Where to buy a puppy?

I am considering getting a puppy for the family for Christmas but have been searching on google and haven't really gotten to far. All the sites I have found seem to be outdated. I am looking at getting an Australian Shepherd. I am leaning away from adopting only because I hate the process. I hate how you have to be interrogated to rescue a dog and most places now a day charge almost as much as a breeder. I rather not spend hours filling adoption applications.

Anyway does anyone know of any decent sites that have directories of breeders? The closest I have found for me was Lancaster, PA which about 3 hours and is little too far.

Most Helpful Girl

• have you considered a pound? not all dogs there are mean. my mom got a german shepard there 9 years ago and he is a great dog and is a very important part of the family. we got a few dogs from there and they were beautiful , friendlyand so sweet. you should look into it. its worth it, plus your saving a doggy life. that's a nice Christmas present. good luck!

• Yes I have considered it. All the dogs I have ever had have been adopted. I have never taken this route before. I am still considering it and checking petfinders daily to see if anything pop ups. Like I said the price on some is a joke. I was just looking at puppies on there about an hour away. The person wants 350$ to adopt a dog. Then I need to get references in order have someone come check my house. Give them my vet info. Or pay 400$ for a pure breed and be on my way.

• Like I said it seems like way too much trouble when you are rescuing a dog. I know pounds are a little less crazy about this stuff. I think the local pound dogs are 70$.

What Girls Said 7

• do you check the newspapers? We found an amish family near Reading PA through the newspaper that was breeding jack russells when we bought ours. There are a lot of other families that breed dogs in that area, although I don't know how far that is for you.

I think if you go on akc.org they have a section for future owners that lists breeders, so you can try that too

• Yea I have a friend who is family friends with an Amish Breeder and I went there once when I was really little. Unfortunately its about 3 hours each way.

• $70 isn't bad for years of laughter and happiness = ) plus they have some pretty dang cute pups there

• $350 a dog? man that better come with a case of beer and a Christmas tree... well have you looked on craigslist? you can find anything on that.. including pets.. and the prices are usually decent and there are pics and descriptions

• lol I should ask. :) Yea I have I am in New Jersey and have search the Philadelphia, New York and all of New Jersey sections. I might just have to take a road trip to Lancaster. I have a friend who has boughten a few dogs over there. All healthy I gotta see where exactly.

• Go to the pound and adopt a puppy that way- they need good homes and they're generally cheaper.

• michael vick

• newspaper ads are good for that

also craigslist

• I'm from the Lancaster, PA area. :P

Your best bet would probably be looking in a phonebook under the yellow pages for dog breeders and farms. Or, you could try visiting pet shops and seeing the breeds and if they carry Australian Shepherds.

• I've been to the Amish country 3 or 4 times when I was little. But I haven't been back lol. Yea Ill probably have to pull a phonebook out it if I have one. Thanks.

• Interesting. Was it a smaller/privately owned pet shop? My sister's a vet tech, so she's very wary of pet shops after seeing a lot of cases where animals weren't cared for properly.

• Yep it was just a small pet shop.

What Guys Said 0