Why do black girls have kinky hair?

Does anyone have a clue into any scientific or evolutionary reasons? I'm mostly black and I always wonder why we have different hair. most black people have very kinky hair. not all of us do, don't get me wrong, but most do. this is why we relax, texturize, and straighten our hair. Like I cannot stand my hair. I always straighten it then put extensions in. I keep it healthy because I'd rather it be healthy, but its just so ugly. I have really light skin, pretty eyes, and I'm attractive, but my hair ruins the entire picture. I feel bad because my mom is all into natural hair and loving your "black beauty". I just can't get over the fact that my friends have silky, pretty hair and I have to fake it. My weave always looks good, but its still not mine. I'm still kind of jealous that white girls and Asian girls and native girls, etc. get to have straighter, nicer textures of hair. I mean I can't change it, so I kind of find ways to get over it, but I just wonder why do black people have to have sh*tty nappy hair? Such a lame deal.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just a theory.

If you look at Tropical Africans and Melanesians (as in New Guinea) they look alike despite being way different genomes. Scientists say Africans are the first humans emerging right there. Melanesians got there through Southeast Asia and Indonesia. As you move progressively south from China, the people become darker and develop a tightening curl.

My speculation is that dark skin and curly and even peppercorn hair are, respectively, adaptations to protect them from ultraviolet light and to wick off sweat to keep their brains cooler.

Northern Europeans, by contrast, have skin transparent to UV (which produces Vitamin D in the body) and straight, flat laying oily hair to insulate the brain from the cold.

Africans and Melanesians are happy because they are black and nappy!

• I have dated black women extensively and, if I dictated, I would want them clean shaven down below and dispense with the straightening and styling goo in behalf of natural stules like this one.

link

• Her hair kind of looks fake but it could be real. and yeah your explanation makes sense. I think most guys don't like hair like that though. and I always wax. its better for hair like mine.

What Guys Said 3

• I really couldn't tell you why they have hair like that, I mean I have heard it helps heat escape much easier than straight hair. That's the most logical reason I can think of but I might be wrong. You really shouldn't be trying so hard to straighten it, love your hair :). I think natural hair on black women is hot!. I wouldn't say it takes away anything from their appearence at all, if anything I prefer it to straight hair on them. You know relaxers are terrible for your hair and head in general, relaxers contain a chemical called sodium hydroxide which can literrally disolve metal, that's the reason why they burn when applied. It could cause you to go bald, I really don't see how its worth it.

link

link

link

link

You don't need to be jelous, I am not sure what your main reason is for wanting straight hair but natural hair on black women is beautiful

• Too bad you don't like black hair, I'm rather fond of it. Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" thing, because I know a lot of girls who'd kill for a 'fro (out of the question for straight hair), others having remarkable adventures with dredlocks (requiring serious chemical intervention), and yet others pining for cornrows (it makes their hair fall out). One good point I think your mom has: it's easier, if not better, to use what you have than to imitate what you don't.

As for the science, the Black hair follicle has a flat cross-section, with one side growing faster than the other, causing the hair to curl along the short axis.

• I agree with you completely, that wool instead of hair is your worst feature. The reason for it is the holes in your skin that it grows out of. Yours are curved and in the other races you mentioned they are straight. You can get a better explanation by checking on wikipedia, but that is the reason. I also love the long straight black hair of the native American, Japanese, etc. You might take heart though that those girls with straight hair are just as envious of the girls with curly or wavy hair. For some reason, and girls are the worst, people are just never satisfied with what nature gives them..

On a related note, something that really bothers me is that intricate braiding that obviously takes hours to do. That tells me that that hair isn't washed very often. I would rather see a natural burr head style that was clean, than the intricate braids with the dust bunnies collecting on them from weeks of not being washed.

• You actually can wash braids pretty easily...and we aren't supposed to shampoo our hair daily.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think of my hair or any other black girls natural hair as sh*tty. It depends on how they keep it up whether its "sh*tty" Or not. I'm black and I despise pin straight hair, yucky, looks so thin and nasty. But some girls can pull it off. Not me. I love my naps hahah.

• because our ancestors come from africa where it was very hot. kinky hair that seems to grow towards the sun keeps you cool more than long heavy hair that hangs down. you know what you should do? start taking MSM supplements that's what I did and it made my hair texture a lot looser for some reason. well look it up and talk to your dr before you do I don't wanna be held responsible lmao.

why don't you just relax your hair and then try to grow it out so you don't have to wear weave? I don't wear weave I prefer to just wear my real hair (straightened).

well don't feel bad. yeah I wish my hair was looser but you know what if the only "bad" feature you have to worry about is your hair I'd say your in good shape! I love my skin, cheekbones, body, and you will age very well too! so be happy

• relaxers damage hair. I try to keep mine as healthy as possible. my hair is long already that's not the problem I just hate the texture. I do clip in extensions mostly but sometimes ill get a weave. weave is expensive though lol

• our hair is like that because of the shape of the follicle. for , let's say the Asian race, their follicle is a circle. outs, however, is differently shaped - maybe its more of an oval or something, I don't remember, but it's the shape that makes it different. and our hair is drier because our natural oils can't go down the length of our hair like it would with straight hair, since its so curly and goes in numerous directions. why is our hair follicle different? I don't know.

i understand the "black beauty" thing but really, if your hair is difficult to manage and you end up taking out more hair than you should while combing it for example, consider getting it texturized or relaxed. if you could give your mom some good list of reasons...(easier to manage, makes you feel better, want to try something different etc...) then maybe she will be more lenient..also, if you decide to get that done, remember to get it done by a professional to avoid misuse of the product.

• that follicle thing is informative, thanks.

• you're welcome.