Would taking clothes out of the donation bag make me a bad person?

a club at my school is doing a clothing drive for a women's shelter. I was thinking about donating some stuff but wasn't sure. but I'm in charge of taking the bag to the shelter. then my sister's friend (who goes to another school but heard about the drive) said she was going to donate a whole garbage bag full of clothes. this girl wears the same size as me and she wears only designer clothes. that means she'll be giving me a huge bag full of designer clothes that are my size. would it be awful of me to take anything from her bag I think is cute if I replace it with something from my closet? then I wouldn't be stealing, just substituting, right?

also I've volunteered at this shelter before and I haven't seen one woman who would fit into a size 2, which is the size of me and that girl.

Most Helpful Girl

• right and wrong is subjective but in my opinion its a pretty sh*tty thing to do.

i guess the only way of getting around this, for me, would be if you replaced each item you take with something of your own. if you see a designer shirt that you like and you decide to take it, then put your own shirt in the donation bin. if you take 5 shirts, put 5 of your own shirts in there. you get the idea.

youre still taking away from someone elses generosity and their gift to people who can't afford things but as long as you put your own things in their in equal amounts and good quality, then its not as f***ed up as you taking it and not putting anything back in.

i still wouldn't do it though. at least I don't think I would lol

designer clothes don't really impress me by the name, even though the clothes look better sometimes. they tend to exploit workers in impoverished countries so meh. to each is own though. when you look at it in the objective perspective, there's already so much "wrong" that has been done in relation to those clothes. its a never ending cycle though. blah.

What Guys Said 1

• Stealing from a charity. Well, it's immoral. Considering the charity could always sell them on if nobody can fit into them and use the proceeds to help to the needy.

However, if you wanted, you could argue that it's self preservation and it's human nature, but it's a weak argument, it's just selfishness.

Do what you want. It's only you who will shun yourself.

What Girls Said 5

• I wouldn't do this, but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily wrong, especially since you're replacing the clothes. However, that girl wanted to donate nice clothes to people who probably don't have any designer clothes at all. You replacing many of those clothes with non-designer ones kind of ruins the sentiment. I'm sure they'd be very excited to receive clothes like that, and as TheGoodTheBadTheHOT said, there are many other ways they can possibly use those clothes in case no one fits into them.Taking those clothes wouldn't make you a bad person, but perhaps a bit inconsiderate, in my honest opinion. Besides, do you really want to worry over what to say if your sister's friend recognizes the clothes? What if your sister does? That would be one awkward conversation to have. . .I don't know, in the end it's your decision to make and live with.

• I wouldn't I would feel morally bad. Plus you were already going to donate clothes, so really you aren't replacing it...

I do not think it is right.

plus wouldn't your sister recognize her friends own clothes?

• probably not. this is the kind of girl who spends $200 on a shirt, wears it once, and then never touches it again. my sister has only been friends with her for a few months. I doubt she's even seen the clothes this girl is going to donate.

• Thats a side note

Not my point

• I agree, especially with the fact that the QA was going to donate clothes anyway, so in the end there really would be less clothes for the needy.

• lol, your obviously a genuinely good person..Its not a bad thing you even plan on replacing what you took with something of your own, I say go for it.

• lol go for it! its not stealing if you replace them with some of your clothes. the only problem is if you see her and she recognized her clothes ha ha.

• I'd do it. Haha