Black people can you connect with me on this?

i am a dark skinned 16 year old girl (skin the color of lauryn hills). I know I an not super dark, but I'm definitely not light either. I'm always getting told I look african but family and a couple of people I'm school. my cousin is the worst. he calls me burnt, slave. he is only a shade lighter than me. my cousins and brothers are always putting their arms next to mine to see whose lighter. its so annoying. I find myself to be very pretty and people tell me that. I just hate when they say stuff like that and I worry they will do in public, around friends or my crush. my past crushes were both super sexy, and liked me too. they were both light skinned also. the one that I like now is light skinned . he likes me too but stuff like this makes me insecure and wonder if he feels the same. it makes me want to just give up and not even try with him. I know its called self esteem but I just need help on how to not let people get to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• black people stay doing that. I fear for what my sister might have to go through one day because she has a pretty chocolate color and I know how ignorant people are. its a byproduct from slavery and self hatred in our community that hasn't gone away. you said your past crushes were super sexy and liked you. they LIKED YOU, a beautiful dark skinned sista. don't let people get to you. if they aren't clowning your skin, its hair, nose, face, body, etc. some people always have to find something to pick on. your cousin that called you a slave and burnt is a fool. if he's a shade lighter than you and you're a slave what does that make him, a butler? lol

beauty comes in all shades, not just light:

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

and the list goes on, and on. if this guy likes you why be insecure about your skin tone? he's not blind he sees that you're dark and guess what he likes you! I just posted these pics to remind you that many dark women are seen as beautiful so don't let the words and actions of small minded people who are insecure make you feel bad.

What Guys Said 4

• Oh my friend,its 21st century..and lightcoloured guys are out there,moaning for blackgirls..afterall you had xperiencd that..then why did you worry about this silly matter? Worry about how you can behave lovely to your friends..be cheerful.,coz a smiling dark girl is cent percent beautiful..

• I think its about your age...you need to get rid of your insecurities cos dark skin girls are the finest sistas on the planet...there's a stigma about how guys like light skin girls better but everyone knows most brothas like a fine dark cholocate sista anyday. mmmm

• I like nice smooth skin regardless of color...if I had to choose, light brown would be nice, but shade doesn't really matter to me. Seen some really hot, really white, girls, some really hot, really black girls.

Hope that helps...

• im sure they have they have things they are insecure about so you their own guerilla tactics against them.

What Girls Said 3

• you should tell them to educate them self.

starting with the whole african thing I'm egyptian

which is in AFRICA so I am african but in real life people tell me I look white and I have dark mid eastern features I remember I told a girl I was going to dye my hair blond and she was like then you'll look 100% white.

next time they tell you that be like sure I def. look like a Moroccan ! hah their are millions of africans who look white so that whole phrase is just a negative stereotype of africa , that everyone there is very dark & black .

many of the countries are arab [ like egypt ]

and when people criticize the way you look keep moving on

watch this video , its great "

link

• I think the reason you're insecure is becase, from what it sounds like, the hate is mostly coming from your own family. Well, dark skin is beautiful and you should love yourself even if others don't, but you'llk find that someone will love you some day

• From a white girl lol...You are beautiful regardless of color or shade! If anyone judges you for your skin color, then they are biased & ignorant people that you don't need in your life. Beauty comes from within, please see this! Woman love yourself!