What does it mean when a guy walks by and stares into your eyes, while smiling? Would he be interested?

There’s this guy I noticed in my university 6 months ago. He’s extremely attractive, but I thought well I’ll never get to talk to him, since it’d be awkward randomly walking up to him and starting a conversation. Now it’s my second year at university and I realized that he’s in my department and is two years senior to me. After that I saw him across the room at the university cafe and was talking to one of my course mates (who I don’t really talk to) and then it looked as though he was looking at me.

Later on, I talked to him at this networking event. Though I’m rather quiet when I meet people for the first time, so I didn’t manage to say much besides where I’ve lived (which he commented on and asked me questions about). Then he cracked a few jokes, which were rather funny. He seems like a sweet, goofy type of guy, which I’m into. Plus, like I said he is extremely good looking and all these girls were crowding around him, some fanned him. So yeah, he mostly talked to whoever was talking to him. And this one girl commented on how he is getting so much attention since he’s so attractive (he was turning red, and said even he feels embarrassed) and to that he replied that she had a boyfriend so why should she mind that he was getting so much attention. So after a while he walked away to chat with his guy friends.

A few days later I saw him walking past me and this loud obnoxious girl who I hang out with (who talked to him at the networking event too), and I pretended not to see him (though I doubt he saw me see him first. But then, when he was 10 meters away she noticed him, squealed hi and waved, so then I thought I better say hi too otherwise I’d seem like a freak. So I turned my head towards him and waved with a smile. But when I turned he was already staring straight into my eyes and smiling. Which I thought was rather odd, since he didn’t know I’d see him and say hi, and he was staring at me instead of at the girl who was actually saying hi.

So my question is, assuming he doesn’t have a girlfriend (given what he told this girl, that since she had a boyfriend why should she mind him getting attention, which implies that if you’re single you can get attention) and isn’t interested in all the mindless idiots who fan him etc do you think, he seems interested in me? Why would he stare at me and smile instead of doing so at a girl who was already greeting him?

Ok so, I added this guy on Facebook a few weeks back and he added me back.

So yesterday I was asking him about this undergraduate project that he took part in and asked him whether he'd be free to talk about it with me and a friend about it.
And basically he said not this week and how it'd be better to email him. So first I was like alright, but how about next week as it'd be easier to explain in person...
And he was like OK but then after that he was like please just fb message me and I'll try my best to answer there. And what kind of questions do you need to be answered.
And eventually he agreed to meet me sometime next week but he seems really ticked off about meeting up with me, even though when I thanked him for agreeing to meet me he said "no worries".
So I don't know I don't want to be seen as annoying and pushy, when clearly he has no interest in meeting me. So I was wondering, since I have no chance of getting him to like me now, what would make me seem less desperate and weird?
Cancelling plans politely, or going there with a friend and asking whatever questions we had
(cause tbh I can ask anyone, this was just an excuse to get to know him since I don't see him around campus that often so the only way we could sit down and chat is by making an appointment to meet :s)?
Cause yeah... I really doubt I have a shot now, so I don't see the point in putting myself out there (being given zero encouragement), showing him I like him, and then being shot down... Please help!
Well I guess I've gotten my answer. We were supposed to meet today at university... I waited for 25 minutes with my friend... He never even showed up...

Most Helpful Girl

• What a lame, loser. He's not even worth your time. Forget about him. I'm sorry he was such a jerk to you.

What Guys Said 8

• He sounds like a regular nice person. From what you've described above, it sounds like he may be interested in you to some extent but he doesn't really know you well enough to make a move on you. Popular guys have the power to choose who he sees or goes out with. It's always a good thing to show him what a great person you are and give him a reason to continue seeing you. It was good of you to make the first move and ask him out. I think you should make the most of the opportunity and meet him up, but then you will have to let him feel like he's in control. He will be resistant to agreeing to meet you up next time, if it seems like you are the one calling the shot rather than him. You can subtly suggest some activity or event that both of you will be interested in and comfortable with, and just tell him to get in touch with you sometime. After a while, he will forget that the idea came from you and will initiate and ask you out - if he is at all interested in you. Good luck.

• Sorry to hear that. If I were him I would probably make the effort to show up just to be a gentleman and help out in case you really need it. That's the problem with going for someone who's too popular though. I would say he's not worth your time, just move on. There are plenty of nice guys around, I'm sure.

• He is looking at you because of the way you carry yourself in public. You come off as being a dignified adult, not as a screaming girl at the Justin Bieber concert. For a person to eye lock another is a very intimate thing. You are gazing at a person's soul when you do this. This means he is definitely interested in getting to know you as a person. Reciprocate his interest. Why not walk up and talk to him?

Any other problems, message me back.

• i think its to early to tell if he likes you or not a lot of charismatic people tend to look you in the eyes and smile when they greet you it creates a feeling of privacy that its only you to and you have his full attention its a way of flirting but doesn't mean he likes you. It may be the reason he gets so much attention because he makes a girl feel special when they talk to him.

• Way too much drama over a guy you barely know. I know it's exciting when you find someone hot and you start to imagine how cool it would be if you were in a relationship w/them, but this guy sounds like he goes through women like a hot knife goes through butter and you would just be another stick of butter to him. You're wasting your time on this guy. Move on.

• he was either shy or trying some phycological stuff on you to make you think of him more, It looks like he has an upper hand in that pass-by relationship of yours

I don't have any advise to give seen as that might be a bad idea... I just give you the mentality of the situation

• it's called eye-lock/eye-sex , I love it , it rarely happens, but it's a very huge turn on for me .It's a feeling like no other. Very deep connection and attraction between us that's undeniable.

• Only one way to find out chat and flirt see if he shows any signs of interest...

What Girls Said 4

• most likely he 's into you.But guys can also be very visual when looking or meeting a beautiful woman.so it's a possibility that he's smiling at you to get the green light to ask you out or just that he wants to be noticed by you and maybe needs the attention.

• just smile at him and see if he approaches you, otherwise just say 'hi' casually and see if he strikes up a conversation

most good-looking guys are complaining that girls never approach them - so I say just take a chance ;)

• Most guys in general are complaning girls never approach them. :)

• maybe ..there is a chance ...talk to him more ...be more around him and you'll figure it out :)

• what a misleading jerk.