Would a girl with more status and money date a poorer guy?

We men are not usually shallow when it comes to girls we date in terms of money or status, but in the other hand, girls seem to be super shallow about guys.

I was wondering if a girl that has more money than the guy could date a guy with less money. I mean maybe she has a bachelor degree and a professional career, and he works in the Subway or in the 7Eleven.

Could love happen here?

• No, girls are very shallow when it comes to money
  • Yes, girls don't care about a guy's status
  • No, only guys can look beyond status
  • Yes, but only one night stand
  • No, for girls money and status are more important than love
The question is how many of these votes are honest.
Right!

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 25

• Here's the thing. The majority of Females are super shallow' they're just super materialistic. That's the majority of females. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not like this though. If a guy is an amzing person who cares what he has? That's me though.

• Very honest.

• I find it funny how many downs I got when a lot of people know this is true. Girls, look at you and your friends, if it's not you I know you have at least one friend that does look at a guy for his money. Be honest here.

• I could definitely date a guy with a lower status, but I personally am a little shallow when it comes to education at the moment because I am a college student. I understand that college isn't for everyone, but I just can't understand why some of the guys around my age have no aspirations.

College aside, I have more of a problem with a guy if he doesn't have a drive to do better in life. Does this Subway/7Eleven worker have a plan? Does he WANT to eventually do something more in regards to his career? It is much more appealing if a guy is a "go-getter" rather than just settling for minimum wage jobs. If you want 'more' in life, you have to go get it.

But honestly, the better question is... could a guy handle dating a woman who makes more money than them? Because I feel like a lot of guys wouldn't be able to handle it and constantly doubt the woman, thinking she 'looks down on him' even if she doesn't. She just wants him to be the best he can be because she sees the kind of man he could be.. he's worth more than a minimum wage job. *coughsomeoneIknowcough*

• And, I forgot to mention. All of this would go out the window if I was head over heels for the guy. The differences in status might make it difficult and could eventually deteriorate the relationship, but when I'm in love, I'm in love. In the long run, the most important thing is how someone makes you feel when you're with them. If their personality is your perfect match.. who cares if they work at the 7Eleven. As long as they don't mooch, that is ;)

• Yeah, but sometimesgoing to school is way too expensive, remember you have to pay rent, buy food, pay car inssurance, etc.. After food and gas and car payments and utilities, there is no money left for books, materials or tuition. Plus no everyone is willing to go into debt with a bank for life or some don't even have credit for it.

• Yeah, I know. I figure I'll get over this when I'm out of college and working. Just atm, the only people I really meet are college students. XD Depends on the guy, really.

• My answer is really "sort of B" -- We'll date them, but not because we don't care about the status. Depending on the age at which we meet our partner, we might see his potential and want to witness the unfolding of that lovely potential, that spirit, etc.

Sometimes status and money come later -- they do end up being important if you're serious and want to start a family. Being too idealistic about such things poses a threat to your future together. I would definitely say that it's not the only or most important factor, though. Really, trust, honesty and love are the most important. Once you have those, the rest will most likely follow.

• Yes, it could. My aunt earns more money than her husband does (she's a doctor, he's specialized in computer sciences and works longer hours than she does, but she still earns more!) and it worked out perfectly fine. There are those girls who will be extremely picky about who they marry/date though. Like "he has to have a stable job, enough money, a house" - but in the end, does that matter? I'd marry or consider a serious relationship with a guy who had decent manners and good enough education for us to abide by and that'd be enough. I guess in the end, it all depends on the girl. Women make a lot of mistakes when it comes to dating and are very aware of what society, family, friends etc. will think of them. I've noticed they go for looks or money over a decent, educated guy who earns an average salary but hey, that's just to show how shallow our gender is. Not generalizing but most of my friends would pick a rich/hot guy over an average-looking/not-as-rich one if given the chance. And then they ask why divorce rates are going up. :/

• Well in that case, he is a professional too, so even if she makes more money, they are of similar status, so it doesn't apply.

• What if she's a housewife & he's the breadwinner but earns enough money to support his family but ain't wealthy just normal...she won the lottery and became rich, what will happen?will she change?

• I can't give an honest answer to this poll because my answer isn't even there. I could definitely date a guy who was less wealthy/didn't make as much money/wasn't as successful but I just have one thing I need and that is for you to have a job. I would never work my ass off and date a guy who didn't have a job or a vehicle. The last thing I need when I'm working just to keep my own head above water is a mooch draggin' me under. How much money a guy makes is irrelevant, the point is that he is a)working and what would be even better is b)working at something he is passionate about or at least enjoys.

• A vehicle is more important than love.

• Looks have always mattered a certain amount to women. But each person has their own type, so not all women want a certain kind of guy. And most women aren't dating George Clooney look-alikes, nor do I think they'd dump their less attractive BFs to date George Clooney.

• See that's even worse.

• this was difficult because your answers are all or nothing. some girls would date him, others wouldn't. it depends on the girl, and it also depends on the guy (his personality, appearance, their chemistry, etc.). it isn't either all about money or not about money at all. there is a lot that goes into a relationship.

• Yeah, saying the truth is hard.

• speaking personally, I don't care, but I know a lot of girls that are VERY shallow and all they care about is money

• education, bachelors degree is a MUST

when it comes to money, I need a guy with a decent job yes, a guy that has goals and wants a better job yes, but money...yeah I wouldn't date a BROKE dude who never wanted to take me out, but even if he was poor and tried to do things for me and take me places its alright...as long as he got his sh*t together if I were to marry him

• Girls are shallow when it comes to money just like guys are shallow when it comes to looks.

If you were uglier than her, you'd have a better chance than if you were poorer than her. Its basic evolutionary biology.

• Yes! I'm doing exactly that...I was brought up in a wealthy family but always raised to never think of myself as better than anyone. My boyfriend was not so fortunate. He grew up in a not so wealthy family . But, I love him just as I would if he were wealthy. Social class means nothing and money by all means should not be considered in relationships. Girls are not as shallow as most men would think

• That's like so rare, I'm really impressed.

• thankyou...and to reply to the answer above mine...it's not just in movies...you just haven't look in the right places...there are some girls out there that could care less about money...if I cared about money...i would've never found my guy...he's the best thing that could've ever happened to me and I wouldn't change him a bit

• Thank you! There are the people out there who don't care. But there are alos a large amount, that it means just about everything to.

• Some people are shallow, caring about money or looks or status or fancy cars. Some are not. It doesn't matter what gender you are. Some girls are shallow, some guys are shallow. Some girls are not shallow, some guys are not shallow. Some are in between. Etc.

• Mosy likely not in my opinion.

• I don't care about his Status! If he loves me and I love him then we are happy! Some girls do care about money but you must also look and see how that girl was raised too.

• Sure...I don't see a problem, as long as he doesn't mooch off of her they'd be fine! :)

• I wouldn't date a really poor guy if I was very successful but I wouldn't rule out less successful or medium income men. It also depends on how old they both are.

• Yeah, I bet you wouldn't.

• Status won`t mean much if the guy is a jerk to the girl.

• Yeah, that usually helps.

• Well I think that money and status doesn't matter as long as the guy and the girl have true feelings for each other. If they are both shallow, I doubt there is anyway of them working it out when they just care about money and status.

• I have no issues with a guy that has a poor status (low paid job) because that could happen to anyone, but as long as he not a leech and works hard. I definately wouldn't date a guy who is uneducated.

• Girls don't care about the status of a guy as long as it is equal or higher than her own. She sounds driven, and therefore will be looking for a driven guy

• LOL! Then theyu do care for status, duh. Don't vote for they don't care if you think like this ^^^, 'cause that's retarded.

• Almost every female will answer:

B: Yes, girls don't care about a guy's status

lol go figure

• Love lasts and money decomposes :p

• For a while until she figures out that she can't cope.

• In asia...YES! because parents will disown you.

• I know a girl who's upper-middle class and dates a guy who lives in a slum (he got a scolarship to study in a private school). They get along insanely well.

• I wonder if she would date him without the scholarship.

• I have my degree and my man works at Home Depot and has no degree... I love him more than anyone! It can happen and happens all the time. Society is accepting it more and more. It used to be unacceptable for the woman to make more money but things have changed!

• Awesome. This kick ass and gives hope to the human race.

• =) woohoo! Haha

What Guys Said 11

• Only the good women will have anything to do with a guy without much money in the US. At least among the mainstream women; women in immigrant and minority communities are much less inclined that way.

There aren't many such women but they are worth searching for!

The poll is interesting in that the girls won't admit it's this way.. 28 out of 34 are lying flat out about this. I'm not saying that many are shallow and venal, but that many aren't willing to admit what their sisters are generally really like!

The guys' responses, I think, correspond more to reality. I'm a little surprised at how deceitful the women are being on this question.

The six women who chose #!, 3,4 ot 5 please identify yourselves and take a bow for your honesty!

• The OP is obviously verry bitter about something. People like to associate with what they're familiar with, and that's largely themselves. I'm sorry that's the reality. When we become adults, we find people who are similar to us, understand us, share our values, etc. I'm an entrepreneur with a business and most of my friends and contacts are similar. I haven't met any female entrepreneurs, but I also can't really date a girl who works at McDonald's (outside of colleg) and has a screw-the-boss attitude. That doesn't make me a jerk, it makes me want a relationship that will last based on shared interests and experiences. So don't come here and ask a question and then snipe at everyone's answers and call them disingenuous.

• And by the way, if guys are so concerned about being judged, then how about accomplishing something more? If a woman went to college, worked hard, and got a good job, should she be with a guy who didn't strive for as much? It's not about money or status but effort. The trust fund girl is largely a figment of TMZ. Most people get where they are through work. There are good guys who also have money/degrees, just like there are hot women who are very smart. So if you're smart, why settle?

• Now you're a mind reader, also, huh? Yep, I'm trying to look cool for the ladies who I'll never meet, most of whom were probably so repulsed with your question that they answered and left without reading your invective with everyone whom you disagree with. The fact that the world owes you nothing doesn't mean you're not angry.

• See, you are still don't it, you'll nevr get laid that way man.

• Well, this is a very biased poll. Either they completely disregard your status, or will pick you up and dump you like garbage. They do take status into consideration, but it doesn't mean *everything*.

The question is more of do your other redeeming qualities make up for your lack in status. It can. Most of the time it doesn't have anything to do with status, but your attitude. People with high status generally are pretty confident, comfortable people, whereas people with lower status tend to be twitchy and highly reactive, defending their few good qualities from any harsh judgement. Girls don't like guys who have to stroke their own ego to feel good.

I worked at Subway, and while I didn't hook up with anyone while I was there (kind of detoxing), that doesn't mean I couldn't. Just don't talk about your job on the date.

• You don't talk about it because you know how girls are.

• Word. Someone is insanely bitter.

• Lol, you can't base someone on comments, people's emotions are temporary. One minute you are happy, one minute you are sad, or angry, or joyful, etc..

• pssshhhh what a bunh of sh*t man, girls do care about status more than man, that is a fact the girls whos say yes were girls that didn't have many choices, or with issues that decided to fix the man somehow. Also just wait until they are old enough when they are thinking to get married.

• The sad thing is that many claim B, but it's a lot more like E. Not that it's entirely their fault and it is something that I believe is dying a bit, but for generation after generation the idea was always women secured their life through the man's status and so their status/wealth mattered. Granted over the last hundred years that's been decreasing, but it's still a part of many societies and it's really kinda sh*tty. Women might claim that it doesn't factor in, yet they themselves seem to have a problem with a guy who is "unmotivated" or something even though I've seen that guy to be perfectly motivated, just not towards things like wealth.

• I think usually, it's meant to be the guy who has the money in the relationship. The guy is the one who has to treat the girl to restaurant meals, holidays, outings etc. You can't be cheap and expect the girl to pay for things, that's the man's job. I know it may sound unfair to some. For many years it's supposed to be the man's job to take charge!

From what I've heard, many girls go for successful, popular men over the ones with less money and status.

The sad truth is that girls don't date hobos.

But as long as you have a place to live and some sort of job and get enough money you should be okay, you don't have to be rich.

• I married a woman that makes twice as much money as me. She is a doctor. So yes, it can happen.

If something like that mattered to her, I wouldn't have had anything to do with her in the first place.

• How many are honest? about 0 of those who voted B. The others? Quite true.

• Primary source: LiveScience.com – Wed, Jun 27, 2012

Reposted: link

Entitled: study shows 75 Percent of Women Say They Won't Date Unemployed Men.

• Wow look at all those liars.

• I think it varies from woman to woman. In my experience, the older the woman gets, the more picky they become on how much money the guy makes (I've also seen it backfire on some women, who were way to picky and grew older and alone). Some people are just shallow, feelings come second in a relationship for them, I've seen these women become completely miserable as well - but they have their financial stability! You will run into people like this, its best to just avoid them and find someone else. The problem is a lot of women go for the wrong type of guy and get run through the ringer and become miserable. After a while they just want a man that will treat them right. So, could love happen here - absolutely. But it all depends on what type of person she is.

• Yeah, is pretty sad what these women go through before they see the mistake.

• And usually its with another mans kid in tow. I can deal with some issues, but caring for another mans child is where I draw the line. Especially when the kid was used as a band aid for her previous relationship.