Why are girls so sensitive to comments about their looks?

If somebody makes a comment to a girl about her look... if it's a nice comment, it's extremely special for the girl... if it's a mean comment, the girl breaks down like it's the end of the world. Guys won't give it much thought if somebody comments on his appearance. Why are girls so sensitive to words?

Most Helpful Girl

• Guys don't care about comments on their looks, really? I find that hard to believe. I'm sure some guys, along with girls, don't care as much. But, I think most people care to an extent. & to answer the question...our society puts TON of pressure on girls to have the perfect face & body. People, in general, criticize a woman's body a lot more than they do a man's body. Just look at Hollywood.

What Girls Said 3

• It's like if someone said to a man that his car sucked or that he's a bad lover. It's a status thing. The stigma for girls is that we have to be pretty and perfect. No girl gets ready in the morning thinking, "I hope this makeup/hairstyle/shirt makes me look average." We want to know that we look perfect to you and better than any other girl.

Which brings up your question...what if you say something completely nice? I hate this about being a girl, most of us over analyze everything that a guy we like says or does. And a lot of girls have disorders or self-defeating tendancies, which isn't your fault.

Just comfort her and tell her that you mean it from the bottom of your heart. Look in her eyes when you say it and don't act shady.

• Seriously? Why wouldn't you think she'd get offended? Society, whether we like it or not, always judges people for their appearance (at least initially anyway). So you making mean comments about her appearance isn't helping any. Make sense?

• Because we know that's all that matters to men...

What Guys Said 1

• You know what else I hate? When a girl who is obviously not so pretty asks you "how do I look?". And you have to lie because she can't handle the truth.