Why do black guys show their underwear?

So I'm out shopping with some friends and a group of young, black guys pass by us in the mall. Every one of them were exposing their under pants.

I don't get it. I mean, I am sure I would get some looks if I publicly exposed my thong, but, that is TMI.

Does anyone know why they do this?

**Note: I wanted answers, not insults or a condescending attitude about how old I am. The only thing that separates all of you from me, age-wise, is about 15 years on average.
If you are going to be ready for "the wheel-chair" and snotty remarks from people not much older than you at my age, I'd call it decent karmic retribution. Future posters, please bear this in mind.
"drummerdude27" is a case of "the idiot that won't quit". He/She/It wants to have the last word, apparently... It has diarrhea of the mouth and a constipation of ideas.
As it stands, however, a demitasse would fit its head like a sombrero.
Therefore, it shall not overcome! XD

Most Helpful Guy

• They have no class.

What Guys Said 7

• well it isn't just black people, but I'm not here to call people up as biggots if they aren't going too far

most guys do it wether they know it or not. I wear my underwear above my pants so my stud belts don't rub on bare skin and I feel like pants too high are a little uncomfprtable. I show the waistband of my boxers maybe a little more but my shirt covers it.

sometimes you can't help but notice it, but it seems like you were looking to see if these guys boxers were showing. if it bothers you don't look and if it catches your attention, forget about it and move on. you sound like a person around your age talking because those people are parents or soon to be parents. no harm no foul. just forget about it.

hope this helps

• I would suggest you not make any presumptions about my age, my childbearing prospects, or what I should or should not do... I asked a straight-forward question about a cultural phenomena that puzzles me and my friends. I am not looking at some juvenile's ass because it thrills me but(t---pardon the pun), because "the ass" is being flaunted for the world to see; in a public place. I will look where I damn well please, thank you very much, as I have a right to be there too.

• no my sentences are actually looking more cohesive than yours oh and I'm in high school so why would I drink? that's stupid. and I will Shut The Fuck Up you pompus, defensive, rude, and vile, woman

• retardation

• probably because you're an old bitter piece of sh*t.

• First.. Lmao at underpants..2nd they do it because these days its cool.i mean kids these days are lookin up to people like little wayne.and that's what he does!

• U wanted to knw y and I told u...!

• My guess iz your not very attractive.!

• Did you ever copy a retarded style from a role model, in high school? I know I did. Most will probably grow out of it once they need to get through an interview and support themselves financially. As far as the exact reason... I've always assumed it's an effective, cheap/free way of sticking it to the man. (Makes all the white people say "Why do they where their pants like that?")

What Girls Said 8

• Maybe if you had a few black men within your social circle you could ask one of them. But I doubt that you do being that you're asking the people on this site. The point is, without even recognizing it, you have excluded certain cultures from your social, unconciously or subconciously and there's no excuse for it. How often do you hear black people or any other culture ask white people why they do what they do? There are plenty of things about your culture that we don't get but we don't continuously ask you guys why you do it. We accept that it is a social norm & shrug it off but white people often tend to feel that the things that they do ARE the social norm. So they make it out to be that everything that other groups of people do as abnormal. That is complete BS. Think about that for a minute before you respond. You will realize that the only time you are reminded that you are white is when you're in a room full of black people which probably never happens. But white people insist on reminding black people that they are black & that they are "different". You really should try to make a concious effort to get your head around that.

• If I had witnessed a group of white, oriental, mediterranean, Somoan, or polka dot males bopping by with their pants pulled down and their underwear exposed, I would wonder why. You are extremely defensive about this so maybe you need to broaden your own horizons, my dear.

• Why do white girls women always go the plastic surgeon? Let me help you understand the point I am attempting to make. There are certain things we may not understand about one anothers cultures but instead of making inferences & grouping people together & excluding them from your social circle, how about just accepting that their are certain things that we do amongst our cultures and whether we accept it or not, it is our prerogative to do what we choose. We decide how we want to wear our clothing. We decide if we want to go the plastic surgeon. We as individuals decide what we want to do. And may I ask you, what do you expect to gain by knowing why black men wear their pants down low? Does if affect you in any way? What business of it is yours? No one asks you why you do what you do. There is only negative inferences drawn by asking a question like this. I will assume that you do not like the way it looks and therefore you have drawn negative misconceptions of black men as a result, am I correct? Don't answer that as I doubt you will answer it truthfully. It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't like the low drooping pants as a fashion trend either but I've seen just as many white boys rock that style as I have black men. So I don't let my dislike of a fashion trend, allow me to draw inferences about a whole entire group of people specifically because I do not understand it. The point I am driving home is MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. If you don't like it, don't look. Nothing will be gained by you asking a question like this. And besides, I know plenty of black men who wear their pants fitted and I hardly believe that a particular fashion trend is restricted to only one group of people. It sounds like it might be time for you to get out of Mayberry...

• First off,i am going to address your age because you should know that it's not ONLY African Americans who show their underwear.You are like 40...how don't you know that? I mean my grandmother knows that. Why is it that everything negative,blacks get the flack for it...i mean damn! Secondly,check this website and see how many questions are listed concerning "SAGGING" (which is a style whereas you sagg your pants and your underwear are exposed.) I'm pretty damn sure,that everyone asking about,"How far should I sag my pants?"...are not all BLACK. To just point out one Sect of people for doing that is just complete ignorance in my eyes.

• It has more to do with them being young than them being black. Calm down George Zimmerman.

• okay first of all why are you generalizing black guys. You sound like an uneducated, silly girl. SOME guys, regardless of their race, sag their pants because its the style. Go grow a brain why don't you...

• it's not just black guys I have seen both races I'm sure there's other races that do this.

• i think that

1. its not all black guys

2. other people than black guys show it

3. I'm just saying that it pisses me off sometimes, like pull up your pants dammit lol I don't want to see your boxers lol or if their pants are sagging or something like go buy a belt but that's just in my oppinion

4. its their style I guess nowadays but I think they look stupid (again my oppinion lol)

• Hip hop style

And obviously ALL black people don't do that