Do the clothes really make the man?

We've all heard that "clothes make the man" but is that really what can help a guy impress a girl or is it something else entirely? Ladies how do you like your man to dress, smell, wear his hair, etc.? Or does it really not matter that much to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• They can help, but if you're not confident in your clothes it really doesn't matter.

When it comes down to clothes its all personal choice. Generally, I like simple clothes that fit well and are put together, showing you care about your appearance. Few things gets a stronger negative reaction than baggy pants that are falling off or precariously showing off a good six inches of rumpled boxers. I'm not also not a huge fan of t-shirts printed with lame pick-up lines and sweatpants or pajama pants that are worn outside the gym or the house.

In terms of hairstyle I don't care as long as it's clean and I can run my hands through it, unless you can really rock dreads. Generally, I prefer hair that is around chin length or shorter --> any longer than this and you'll start to compete with me :) link

Smell-- as long as you're clean and not slathered in cologne, I'm not super picky. ( Have I mentioned the clean bit enough, one of my housmates refuses to shower more than once a week and let me tell you... the smell is not pleasant!) Soap and your natural scent is actually the most attractive, as colognes or really body sprays of any kind usually give me headaches.

• I had to laugh at your latest comment, maybe that's why I don't like AXE... I'm allergic to chocolate!

• It's good though lol it doesn't smell like chocolate at all more like a kinda fresh scent I can't really describe it, it's just nice

• hey messing with ya

What Girls Said 5

• I wouldn't say clothes, but style yes.

(if a man hasn't got his own style, it takes away from his personality and people won't remember him as often...)

• yes clothes matter a lot to a guy's appearance. I typically go for pretty boys that are on the hood side. I could like a guy that doesn't fit that mold but generally that's what I'm drawn to. I can't see me being attracted to a guy that doesn't take care of himself

• Clothes don't make the man so much as the confidence that comes along with being comfortable with yourself and your own personal style. I like a guy to dress however suits his own refined style and body shape. I prefer shaggy hair like Andrew Garfield or Zac Efron, enough to run my hands through but not have him confused as being the girl in the relationship. As for cologne, anything good smelling but not overpowering (like Armani's cologne) is great. Of course personal appearance matters. But it's not everything.

• it definately matters how a guy dreeses up and how his haircut is

for me personality is most and guy who wears clothes which are trendy and have a cool funky haircut seems cool and cute to me it doesn't really matter what he smells like because you can jus look at him but sometimes axe does a good job!

• Haha the AXE chocolate stuff is my favorite

• hey I agree I when I look at a guy I look at his dressing style and his haircut!

• appearance matters for sure. what you wear is extremely important. not just to get a girl, but for the rest of your life. that's how people judge you first, by what you look like

• mmkay so exactly how do you like guys to dress then, I mean I knew that looking "clean" is always important but I'm just curious about what looks good to girls

What Guys Said 2

• clothes make the man in the sense that if you wear what you really like and are really comfortable with it, it'll shine true and highlight your own style. so find you're own style, only way you can do that is try different things and risk to be disliked and not get laid.

• Alternatively, the man makes the clothes. You tend to wear what you feel comfortable in, and wearing them makes you comfortable. It's a *good* viscous circle to be in. They allow people to see more about you if you're more willing to be comfortable in your own skin.

Also, your taste in clothes give people a brief idea of what you may be like as a person.