Break-Up Through Instant Messaging?

What are your views on this?

How does it compare to a text message break-up, which are typically frowned upon?

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to know what people generally thought. No, it's not me that's breaking up through an IM :p

Most Helpful Girl

• any way to break up with a significant other, besides face-to-face, just shows you they do not care enough for you to let you down the right way. I guess instant message is a little more personable than a text, but they both still suck.

What Girls Said 6

• Well I'm going to say the flip side since everyone is saying it's cowardly.

I was dumped through a text message once. True, I texted him asking him if he was dumping me because I hadn't heard from him in almost a week. He broke my heart, and I was just glad he wasn't there to watch me ball my eyes out. I was able to act composed, and carefree about the whole thing... Even though I was really falling apart.

It was stupid, and cowardly of him... But I was relieved. I didn't want him to see me like that.

• IM break up is screaming "i'm afraid to see you face to face, I'm a coward"

If you have respect for the person (assuming this is talking about you, or just using "you" in general), it should be done face to face.

• Thats worse.

• Not good, that's just messed up. The least they deserve is to get a face-to-face meeting.

• Nah, Bubbleboy, that's just stinky.

• cowardly way. but at least he told her. I've had a guy break up with me by just disappearing

What Guys Said 4

• cowardly.

• Lame, face to face is the only way.

• You don't ask a girl out over text/IM and you don't break up with a girl over text/IM

It is frowned apon!

• What if he asked you out over text, has never called you, and the only conversations you have are text wise (when you aren't together)?

• Even so, if you've dated in person (assuming this isn't long distance), a text/IM break up is just plain rude. At the very least, a phone call should suffice (if you've gone out for say, 3 months only), but the longer relationships should be in-person for break-ups. It's moreso a sign of respect for the other person, even if you hate their guts if they did something wrong. (that part is debatable, you can text to make it a cold slap if you want if they cheated or w/e)

• Still just as wimpy.