiful. People even send their daughters to fat camp (not to lose weight but to gain weight). In western culture, being skinny is considered beautiful by society in general. That being said, there is a great deal of variation within a single society, so even if you don't feel you fulfill your society's definition of beauty, there will be people out there that see beauty in you. Not to mention that c is in fact true. Beauty can come from who you are and how you look.

• C. LOOKS+PERSONALITY.

It's obvious that people have different tastes as to what is attractive, but there's also smth common- most people in modern society would like someone who is in shape, this shows the person is healthy and has the character and will power to keep fit.

It is better to be beautiful than to be good, but it is better to be good than to be ugly. - Oscar Wilde

• I believe that both A and C are true. Beauty is definitely NOT unanimous across all cultures. Different cultures can have drastically different ideas of what is aesthetically pleasing.

• yes, I'm sure about it... because you can find someone attractive, and I don't...it's a matter of opinion and everybody is different.

• I think that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", AND, "beauty is a combination of personality and looks"...

• Thanks for your input! I had so much trouble making the poll to be an accurate reflection of people's perspective and trying to include all types of answer.

• I'm stuck between A and C. With my boyfriend, I think he's so hot, but other people don't think so, so obviously its in my eyes, therefore the eyes of the beholder, but also, I think he's a beautiful person because of his personality and how sweet and caring he is, and also because I love the way he looks. so I think its both A and C

• I think it is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you see a guy and he is not typically good looking, but there is just something about him.

The same thing if you are in love, then that person is just better looking than everybody else.

• beauty definitely is a combo of looks and personality. I can't find someone attractive if they have a bad personality. there's just something beautiful about having a caring, fun, friendly personality.