What happened to men today?

What happened to men being men? Why are men so feminine these days? This website is full of guys who ask questions about things and cry about the answers they get. Saw a group of dudes wearing eyeliner and had their fingernails painted today too. That's not masculine. Really? What gives. If I came home to my father with my fingernails painted, there would be a body imprint in the drywall. I don't understand the whole "lets be emo thing". C'mon guys, sack up.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 11

• since when is it manly to worry about what other guys are wearing? last time I checked, what pants random guys choose to stick their own d*** in doesn't particularly interest manly guys.

• THANK YOU! So many guys act like girls now, stop b*tching and act like men

• What, do you think this is a new thing? David Bowie? Robert Smith? Basically every hair metal band of the 80s? Actually, in ancient Egyptian times and even the 16th century men wore makeup. Fashions and scenes change. Guys wearing makeup isn't a new thing, is what I'm saying.

Actually, you seem overly concerned about the whole thing. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. ;)

Also, that part about your father is a bit disturbing. Having abusive parents is nothing to brag about, you know. Except maybe to child protective services.

• People should wear what they want... if you'd complained about girls not being 'feminine' enough, you'd be getting a lot of hate right now. If men want to wear makeup, why shouldn't they? Why is it bothering you? If girls don't want to wear makeup, that's even better: no one should put so much effort into their appearance just to find a partner, it's stupid.

Live and let live..

• The word 'emo' irritates me. For one people who self-harm obviously have depression and are going through some hard times. I wouldn't even imagine having walk their shoes for a day. People like you are the ones who drive them to suicide.Congrats.

Two, its their life, not yours so grow up and realize its not your place to judge them.

Three, the way these guys dress and what they do (painting nails, doing hair, blah blah blah) is a 'fashion' and it doesn't mean they go home and cut themselves. There is a difference between depression/self harm people, and people who dress odd.

Four, Your not cool for fighting. Fighting=not cool. Got it?

Five, Your not cool for having an abusive dad. Abusive dad= NOT COOL.

Six, posting anonymously is not masculine, its weenie. You can't back up your own words.

Seven, I personally don't find myself attracted to these guys, but my closefriend finds it hot. You dress in a way to attract girls right? So, maybe by dressing the way they do they attract the girls they like. Or they are gay and attract the guys they like.

Eight, You are ignorant, and annoying.

• Emo = Emotional. Everyone has emotions so everyone is emo. But I agree the "emo" or "goth" look is kind of weird. However I think some girls look sexy like that.

• I think its nice for a guy to dress up or put a little effort into their appearance, but not so far as wearing makeup (ahem, ADAM LAMBERT) or painting their nails. That's not attractive to me at all. Especially because now that being "emo" or "scene" is popular now. The emo/scene kids will (hopefully) grow up and change their appearance and one day look back at pictures of them and think "WTH was I wearing?!"

• I totally agree. I prefer men to be men. I have no ill will towards feminine guys but they're not what I'm attracted to. I usually assume they are homosexual but when I meet a feminine guy that's interested in women it's kind of surprising. Most women like masculine men so they can't complain when women overlook them.

• I ask myself this question too. I mean, I like being treated as an equal, but that doesn't mean I want men to turn into women. I like more masculine men, they don't have to go overboard, but please be a male for crying out loud.

• I ask myself the same question all the time...

• I personally appreciate men who are masculine. I don't like it when men wear make up or dress like a woman. I like the men to be men. Sorry if that bothers anyone.

• I don't know, but I prefer masculine men, so it's sad that they are so rare. I mean, I want men to be themselves, & if they want to be feminem, then do what makes them happy, but I don't feel like I can get what I want.

What Guys Said 13

• ...Instead of crying about it, ask them. Your talking about their masculinity, and you go and post as anonymous... Got some real balls there don't yeah... Dude their in the street with make up on, I think they might have actually sacked up enough to come out of the closet. I'm question, your masculinity even more... Checking out another guy enough to notice he has his nails all did up... To shame with you... Go ahead and hand over one of your man cards, you've got 2 left now

• Stunning postttt

• The smartest man alive ladies and gentlemen, You definitely don't get laid.

• "Ignorance is always a blissful experience for the ill-informed."

• Bunch of pansy chest shavers

Thats really all the male populations turning into. Men used to be men and not give a sh*t about grooming or what hair to shave or if we should wear jewlery. Now we got guys wearing mascara, guys bleeching there hair, painting there finger nails, shaving every part of your body even are heads (im not bald and until that day comes I'm gonna charish my hair). And what happend to the days men could fight there own battles. Yeah I'm not talking about some 5-1 gang bang style fight where you have to have your friends fight your battles for you. And society is lame for pushing this style on us and make it the flavor of the month.

• Amen. Hope all these pussies read your posting.

• > If I came home to my father with my fingernails painted, there would be a body imprint in the drywall.

I don't think having an abusive parent is something to brag about, but to each their own.

• Son, I am disappoint.

• The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• I hate this f***ing websites. All you p**** nerds.

• I don't understand why people care so much about what other people do. I don't put on make up and obsess over how I dress everyday, but that doesn't mean I should force all other men to do the same thing. If you don't like how someone else dresses then simply get up and walk away from them. If they're happy then just let them be. They are probably more comfortable wearing eyeliner and painting their fingernails then they would be if they tried to fit your definition of masculinity.

• It doesn't just end with eyeliner. Women, in general, are different than what they were centuries ago. They want men to be less hairy, even without forearm hair. There are many books and topics about the de-masculinity of American men over the years and a lot of that has to do with women stepping up sexual harassment lawsuits and getting more protection against such things in and out of the work place. In some areas, it's inappropriate to whistle or give sexual compliments to a women, even unlawful. In the 1950's or so, it was acceptable.

• Are we b*tching about emos here or just blokes with emotions?

I think the former need to sort themselves out a bit and cheer-up (but each to their own), but I'm quite happy to admit that I'm the latter.

I'll also freely admit that I came onto this site feeling a lot of emotions from a recent breakup and wanted to understand both my emotions and the mistakes I'd made in the relationship - ultimately to better myself as a person and as man.

I found that answering other people's questions helped me gain a better understanding of my own situation and hopefully helped them gain a better understanding of theirs.

I'd say as a bloke that acknowledging your own emotions and actually doing something constructive about it (be it happy or sad) takes quite a bit more balls than suppressing them under the guise of being some sort of 'HARDCORE MAN' where they'll probably end up boiling away until one drunken evening they all come roaring out in verbal and/or physical form, which is bad enough in itself but especially if it gets directed at a partner or even worse kids.

Sure there are blokes around who are painting their nails and whatnot, but if that's what they wanna do for whatever reason just let them get on with it and stop b*tching about it. You're not being forced to hang out with them, and I'd also say it's pretty safe to say that most blokes don't do it - so I'm not sure calling them something as general as 'men today' is particularly accurate.

• Theres always been pussies, they're just easier to spot these days.

• My dad tried that once when I started wearing eyeliner and painting my nails black. I ended up pulling a butcher knife on him I actually tried to stab him but he was out of reach. Decided to spend the night at my sister's house. Never complained about my apearence again.

Just because you're to lazy to care about your appearnce doesn't mean you're manlier then the person you're fighting.

• If I had a kid who did that to me, his stuff would have been in the front yard when he got back home, or depending on his age, sent to military school, but he would no longer be living under my roof, and he would be completely cut off. I bet your dad wishes you were never born.

• he's the one who left not me, but more importantly he put his hands on me. That's not acceptable. It doesn't matter who you are, you try to hurt me and I will do whatever is necassary to defend myself. and as far as tossing me out... no he didn't. 2 weeks later I got about 1800 dollar check. Gave a grand to my parents and bougth a bus ticket to Indiana. Me and my family talk all the time and they're always wondering when I'm coming back to visit.

• Disgusting, isn't it? Shouldn't be allowed!

• Prime example here folks. Isn't it past your bedtime kid?

• No, my family is from the real Ireland. Not the one controlled by the British. Thanks though.

• Heh, oh yeah, the holiday resort one, yeah?

• I don't really give a sh*t about the look. Yes the emo look is gay as hell, but it's the retarded attitude and mindset emos have that annoys me.

• Emo in general annoys me

• Couldn't agree more man, since when is it OK for guys to wear all that make up and fingernail polish etc... more than their girl does, or really, even at all? I also don't understand the guys whose jeans are tighter than their girls, I mean really?

• I am Irish myself, and the neighborhood I grew up in.. I had to fight on my way home from school. Sometimes every block. Didn't matter if you won or lost, you still fought. Once you kicked enough asses, they respected you and you weren't asked to fight anymore. Today these kids grow up all mamby pamby, I guess I don't get it. What happened to wanting to sit around on Sunday, drink beer and watch football? Or go to the strip club with your buddies. No, let's go paint our nails!!!

• No more fighting, what a shame....

0.o

If you don't like wearing makeup, don't wear it. Pretty simple.

• It is a shame, men used to actually want to prove that they were tough, some of us still do, but not those p**** emos guys that would rather be cross dressers

• you obviously have not heard of the 16th century

• It's masculine to cry and have emotions, but admittedly, the emo thing is pretty gay.