Why do men like watching women put on make-up?

I found myself a bit disturbed while on the train last week when a grown man studied my in-transit makeup application as though his life depended on it. He kept looking at me and when I reached from my lip gloss his eyes followed.

It made me feel uncomfortable. I tried to stare at him back, but he kept looking at me, transfixed by the way I put on blush and mascara. Is putting on makeup an intimate thing? I have a friend who won't let her boyfriend watch to put on makeup. I know they realize the difference between when you wake up and when you put makeup on, bit it's more about the finished product.

I will pick best answer to whoever explains this to me

Most Helpful Guy

• This was probably new to him (He has never seen a girl put on makeup before) and wanted to see what you were using and how you put it on. It's not really an intimate act, but I like watching girls put on makeup. If the girl is cute, it's a a joy to watch her. It also lets guys compare how she looks before and after putting on makeup. If he liked how your makeup made you look, maybe he will buy his girlfriend or wife that same makeup.

• but putting on makeup is about the "after." It's like getting dressed, men don't like to watch women getting dressed

What Guys Said 8

• Because for some of us, it's just damn sexy.

It's just like DIY show on TV but live in your house.

I can't pause rewind and I'm all alone with the sexiest thing on the block.

You are the goddess, just try to ask to fetch you whatever, he will comeback on all four dangling his tail begging for more.

• Make up gives girls a boost of self confidence, I'm with you, I think natural beauty is the prettiest thing out there but girls just use it to give themselves a boost of confidence, and he finds it very intriguing when you put it on, because your view of yourself changes, and he likes the transition.

that's about all.

• I actually have no idea.

Although with all of my ex girlfriends I used to sit transfixed while they applied make up. Its just odd I guess, watching somebody put a load of random shit on their face.

To some degree its also kind of intimate. I've never really been around a girl applying make up unless I was dating them.

• As a guy, I find it very sexy to see a woman apply her makeup. I don't mean sexy in an erotic sense, but it's fascinating to watch the steps she goes through, her unguarded facial expressions, and her transformation. It is an intimate process. I know at least a couple of women who admit that they find it sexy to watch a man shave for the same reasons.

• Lame question. He liked watching you. This has nothing to do with makeup.

• no, it was more like studying

• do men like watching women for no reason?

• They like watching beautiful women. Nothing wrong with that.

• I didn't know this was a thing. I don't like watching girls put on make up because it makes me impatient.

• George Bush once said: When a woman puts on makeup, a man assembles a team of a bananna, knife, and teddy bear, were he cuts a hole in the teddy bear, sticks the bananna peel in, and then rubs his ear on the hole. This induces pleasure and he is satisfied.

• I don't understand this

• fail both a joke and an insult, grow a brain

• You are obviously not a very smart person.

• i dont, I hate girls with makeup on, when I see a girl do that its repulses me, no offence

• haha. Men like makeup, they just don't know they like makeup. When a study was done where men were shown 3 pictures of the same model, one with minimal makeup like cover-up and lip gloss, one with a little bit more makeup like mascara and a little bit of blush, and one with a full face of makeup like foundation, blush, eyeliner, and lipstick, the men picked the model with the foundation, blush eyeliner, and lipstick. When asked how much makeup they though she had on they said "a little or none.

• i disagree, I love the natural look, I don't mind foundation on a girl but lipstick or gloss, eyeliner, eye shadow, its unattractive

• Male commenter, you probably just think she has no make up on

What Girls Said 5

• I think more than anything they are amused by the effects of makeup. Its like when we watch makeup tutorials or demo vidoes and we are fascinated but how that one trick can make all the difference. Most straight men have no experience with make up, so I guess when they watch a woman applying it and seeing how it changes her look, they can't stop staring because its interesting. Sure it could be intimate and maybe some guys find it sexy. But some guys also find it weird when girls apply makeup in public and some just dont care.

• I think it means he is intrigued with you and is trying to decide if he wants to move further. He is interested, but not quite sure.

I do not think it has anything to do with makeup, just watching you do something that is a part of you, absorbing and soaking you in.

For a stranger to it, maybe he is shy or an aspiring drag queen and wants some pointers... Everyone has different motives for their actions.

• I just thought about this today. I am a girl and my guy friends always watch me put on lipstick like it's an art museum. I like to watch it too, honestly. I think it's just like watching a dance. The movements are so percise. It's like we as humans crave symmetry. Lol

• I was at work on day and caught a guy that I like staring at me while I was fixing my hair in my mirror. I turned and saw him standing there just with this smitten look on his face and he smiled and blushed when I caught him and then walked away.

It is my understanding that this is an intimate thing and something that most guys don't get to see, so to be able to watch a girl primp that you like and that likes you, is probably pretty sensual...especially when she doesn't know you are watching. It is like you are being let in on a secret part of her. I was actually excited to turn and see that he had been watching me without my knowledge. It provided an intimate moment for me as well. Thankfully I wasn't picking my nose, plucking eyebrows, or doing something that might not be so attractive. :]

• LOL. He's probably never seen a woman actually put on makeup before and was transfixed with all of the products you were using. Mascara looks very odd to those who have never seen it up close and personal so he probably wasn't really aware of what mascara, blush, etc. do exactly. It's understandable. Most men aren't informed on makeup and how to apply it.