French Exchange Student? Help please, I'll be eternally grateful.

So my mom sprung this on me and I'm sort of lost. The visiting student doesn't speak English and I need to talk to her and work with her to put on this fundraiser. If anyone here speaks French, I need some conversation starters pleaaaase. I need some confidence too, if anyone knows some way to get over this fear of messing up and saying the wrong thing. I've taken a couple years of French but I just freeze up in the moment and I'm not sure what to say. I feel like I'm making a bunch of mistakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I take it you know the basics, e.g bonjour, Je suis... , J'ai..., Je m'appelle...?

Hope these help:

Enchanté(e) - Nice to meet you.

Qu'est-ce qu'il y a ? - What's the matter?

Je any sais pas - I don't know

Ne t'en fais pas. - don't worry

Comment vas-tu? - How are you?

Je vais bien - I'm good.

Que de neuf?- What's up?

If you get seriously stuck have a basic phrase book or go on google translate but just be aware that it isn't very accurate.

• Thanks so much! If I ask: quelle partie de France est-ce que vous habitez? Is that right? Also, how would I ask what she does for fun and what grade she's in?

• It sounds correct if your asking her which part of france she's from. quels sont tes passe-temps?, (what hobbies do you have), Tu es en quelle classe? what grade are you in?

,... sorry it might be a little incorrect because I am not french

• Pas de problem, merci beaucoup :)

What Guys Said 1

• Pensez-vous que Jacques Chirac est coupable? - Do you think JC (former French President just starting a trial for misuse of public funds) is guilty?

Napoleon a-t-il des issues de taille? - Did Napoleon have height issues?

Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles - My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Merci, mais ceux sont un peu etranges, n'est-ce pas? =P De toute facon, elle est partie hier.

• Sorry about that - I missed the Q at the time, but got it in one of the random callback listings.

I was lucky enough to work there for 6 months as a student, and found that all the school french I got was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Like us in real life they talk sport, history, politics etc so I just thought I'd put a couple of controversial ones in. The hovercraft thing is from Monty Python of course.

All the best.

• Oh it's fine :) Yeah, I can write in French much better than I can speak it, so conversing with her for a prolonged amount of time was a bit difficult haha. Thanks for your answer.

What Girls Said 0