Why do some many girls/guys not smile or have eye contact in public?

What do you think is the reason? Aren't we supposed to be social beings?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm afraid they won't smile back. As for eye contact, if it's really "there" (I can't explain it better, but you typically know) it makes me uncomfortable unless I'm really close (sometimes I'm still uncomfortable with it then) to them.

What Guys Said 2

• Yes-I-love-you!yes-were-supposed-to-socialize-and-learn-from-each other

I-believe-people-in-the-now-get-nervous-what-others-think-of-them

(It's-so-stupid-I-know)

But-people-are-conditioned-to-think-it's-awkward-when-someone-smiles-at-you-or-looks-you-in-the-eye,

I-do-it-all-the-time-to-make-people-uncomfortable(believe-it-or-not-it-always-starts-a-conversation-with-a-phone-number-ending-up-in-my-palm)

I'm-picky-I-like-to-test-who-I-think-deserves-attention

hope-this-helps-btw-you-should-do-this-too-cu-you're-awesome

• social yet shy...

What Girls Said 2

• i wonder the same thing, but I think its cause they think they might not get a smile back

• True...but I guess it wouldn't matter anyway if we're walking past each other anyway...right?

• I get nervous when people look me in the eye, depending on who it is and why should I smile when there's nothing to smile about..?

• I-guess-you-don't-want-people-to-even-look-at-you?

• Nothing like that. I can make eye contact, but it's unnerving. I'll smile if I'm happy or see something I like, but I'm not just randomly grinning 24/7.

• Agreed...but I guess I admire people who are smiling as opposed to walking around serious like. I do it too though so need to work at it! =)