I am balding! I'm too young :'(

I am only 17 :(..

Hair line is receding through the sides and on the crown. I have my hair sort of medium length shaggy, which has kept the receding from being noticed for a while.. And I couldn't decide whether I was really balding or not.. But now I am 100% sure as it is noticeably getting worse, and both my parents agree...

There is no way I can escape having to shave my hair really short by the end of 2011, otherwise it will look ridiculous. Actually it's kinda looking bad now.. Well it's slowly gotten worse for a year or two.

I know I should shave it short now BUT.. This is really annoying, one of my ears sticks out.. And I don't want it being noticed.. Plus I don't think my head is a good shape for being bald.. Some people look cool bald but I don't think I will.. Family can't really afford to get my ear pinned now. Cost like 3K+ for a good surgeon..There are probably cheaper less experienced ones though.

I am thinking about buying a hat. Like this one:

link

Is it ok? I like it. I'm thinking about starting a hat collection.. One for every occasion.

Also if you wanna link me to cool hats, do so.
Another problem with me gonig bald is that I'm not the most masculine guy... Tough guys look fine being bald but me.. I'm not so sure.
Is it bad? (Rhetorical question):

i52.tinypic.com/ta5wzo.png

i55.tinypic.com/e9w2mp.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't advise you to wear hats, at least if you're insecure about the hair loss. People will pick up on it, and attack any perceived flaws. Covering up is a really bad solution to hair loss full stop. People can always tell, trust me. I remember I was receding a bit at the front, it wasn't necessarily hugely advanced, but I was probably on 20 or so at the same time. Naturally I would style my hair to compensate for it. I did notice people staring at my hairline, and various other things. In short, people will begin to pick up on it if they sense something wrong. Moreover, there will always be more formal situations where people will expect you to take it off, a bad habit to get into. Furthermore, with regard to meeting new people and new women, you don't want to create a certain impression with a hat, and then for you to take it off, and to possibly get unexpected reactions.

It's good that your natural instinct is to shave it off. There are treatment options out there, but they basically amount to butchery, erectile dysfunction, huge financial burden, and ultimately you're never free from the insecurity of it all, because you're constantly checking the results and whether it's noticeable to others. A lot of people don't realize this.

I can't comment on how your ear looks, I haven't seen how you look. But we don't tend to focus our own flaws, with other people often not even noticing any problem; no one is perfect too. With regard to worrying that it won't suit you. Hmm, I thought exactly the same thing, actually I genuinely thought it would look horrific. As it turns out, it looks rather good, and I still get female attention. It's one of those things, where you can't tell til you go ahead and do it. The majority of people who I've seen with a shaved head look decent, or at least respectable.

I feel for you, it's daunting to have to deal with that at such a young age. All I can tell you, is I razor shave my head, and I love it! I'm genuinely at the stage where I'm not in the least bit insecure about it. Well except sometimes I worry that people won't perceive me right, that I come across as brutish, when I'm quite the sensitive soul. But any worry that balding is a major issue has gone. There will be women that don't like it, but I couldn't care any less. These tend to be the superficial types in my experience anyway, who I wouldn't have dated when I was 'perfect'.

• Thank you! Maybe I'll like my hair shaved.. Sigh, I just don't want any extra attention brought to me by shaving my head though.. Don't really know any guys at school balding as much as me.. Some have receding hair lines though... I guess it can't be helped. There's actually 3 weeks until school starts again where I live.

I don't actually naturally want to shave it off. I just looked into the treatments as you must have and found out about the terrible side effects. Shocked to see some guys got

• Yeah a lot of people are still threating about that in their 30s and 40s. A lot of people screw themselves up pretty badly before they have certain realisations. If you can get to a stage, where sure it sucks to go through such a thing, but that you're genuinely thankful for the things that you do have, the things that most people take advantage of, such as their health, their family, etc, you can really flourish and achieve a lot in life. Also your hair seems to be light, which is one thing

• in your favour. With mine cause it's dark the shadow is more visible.

What Girls Said 20

• my sister was going bald, they never figured out what was causing it...

something to do with stress, or her liver...

anyway, you can try all those creams and sprays and plugs and whatever, but what she did was go to this high-end wig place, where they make wigs how you want out of real human hair, then they shave the edges of your hairline, buzz the rest of your hair and stick it on your head with some kind of glue that lasts ages.

her hair looks just like anyones hair. you can't even tell its a wig or anything, and because its human hair you can style it normally.

maybe you could try looking up some wigs like that?

• Cute hat, but I think you should really stop worrying about your appearance. Yes it is normal to be self conscious, but hey look at me, I am wearing a red and blue hearing aid that don't even match any of my outfit, plus I'm black. I used to be so worried like oh my God! what are people going to say? What if they make fun of me? I kept hiding my ears and making it so obvious that I'm hiding something. Eventually there are going to wonder, "what the hell is she doing?" (hands on my ears 24/7 with my hair down). Then I talked to my sisters. They said " The appearance do not matter as much as your personality, when they are talking to you, they won't even notice you even have hearing aids unless you keep trying to hide them. Even if they do ask 'what's that?' then you tell them 'this is my hearing aid..got a problem?' or something like that. It's who you are." So if you do go bald by any chance, you should not worry about trying to look good or something. Those the mind don't matter. Those that don't mind, matters :) Be proud of yourself, love yourself and be yourself and nobody else :) ( I even got myself a boyfriend being myself lol) so I know you will be okay :) Good luck. surgery is definitely not worth it.

• My brother had the same problem. He went to a specialize and her answer: " kids nowadays are very nourished. They grow up faster (change their voice earlier, have boobs earlier) and naturally, they age quicker." If you start to go bald, changes are it cannot be "cured". You could buy hair growth products and maintain hair growth and prevent hair lost that way. But once you stop, you'll start losing hair again. She told me brother, "one day, if you had accepted the fact that you are growing bald, you might want to stop using these products." I guess, that would be when everyone around him are becoming bald also, or when he got married and have kids. I guess the same goes with you.

He'd been using this production called Nu-skin. link

Worked pretty well for him. You should try. :) Hope this is helpful.

• don't buy a hat it will only get worse, kinda like covering a zit up with makeup its bad cause it doesn't have any air to breath, so let your head breath.

and do you think you might just be stressed, and trying eating healthy rich foods.

• hold on... have you shaved your head already..if you haven't yet dnt do it! I HAVE many remedies in curing\helping it omg you should contact me...

• Well, if you feel that using wig will be your last option. that's fine. Have you not tried some products for hair growth? I knew someone also who was going bald but after he tried using Reloxe for natural hair growth, his hair was getting back to normal. I think you should try that.

• Um do you look good bald?

• To be honest, a shaved head is pretty attractive to me.

And I don't think you'd look bad in it! And an ear sticking out.. shouldn't be a problem.

It would definitely take some getting used to, but in time, you'll feel good about it. (:

Hats are cute, but don't make a habit out of them. Can't picture a first date with the guy wearing a hat.

Be confident, that's all you need. (:

Best of luck.

• love the hat!

• oh you poor poor person.

yeah, the hat idea is good. I like a guy who can pull off a hat.

but one question, what happens when you have to take the hat off, and you've been hiding it from everybody? ie: swimming, steamy make-out session, you get the idea.

ask a doctor about it, but you say no drugs. I don't know man. I feel sorry for you. but I guess a hat is your best option.

• oh shut the f*** up with your fake sympathy ass

• wtf is your problem?

• YEAH, wtf IS your problem? Some people have a heart & feel empathy, & they generally feel sory & want to comfort people! Who are YOU to claim is he's being fake? YOU stop flattering yourself & thinking you know everything about everyone, because you're obviously WAAAAY TOO STUPID!

• You have such pretty blond hair too D:

• That might be a health problem. Have you been to a doctor to see if something is causing it? BTW, I think your head wouldn't look to bad shaved.

• damn that totally sucks...but sometimes that's just how it be

• Some women have a thing for that.

• do you wear hats? if so stop because that's probably why.. my fiance has the same prob kind of

• Are you sure you are balding, some men think they are balding out of anxiety...

• try eating more organic foods. this may sound farfetched but it could be hormones in the food that is contributing to your baldness. and if you are overweight or obese get back in a healthy weight range because the hormone levels contributed to excess weight can lead to hair loss.

• WOW, I NOTICED THAT! My doctor had me addicted to a script med, So I was given a drug that made my body as if I had never taken meds before & at the same time loast about 5o lbs and ALLL of my hair grew back. Then I got hurt, had to take a different med & gained some wight, & it fell right back out! Thank you for letting me know I wasn't tripping...

• Try Rogaine.

• It's all but useless, especially for aggressive hairloss... just saying. He could try propecia, but that would likely give him a limp cock.

• that hat is for a girl...?

• it's uni-sex. Haters gonna hate.

• This is happening to my brother right now and he is 20. I would say get some hats and maybe start a bandana collection so that you are not always wearing hats. Maybe in a couple of years you may want to start cutting your hair shorter to having a few inches of hair and once you are use to having shorter hair cut it to maybe one inch so then it is not as noticeable and you are more comfortable with the fact that your balding.

• Thank you. I'll buy a bandana to see what that looks like too.

What Guys Said 21

• bro same boat ill probably be bald by time I'm 25 (shh don't tell anyone that though) I wear hats ALL the time, its also good because you don't hhave to like comb your hair or anything... I would recommend hat... I never take mine off, so yeah I don't know whaat style would look good on you though, I'm more of a stocky athletic type guy (short too) ='( and I wear my hat backwards... others look weird like that... I guess you gotta figure out your own style

and if you shave it just tell people you were thinkin of going into the army or something... and I disagree with other people on here while wearing hats may lead to more hair loss I think its better, just wear loose hats...

and yeah I agree with testosterone guy I guy hair f***in everywhere (in 9th grade I had chest hair and all that good stuff) so yeah taake it for waht its worth man

wish ya luck!

• Well, the 'hip' girls will not like this, but it's just genetic. Look at the bright side: you'll be appealing to older women!

The more insightful women won't hold this against you, so relax.

• my friend is starting to go bald. I told him that he's black and he will look fine. If I was you I would start working out. Your right masculine guys do look good bald. So I suggest you bulk up and if your going to go bald than make sure to shave it all. I personally think it looks stupid if you try to coma over.

• k first off, wearing hats doesn't make you bald, its genetics, could also be a recessive gene. if I went bald id just shave my head, I just think I would look silly trying to salvage the leftovers. and hats are awesome, that fedora you had there its a nice hat if you think you can pull it off, some people can, some look like douches, baseball caps are my thing, sry bout your loss by the way that's really young to start balding. my older brother started balding when he was my age 22 he's still balding, he doesn't look bad at all still his handsome old self. I remember some girls in my high school who were your age were balding I couldn't imagine how a girl could deal with hair loss at that age. men treat cars like women treat their hair

• what is your diet like? do you eat a ton of junk food, processed food, fast food, soda, etc? a poor diet can quicken hairloss bigtime.

• Propecia works, it stopped my hair loss and my d*** still works fine. That or shave your head, everyone these days has a shaved head it seems.

Besides, the girl who rejects you for being bald is the one that'll reject you for a laundry list of other reasons like not being a millionaire, not having a 10" cock, not looking like their favorite movie star, not being between 6 foot and 6'2", not having eyes the correct shade of blue, not wearing the right shoes, not living in the right part of town, etc etc.

• ROGAINE! ROGAINE! ROGAINE! It really DOES regrow hair if you do it right & religously, or AT LEAST keep it from getting worse...

• Bull.

All it can grow is fuzz. There is NO cure for male pattern baldness.

Happened to me at same age.

Just when life is getting good.

You get kicked from boy to old man.

I stupidly spent thousands of dollars, just to find

drugs are as bad as homeopathic medicine. Snake oil salesman.

• Oh., wow, I have a problem with ingrown fuzz hair. Now I know what did it. Thanks...

• MAN, I OWE YOU ONE! I have a rare condition where ingrown hairs can grow out of control, & it's EXTREMELY PAINFUL, to the point where you can't function without medication. Because of you, I quit Rogaine & found that it's ALL white fuzz under my skin! I've also discovered a way to get rid of it, & I haven't been this pain free in years! If it hadn't been for your comment, I'd still be using that garbage! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH...

• I had an uncle who balded young. He just shaves his head. I think its better than some freaking comb over.

I suggest shaving your head or growing your hair out like you said and cover the bald spots. IMO anxiety about going bald speeds up the process. Use some special shampoos to help grow back some hair.

Vitamins might help too. You should go see a doctor and tell him about it.

Also like one of the other dudes said, start hitting the weights.

• Happened to a guy I knew when we were in high school. My little brother's 22, and he's starting to thin out up there too. When it gets worse, he's gonna shave it. His ears will probably stick out too, but what can you do. It would look better than the alternative.

• could you dye your hair blonde/lighter whilst it's short to make it less noticable?

You should try a hair regrowth centre and beg your parents to help you pay for it somehow.

Surely it wouldn't be too much. Maybe contact the owner and ask him for finanical help.

It costs these guys nothing to do it on their side so start getting aggressive about the situation and do all you can and take any avenue you can for help.

Other than that mate I would just shave your head. People will get used to it after a while and you'll get used to it and the girls will start to like it too.

Don't get too worried you'll find a solution soon! hang in there!

• Style is more about how you 'carry' it than what it looks like. You can pull-off anything with the right attitude. Going bald means you have excessive testosterone. That's right! It is the substance that makes men, men. You have excessive amount of it. Forget the hat thing. Shave your head and walk around like you don't give a sh*t because you don't and you know that you are a man among men.

• Meh don't worry about it, I'm 23 and I'm getting gray hair around my temples and back of my neck. Not to mention a receding hairline. Just call me the Silver Fox :P

• What about a wig? It's better than hats.

• I kind of know what you mean I am starting to have a receding hair line and I am 21.

• Buy some Nioxin, it should help. Also, you gotta own the style. Be proud of it and make it look good, some young people can pull off receding hairlines. Maybe buy some earings to draw attention away.

• Women don't care about your hair line. If you can keep a conversation going, make them laugh and feel special, you could be bald as a cueball. Don't be too hard on yourself and stop worrying. That's just gonna make your hair go faster. Look in to rogaine and stuff if you're too worried.

• my cousin is receiding pretty bad himself its part of life don't think about it too much

• My good friend's going bald too :/

• you call that receding? that's nothing

• are you kidding me? You can't even see how far it goes because of my hand so how can you say it's nothing? Plus I'm only young so I think that's a fair amount of recession...

• join the club, its normal, means you have more testosterone which means your more manly.

• I am 21.5 yo and I'd say in about 1 year I will be where you are now. I have been taking propecia. I don't know if it's working but I just keep taking it.