Why won't my hair dye?!

So; starting from the beginning (this won't take long I swear); I first dyed my brown hair black with a home hair coloring kit. it was alright for a few days, but then it completely washed out. so I tried it again a few weeks later, and the same thing happened! so I got it dyed - black again - at a professional salon with professional dye, and the same thing happened again! what's wrong with my hair?! its naturally shiney and quite silky if that helps at all. please make the effort to comment on anything you can, at all. all information is seriously appreciated and welcomed. thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok I just recently learned this from my hair stylist.. in order to keep hair color in longer it is very important to use a shampoo that has a low Ph level. I didn't really know what that meant but she just said any shampoo/conditioner that is specifically for 'color treated' hair is what you should use. Also don't use steaming hot water to wash it. It also depends on the kind of product you salon uses. I have gone to a few different places and found that the more $$ I spent the better outcome of my hair. I would rather spend more to have my color stay in longer. This might not be true everywhere but it just happened to be in my area! Hope this helps and good luck! :)

What Guys Said 1

• My hair won't dye either and I dint know why :(

What Girls Said 3

• how long do you wait befor you wash it?when you wash it do you use cold water,hot water?what kind of shampoo do you use?and who long do you wait befor you use shampoo?oh and when you use the box dyes what kind do you get?

• i would wash my hair about a week before I would actualy dye it - so it would be really, umm, dirty. and that didn't seem to have that much affect, it did, but only very slightly. and I can't remember exactly what I used; but it was a schwarzkopf one and loriel (or something like that), so they were decent well known brands - about ?5-?7 a box. so I don't know what went wrong :S and I use warm/hot water, I didn't know that would make a difference though.

• well loriel,to me I think is one of the best home dyes you can by that's what I use of my hair lol but yeah if you dye your hair when its dirty the dye should hold better.but try leaving the dye in your hair a little longer then what the box says.and when you wash it out don't use shampoo and washing it out with cooler water should help.

• ok, thanks very much; I was just so annoyed that it won't dye properly. but aparently black is the hardest colour to dye hair anyway. but thanks again, and I will try that!

• Same- I feel for you. No color stays in these golden locks. And what does go in usally is dimmer color than want it was supposed to be.

• Try not washing your hair for say, a week, and then try dying it. When it's dirty it's more likely to absorb the dye.