I dyed my hair and it turned out to be way too dark! Any tips for how to lighten it?

I am a natural brunette and my hair has a tendency to turn a brassy orange very easily. It was a medium brown, and yesterday I dyed it a dark ash brown (ash to tone down the brassiness). Instead of being a darker brown, it looks more like black! Does anyone know how I can get to to lighten it and to keep the reddish tones from coming through? Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to get brassy orange roots and it drove me crazy! I talked to my hair stylist about it, and she told me it actually is mostly likely due to the water I washed my hair with. It makes sense, because when I was at college taking showers in my dorm room my hair seems to be really red. But when I was at home on breaks or whatever, my hair wouldn't be brassy at all.

ANyways, she recommended using this color conditioner to use one or twice a week, and to my surprise it has worked really good. The stuff I got was kind of expensive, but definitely worth the money. Aveda Clover Color Conditioner.

So I would recommend getting some kind of nice color conditioner. That or change your water... but I think that would be a challenge.

What Guys Said 1

• Frequent shampooing will assist the fading process of the coloured dye in your hair. Just remember if you are going to bleach your hair with any sort of colour again, leave a span of two or so weeks to allow your hair to recuperate, otherwise it will turn into a broomstick.

What Girls Said 3

• sunlight :) I dye my hair a red-ish colour, and the sun helps to fade it :/

or strip the colour and use a lighter dye :)

• Honestly, if you can afford it, go to a salon and get it professionally done. I have the same problem when I use over the counter hair dye products.

• henna rinse?