Why do women buy and men rent?

OK to some this may be a stupid question but I really want to know what you guys think. When getting married why do women get to buy their wedding gown and men have to rent their tux? Yes I'm aware they have the option to buy it just like a women buy their gown, but why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is because woman's gown requires a lot of detail. Two girls may both wear the same size but their cups/waist/etc might be different. As a result, you have to get the dress custom tailored to fit your specific needs. So, opening a business to rent out wedding dress might not be profitable since most of the dresses would have to be altered so many times and get destroyed in the process. In addition, some women like to keep their gowns as memories, or maybe pass it down to their child(which I doubt it happens a lot).

Meanwhile, men also do have the option of purchasing a tux. However, tux is not as detailed and most men do not attend occasions enough where an owned tux is suffice. I'm not saying guys don't get it tailored but price difference is significant when it comes to rent vs. purchase. Hence, renting out a tux would probably make more economic sense than purchasing it.

• Profound. This is what I thought but when discussing it with my co-worker he said that's a load of crap. He's getting married and can't get pass this issue. Thanks.

• Some businesses (Ex: David's Bridal) do sell wedding dresses for very cheap when it's on sale (maybe around $100 or so). I think that's almost same thing as renting, economically speaking. Anything related to wedding will cost you a lot more than usual. It's just how it is, supposedly "once in a lifetime". How much you want to spend on the occasion has more to do with how you are doing financially. So, there are affordable gowns for almost everyone.

What Guys Said 5

• It really should be the other way around, as tuxedo's while extremely formal, are actually legitimate eveningwear, while wedding gowns are always a one shot thing.

• We're too cheap.

• Uhh well generally a woman invests everything in one special relatationship, while the dudes are looking at other cookie jars.

• You know what happens on the wedding night? They're not taking that back.

• Because men are smart and know that they are only going to be wearing that tux once. I think it is absolutely stupid to pay hundreds, or thousands of dollars for something that you will wear for only a few hours.

What Girls Said 0