Do you think older brides shouldn't wear a traditional wedding dress?

we have been engaged for 10 years, yes you read that right 10 years, the main thing that has stopped us getting married is me being painfully shy and not wanting to have my photo taken and the thought of everyone looking at me filled me with dread, anyway I have gotten past it and we have finally set a date, but after waiting 10 years I am worried that at 35 I am going to end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb, I don't want a big meringue dress, I was thinking something off white maybe ivory and pretty simple, or maybe I have left it too late and I shouldn't get a traditional dress ?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should wear whatever you feel most confident and beautiful in. There's a lot of ridiculous etiquette around weddings (I've discovered this as my friends and cousins have started to get married) that, for the most part, I think is best to just ignore. It's your dress, you have to wear it and live with the photos, so wear what you want. Congrats and I hope you have a wonderful wedding.

• I am not worried about all the etiquette, I just don't know what to get, I suppose having some fun trying stuff on is the best way to go :) it is such a big decision, every girl wants to look there best, but I was little worried that a traditional dress might make me look older, like I would look the complete contrast from the young blushing bride, if that makes sense. thanks for your answer

What Guys Said 3

• Its your wedding. Do what you feel is best. My only issue with marriage and dress... is the color. I've always felt that White meant purity and should be reserved for those who were "Abstinent" til marriage. But of course in this day and age... when does that apply anymore? <.< Opinion. But regardless... if you want it big and and with the train of the dress dragging from the entrance of the building to the front stage, by all means. I think people will still be happy for you... they wouldn't be there if they didn't care. If you are concerned deeply though... about how you will look because of your figure perhaps, or facial features and what not, just ask a profession in a wedding dress shop. Maybe they'll point out things that would suit your physique while still making you look stunning in something that may or may not be traditional.

• Weddings are an old tradition themselves so it is acceptable to wear a traditional wedding dress no matter what age you are. You should wear whatever you want to wear though.

• very true, I never thought of it that way :)

• I really don't see the problem. You're still young at 35.

• ha ha well I know I am no grandma yet, but there is added pressure to look radiant and all that on your wedding day, I had this vision in my head since I was a baby about what I would wear/looklike, but the vision in my head wasn't me at 35, maybe hard for a man to understand, but I do appreciate your answer

What Girls Said 7

• You should get the dress you want that you feel most comfortable in. It's not too late for you to get a traditional dress, if you want it, go for it!

• :) probably just nerves hitting me again, I will trust my own judgement and get the one that feels nice traditional or not

• I think that the bride should wear what she wants to wear. It's your wedding day, not the third cousin's who wouldn't be caught dead in your dress. Personally, I do not care what the bride wears, as long as she loves it. And the major way I can tell she loves it, is how she acts in it. Anymore there is not a cookie-cutter image of what a bride should wear on her wedding day. Some say white and not white if you are a virgin. Most people do wear white, but some do not. I think that is what makes a wedding special, putting personal touches on it.

I think that you should find a dress that makes you feel beautiful- end of story. Good Luck and I hope you have a wonderful wedding day and life with your new hubby! :)

• The whole white dress = purity is bogus anyways...the real reason white became a popular color for a wedding dress was because Queen Victoria chose it to be frugal. Before then, most brides chose various colors, like pink, red, etc.

So, as the others have said, it's *your* wedding, do what *you* want :-)

• I think that when you are getting married..you should wear WHATEVER makes you feel beautiful...whether you may be 18 or 60...I mean its YOUR day so wear what you love =)

• It's you and your fiance's special day. Do whatever the hell you want. Who cares about other peoples opinions in this situation. If you want to wear white wear it! You'll look great no matter what. Screw age.

• of coruse not. wear what you want. it's YOUR day. wear a blindingly white dress and rock it!

• i think you should wear whatever the hell you want. its your wedding, do it how you want to