Do you dress to get a reaction, or for yourself?

Are you sometimes trying to impress someone in particular, or to get a promotion at work, that kind of thing?

• I dress only for my own taste
  • I usually am thinking of what people will think
  • I target certain people or situations with my style at times
Women, of course, often spend a lot of time following fashion trends, so 'dressing for yourself' has to be understood in that light. For example, would anyone wear ripped jeans 'for yourself?'
Most of the women who say they don't care what others think mean they don't care about any criticism, usually for dressing in very tight/revealing clothes...they wear that 'for themselves?'

Most Helpful Girl

• I wear whatever comfortable clothing makes me feel more confident. Usually, this is something that fits the occasion and makes me feel more prepared. So, if I have a big presentation I'll put extra effort into looking and in turn feeling professional. The only way that I dress for other people is when I purposely dress down into more masculine clothing so I am taken more seriously when I'm involved in field work, but again this also makes me feel more comfortable and confidant.

• I've ripped a couple pair through use, but not I wouldn't buy them as part of a trend -- my clothes wear out fast enough. I also don't have the interest to keep up to date with certain trends, I know what I like and I stick to it.

What Girls Said 9

• I pretty much do my own thing as far as style goes, regardless of how other people feel about it. I have some pretty weird taste sometimes and I KNOW it's not most peoples' thing, lol.

There are occasions when I 'dress to impress'. But to me, that means walking out of the house feeling like I look goooood. If I feel hot, then I'm more confident, and that means I look better no matter what I'm wearing. So certainly, some of those occasions are with a specific person in mind.

• @ update: Most of my style choices are fairly modest. My own aesthetic tastes just happen to be a bit kooky. It's the WEIRDNESS that people question, not how revealing my outfit might be.

• "Someone in particular''... I'd never dress something that my boyfriend dislikes... I couldn't care less if all men in the world said I was super ugly and dress bad... IF my boyfriend said he thinks I'm beautiful and he likes the clothes. His opinion is that all that matters. <3

• For myself, definitely. I used to care what other people thought about how I dress. But honestly, I don't see the point anymore. It's just too much energy. Haters gonna hate, y'know? So f*** em all, haha. I get kinda bummed out if I'm dressing in a way I hate, actually. So, really, I need to wear what I like.

• re: update - well, I don't really follow trends. Sometimes if I like a trend, I will, but only because it being popular makes it more accessible, kind of - like you can find it more easily. For example, I always liked floral print stuff, but it was hard finding prints that I liked at most stores, and then when it became popular, I pretty much had my pick of whatever floral print sh*t caught my fancy. That kind of thing.

• Also, I don't dress very revealingly, at least in my opinion. And it's more about my comfort level than the actual skimpiness (or lack thereof) of my clothes. I feel really uncomfortable in stuff that is too tight/short, even if most people I know wear the same stuff. And no, I don't care if people have any criticisms of its "appropriateness". I guess the only exceptions would be, like, work or "formal" events.

• For school, I dress up so that way I can concentrate more and not worry on how I look like.

I dress for myself, everybody taste in style is different. I don't need to catch up with any of it, you know?

• I dress for the occasion. If I'm going to be at work, I'm obviously going to dress differently than if I'm just sitting around the house. If it were up to me, I would be wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt all the time.

• i dress for myself f*** everyone else I don't care what people think of me

• I dress for others. what you wear matters like it or not

• Thanks for your honesty...Nearly all women do, actually, even if they aren't aware of it, since in'following fashion' they are dressing the way mostly male clothing designers want them to!

• ON principle I don't give best answrs to anonymous people, sorry, but yours was the best answer so far.

• I would never wear ripped jeans under any circumstances.

• Lol, interesting. Why?

• Well, it does attract attention, for better or worse...

• I wouldn't want attention for wearing ripped clothes.

• Hey Marty. How's my idea coming along? I haven't received an update...

Anyway, I dress for myself and for other women because they're the ones I watch out for (not in a lesbian way, but in a being judged and scrutinized way). It just turns out that what I wear guys find attractive.

• I find it hard to believe, for example, that women would wear such tight fitting jeans for 'themselves,' no matter how often they say they don't care what other people think.

I know onewoman who has to lie down to get them on, but claims she doesn't care what anyone thinks. I think she means she doesn't care if others criticize her..

What Guys Said 2

• A bit of both actually. I would wanna wear something I like, but at the same time, I'd take a moment and think of what others might think of my dress too. But I'd much rather wear something I like, than wear something that would get a reaction.

• I usually dress for myself. Other times I hope that what I wear will attract women's attention.