What IS Victoria's Secret? Anyone know?

Just want to know if there's a story behind the name, I was thinking along the lines of Queen Victoria and maybe her beauty or something? Though I don't actually know if she was beautiful or not. . .but if she was I guess Victoria's secret could be the secret to beauty? If you're wondering, this just came up after shopping there with friends : )

Most Helpful Girl

• In The Social Network there was a back story given on Victoria's Secret. I have no idea if it's accurate or authentic, but I don't see it wouldn't. Basically, this man was ashamed to buy lingerie for his wife so he started a store - called Victoria's Secret. It was then sold to the Limited for millions of dollars.

I found this blurb online- Roy Raymond established Victoria's Secret in the San Francisco area during the 1970s. It is reported Roy wanted a cosy and inviting atmosphere for his store, and as a result it is thought, created the image of a Victorian boudoir. In 1982, he sold his catalogue operation and three stores to the Limited, now operating as Limited Brands.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• The origin of a company name is often a mystery. What we discovered, (besides the fact that Heidi Klum has been chosen to wear the Victoria's Secret jewel-encrusted Fantasy Bra a record three -- count 'em, three! -- times) is that there is no one "secret."

The Victoria of Victoria's Secret likely refers to the British queen. Ipso facto, one can conclude the aforementioned "secret" is merely part of a clever branding strategy, alluding to the titillating possibility that the prudish monarch (who at one point during her reign went into seclusion for 25 years) liked to wear sexy lingerie like the stretch lace Miracle Bra. Lucky Prince Albert.

But despite what some would say was a cultivated aura of Anglicism, Victoria's Secret started in the early 70s as a small lingerie shop in San Francisco. The store was decorated, according to Les Wexner, CEO of Victoria's parent company, like a Victorian brothel, complete with red leather sofas.

Not so secret, perhaps, is that over the years, the company has been the subject of various protests and accusations. Some claim it promotes hyper-sexualized images of women. And in 2003, the Supreme Court ruled that a small Kentucky sex shop called "Victor's Little Secret" did not infringe on the company's trademark.

• Thanks for the informed answer, that's pretty much what I found online when I looked it up : )

• her secret is that She's a man