Dark hair and pale skin? Will it ever be a standard of beauty?

Hi. Will dark hair and pale skin ever become a standard of beauty? Where I live, Australia, I feel the standard of beauty is set at blonde hair and /or a tan. I say this because many girls are unhappy with their pale skin and get tans. It is also very popular for girls to go blonde or get lighter hair. I have the pale skin and dark hair combination and its natural so I can't do anything about it. I also get tired of constantly hearing that blondes are better and that a tan looks healthier. I think my features contrast nicely and I like to avoid the sun because I don't want to get suncancer (massive problem here in Aus). I was wondering if other people out there agree with me - that blonde hair/tan is overrated? and that the pale skin/dark hair combination deserves some recognition as well? What is your general perception of the pale skin/dark hair combination? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Throughout history pale skin + dark hair has been a standard of beauty in both Eastern and Western worlds. Asian women in many oriental countries would paint their skin white, their lips red, and wear raven-black wigs because this was considered the ideal height of beauty. Women in the 1500-1930's would regularly lighten their skin with chemicals or makeup to achieve the ideal coloring, and dark hair was considered just as ideal as any other color depending on the region and era.

Tanned skin and rigid muscle tone/twigginess were clear indicators of being from the poor (only the working class would have spent that much time toiling in the sun or eaten so little).

Women have been dying their hair black with a mix of henna + indigo since the time of Babylon to enhance the contrast between skin and hair. I think the current modern "ideal" of bleach blond hair and overly tanned skin is just a trend. It hasn't been around for long, nor is it likely to stay. Tan skin, "sub bleached" hair, and rigid muscle tone/twigginess give the "impression" of a person devoted to outdoor fitness, but only a certain number of people will find this "ideal". Most people and cultures still find ultimate beauty in the "Snow White" coloring, be it in a man or a woman.

• You are so rite I'm pale and got dark hair I think its a really genuine look unlike plastic barbie's if only other poeple cud see that. Plus I like a2 lads with pale skin and dark hair its very mysterious & sexy;]

What Guys Said 13

• Personally I don't care what the "standard" is. I think that it looks gorgeous. And while a tan may look healthier to some people, to others it just screams "FUTURE SKIN CANCER PATIENT!"

• Beauty is about privelege. The higher some trait is valued, the more people compete for it. As a result, people tend to move toward that standard.

Personally, I like pale skinned redheads that are 20# heavier than they think they should be. Since the whole world doesn't feel that way, I have a lot less competition and hence a lot more sucess at finding the women I am attracted to.

fwiw, not matter what the standard of beauty, you are currently mostly likely much more attractive than you think. I am currently in a nursing program and I am struck that most of my classmates simply don't understand how attractive they are, thinking that they have the be the blonde/anagirl idea. Don't cheat yourself like that. Recognize that you don't have to have the whole world following you home, just a few quality people.

• Pale skin & dark hair can be sexy. Personally, I hate the fake blonde hair and deep tan. When I have to guess what their natural hair color & skin tone is, I lose interest. It's not that I think that they're ugly, it's just that the type of girl that would work so hard to become a carbon copy of playboy bunnies everywhere is not the type I'm interested in.

• My opinion is that pale skin and dark hair are some of the most beautifull features that can be blessed with i tend not to base everything on the exterior but something about that tone of skin is nice it complements that naturality of the persons body and dark hair complements it beautifully and i never really cared for tan anyway from a color perspective however it is not a bad color either none are if you know how to complement them i say dont worry about the others if you know you're beautifull thats all that should matter stay happy stay healthy and be beautifull inside and out and it will show

• I think that society in general wants everyone to believe that there is something wrong with the way they are, no matter what country you're in. If you're pale skinned, then you need to be tanned, if you're dark skinned then you need to be lighter. Lips, hair, body size, color, you name it and people from all shapes, sizes, and colors seem to want what they are not. No matter what the cost to there health. Somehow the standard of beauty has been defined around the blond haired blue eyed person when they make up such a small fraction of the world's population. Love yourself, project confidence in who you are and what you look like, and you will define the standard of beauty.

• I personally love pale skin with dark hair, I just hate it when someone I find attractive dyes it or makes it lighter. I feel like it's a normal thing, why would you even want to change the way you look.

• A lot of people find pale skin and dark hair really beautiful. I know I do. I know multiple girls that are UNNATURALLY tan and UNNATURALLY blond and quite frankly it is just awful to look at. You can very easily tell when a girl has a natural tan and naturally blond hair and it can look very pretty but remember that pale skin and dark hair is just as much pretty.

• back in the day it was a compliment for your man for you to be pale skinned cuase you don't go out in the sun much cause ur at home takign care of things there for you get no tan and ur man is bring home the bacon only and he got al this money and hard work to do it

• You're a bit confused there. In the past tans were labor tans. A sign of poverty. When a man worked outside for a living, his wife usually did as well. Both worked; they needed the money. The wealthy used arsenic to keep their skin pale (and slowly kill themselves) as a sign of class -- if they weren't tan, they weren't working in the fields. Sound logic!

Lately most men and women work inside, so the wealthy need another sign that they're rich enough to be lazy. And so the leisure tan was born.

• That's my favorite combo, girls with fair skin and med/dark hair 😍

• Yes please!!!1

Stunning look

• Pale girls with dark hair are even more beautiful.

• I'm a sucker for girls with pale skin and dark hair. So don't worry if you stick out because that makes it easier for people to spot you out.

• Pale skin for the win! As long as you're getting enough vitamin D for your body to function normally, then you're probably likelier to have healthier skin.

I'm an Australian male who's proud of my paleness as I like to stay indoor when all the other guys hang out at the beach. Historically (and still in some cultures today), tans are viewed as working-class (laborers and farmers out in the sun all day) compared to the more educated classes who had indoor jobs. I have dark hair and white skin and I love it - just don't put on ghostly white-makeup and dye your hair jet-black that you look more emo/un-dead than healthy.

Don't ever tell yourself there's anything ugly about bright vibrant skin! Let your skin shine, and it will repay you buy looking just as healthy in 30 years from now, while all the other orange skinned fools will be stuck with sun-spotted prematurely aged skin.

What Girls Said 14

• I have fair skin and dark hair. I've heard comments about it--either I need to get out more (although I do get out, I just use tons of sunblock), or my features make me look "evil". But I love my complexion and hair color. No matter what anyone tells me, I don't care; it's what I was born with, so it works for me.

By the way, one of my sisters has blond hair and pale skin, and she actually dyes her hair to make it darker.

• i'm pale and dark haired as well naturally. I think dark hair is prettier but I guess it's just the media perhaps

• I have it and I love it! I used to be told I was too pale, or I needed a tan, or higlights, but I ignored it and eventually I grew into it and now I get way more attention then I did before because I learned to love the skin I'm in <3 of course no ones 100% happy with themselves, I'm not, but your not going to change so love yourself! Anyway, back on topic, I don't think it will ever be the "ideal" but a lot of people like it, and look at Emily Browning, gorgeous girl with dark brown hair and pale skin and everyone loves her! :D

so all I'm saying is we only live once so enjoy life! (even though this has nothing to do with it, haha)

• i ALWAYS thought that pale skin contrast with dark hair was the most beautiful standard/type. blonde is def overrated in my opinion.

now. lets hear about that dark skin and dark hair combo? not as popular. hahah

• Many many people think it's beautiful, you live in Australia... of course it's blonde hair and tanned skin.

Also, it's skin cancer, not sun cancer.

• I went to school with girls who were considered beautiful because of their blonde hair and fake fake tans... I have always been pale with dark brown hair. I tried to turn into one of those girls but it just wasnt me... And as I get older I realise that my look gets me far more attention than all those girls who I was intimidated by. Dark hair and pale skin is far more striking,and although the blonde hair and fake tan will never go away,its not real beauty(unless it is natural of course...) Its brilliant now because I am considered the more attractive girl,all thanks to my unusual and "refreshing" look. People are getting sick of the stereotypical girl... At long last!

• I'm jeleous! I'm pale with honey blond hair, and I always wanted my hair to be black! Here in Texas, everyone, male or female is either tan, blond, or both. I'm only attracted to pale, black haired guys that are about 6'2, which is rare here:/ maybe I should move to England, I hear a lot of guys there fit my preferred looks (;

• http://data3.whicdn.com/images/81438392/thumb.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/49/fd/b5/49fdb52f6c03dc3035467dfe2857956a.jpg

It's all about features

• Personally, I'm a girl even, and I hate the blond tan thing. It just looks like a Barbie doll, it's so fake.

• i think it's absolutely hypnotizing.

rarity > than beautiful.

• i have dark hair and pale skin as well and I love it =) not gonna lie though I wanna add some more blonde highlights. I live in canada and its the same here too with the tans, everyone is tanned even though its winter.

• I have dark hair and pale skin& people tell me I'm beautiful all the time! :D

• I can't relate to the dark hair part, but I have very pale skin and blonde hair. Pale skin in general seems to be the thing to stay away from these days. But although I'm tired of hearing people tell me I need to get a tan or that I look sickly ... I just think, "well, while everyone else is ruining their skin by tanning, mine is staying healthy. While everyone else looks the same, I stand out a bit. Pale skin back in the Elizabethan period was absolutely beautiful." So, my advice to you is to love the skin you are in. And as for your hair, I think dark hair and pale skin looks great. It makes your hair & skin stand out more than if your hair matched your skin... I mean, who really wants that right? On the contrary though, I think African-American's (or races with dark skin color) also have beautiful skin. But the point is, is that it's NATURAL. I will admit, a lot of the time, I wish I was like everyone else and had the "perfect tan"... thinking maybe the bullying and ridicule of my pale skin would stop. But, I know I can't change that part about me. And I am stuck with it for the rest of my life, so I have to love it and accept it, and feel comfortable in my skin. If people have a problem with my skin color, well, learn to live with it... because it won't be changing anytime soon. :)

• I think one of the reasons why blonde hair and all that is considered "beautiful" is because is more rare than dark hair and dark eyes. The population of blonde people is going down, so people want to look this way because they look different than most of the population in the world. I have blonde hair, but I don't tan like crazy. I don't really tan that much at all, just a little. But nothing is ugly about how you look, all people are unique with their own features. Having blonde hair is just one part of the equation. Where I live, I almost think that people want to have darker hair, so I guess it changes depending on where you live. Sometimes, I do'nt like my hair. lol.