Are Your Materialistic? Do Material Items Make You Happy?

Last year and the previous years,material items made me happy.My mom and I would go on outrageous shopping sprees,I would go to ULTA or Sephora and buy hundreds of dollars worth of make-up that I'd never wear,and buy drugstore brand mascaras that would eventually be thrown out only to never have been used.But now I don't wear make-up.

I LOVED designer handbags,and I would get a new one every single month and it would make me so happy and give me an adrenaline rush...

I'd buy like 10 pairs of shoes at a time and it was awesome.

But now,these things no longer make me happy:/ Which sucks,I guess I'm happy on my own,but it was nice while that little high lasted.

For my birthday I got the Flip video camera and the Clarisonic,but I wasn't excited about them...I don't know why.I'm supposed to get a Nook Color and Touchscreen digital camera for Christmas but I don't anticipate such things.It's just "whatever"

They no longer make me happy,nor do I anticipate compliments about them or the slight jealousy I'd see in other peoples eyes...weird but I can finally say "I don't need ____" I just want...but I also still want a lot.

Are you materialistic?Do material items make you happy?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, and I never had 'nice things' in my life, and I never wished I had, (I'm not being hypocrite, I'm being honest).

In my country, millions of people don't have what to eat, and a tiny piece of society are millionaires...I mean, there's not a strong middle class, though, thank God, this scenario is changing now in these last years, as we became the 8th economy in the world, and the 2nd in all Americas, but this is all recent...

I never really understood how material and 'nice' things could bring happyness...maybe that's how I was raised..(I'm a christian), and when I remember about Jesus Christ, the God alive (according to my believes)! He was poor.. and He taught about life and true feelings, and that's what really matters to me.

I want a comfortable dignity life to me and my family...I don't need fancy stuff to be happy...but I obviously need a faithful man by my side, health happy children, a good and decent work, and most of all, Jesus guiding me and my life/family. That's all that count to me.

What Guys Said 10

• "My mom and I would go on outrageous shopping sprees,I would go to ULTA or Sephora and buy hundreds of dollars worth of make-up that I'd never wear,and buy drugstore brand mascaras that would eventually be thrown out only to never have been used."

Gotta love American women.

• not really, I usually buy books if I have extra money.

• i have thousands of books my dorm room was basically a big stack of books. chicks would get instantly wet chicks like smart dudes

• I think most people are at least a little materialistic, some more than others. I enjoy being new things such as nice clothes and camera equipment (in my spare time I take photos and this costs me thousands of dollars). I think photographic equipment is my only real materalistic avenue though, but it makes me happy.

• I guess I kinda am. I like buying new things but I wouldn't be sad if I wasn't buying new things. I spend way too much money and a bunch of nothing though.

• Not really. I actually don't like spending money, and I don't get the most enjoyment out of material things. I like doing things, like working, writing, reading interesting things, doing something physical, things like that. Buying things does very little for me. Actually, I'm a pretty frugal person so I don't even like spending money. It makes me uncomfortable lol

• Yes I'm very materialistic, however possessions are not the sole source of my satisfaction/happiness.

• no I'm deep

• "I'm just board"

Wow.Ok.I win.

Bye-Bye.

• Wait your saying that he's not deep and you don't even know him? That's a bit judgmental don't you think?

• Yeah they do and I hate used things. I always have to have brand new and the best I can possibly get.

• I'm a hyper-materialist. I'm extremely materialistic.

• yes we are all, that's the way the media and advertisements brainwashed us to be

What Girls Said 12

• No.. they don't really. There are things that are simply nice to have, but I guess I've never been okay with going out and blowing my hard earned money on things that I'd probably not get much use out of... or things that weren't necessary or practical. I'm a tightwad pretty much, hah. I've got a list a mile long of things I want but I don't think they'd make me any happier than what I am.

• Kind of. With most of my money, I buy stuff like books or music or art supplies or photography stuff, things along those lines, but in my mind that is more like spending money on an experience (doing something I enjoy) rather than to just have stuff. And yeah, buying that stuff makes me happy.

Don't get me wrong, I like having stuff too. Of course, I spend money on clothes and makeup, etc., and I like them, but when I buy them, it's kind of like a short period of thinking, hey, this is pretty cool! and I am kind of excited. But it's not something that makes me genuinely happy for any significant amount of time.

So, yeah, I'm somewhat materialistic, but they're not the most important thing in my life, or my only source of happiness.

• i use to be also! I remember when my boyfriend bought me a bracelet I bitched to him so bad because it was silver and I wanted gold. OMG I know so horrible. but I always did worked for everything I have, I barley ask my parents for anything . buying things does make me happy even if its just cute socks.

i wanted a clarisonic :( but there was no way I was gonna pay that much for a cleansing tool if it might not even made a difference on my skin.

• I have never been materialistic. I grew up in a working class family so it was not even an option. I am glad though, I learned to value what is important in life, what really matters. I think a lot of young people need to learn the difference between a want and a need. I had everything I needed and still do, but as far as wants, I can do without them.

• Nope. Sometimes I go on random shopping sprees. Once I did this with some friends because I just felt the urge. I bought quite a bit. As I accumulated more items, I started to feel worse. So I bought these things. They asked me that now that I got everything I wanted, if I was happy. I thought about it. Honestly, it didn't make me feel any different from what I felt before. I'd just go home with the new things I bought, toss them on my bed, and stare at them with a sigh. Material items don't really make me happy. I don't know why, but even though I can afford it, spending money makes me feel intensely guilty a lot of times. Besides, they're just things after all. They do nothing for me. I only ever appreciate good books. Otherwise, I'm not materialistic at all. Believe it or not, giving makes me ecstastic. I love to give =P

• I don't know if I'd say material things make me legit happy, but I do enjoy shopping sometimes. If I had the choice to spend the day with my family or get a new shirt or something I'd definitely choose family. I would rather spend my money on experiences, like vacations or concerts, than something material.

• I'll admit, material things do make me happy...shopping takes my mind off of a lot of things going on in my life and buying things I don't necessarily need makes me feel a little better...

• I'm not at all. I've always had to earn the money I have so I've never had enough to really just blow it on a bunch of meaningless possessions. My family is really big on saving and putting towards something you really want - like a holiday or better car etc. And most of my wardrobe is either hand-me-downs or from op shops.

I value experiences and relationships more than possessions. I'm currently saving to go to Canada and America and do a working holiday! :D

• I am and I'm not ashamed to admit it. liking things isn't a bad thing, it gives me motivation to work and earn money.

• i'm a material girl fa sho. I don't NEED THEM but I sure really like them! I don't have very much money so I can't be as materialistic as I'd like

• I used to be uber materialistic in high school. Always going shopping with my dad's credit cards, buying whatever I wanted... I've kind of grown out of it since then though. I've realized that I don't need a bunch of designer, name brand, trendy material things to make me happy. Really, it's not all that important anyway and it's kind of fruitless and wasteful to blow money on things I don't need. Especially when I don't work for it.

I still love shopping. Don't get me wrong. It's just that now I really think about whether or not I need something and if I'm going to get frequent use out of before I buy it.

• i collect earrings for about 10 years now, but I also am a budget buyer

and I do love makeup but I only buy what I would actually use