Makeup Tips for Oily Skin?

I have oily skin which usually means eyeshadow and eyeliner never stay on.

I would like to wear liquid eyeliner on my upper lids some time but it never stays on!

Any other gals have the same issue and do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• I have oily skin too. I use Urban Decay eye primer before I put on my eyeshadow. I'm a drugstore makeup girl, but that is the only product I splurge on at Sephora. I believe it's $18, and it works WONDERS. You're eyeshadow will stay on the entire day without creasing(I actually fell asleep in my makeup once and woke up the next day with my eye makeup still in tact!) . Also, only use powder eye shadows, those moist ones that you rub on are just begging to crease. For my lids I can only use gel liner, because any other liner will just make a mess. This works so well because it dries quickly, so there's no time for it to smear. I don't know if you wear foundation, but if you find your face getting oily, dust some baby powder onto your face after applying your foundation. Baby powder absorbs, and acts as a translucent powder. (I've tried various brands of translucent powder but nothings worked as well as baby powder. I'm really into cheaper effective alternatives like that.) Also, you can buy little oil absorbing papers at the drugstore. You can dab off oil throughout the day, and it doesn't take off your makeup. I hope these tips help you!

• Thanks! I will definitely try the primer. Yeah, I've tried the oil absorbing thingys but it's such a hassle (I'm just lazy, maybe).

What brand of gel liner do you use? I have MAC but I don't think it stays on as well.

I wear foundation so I definitely have to re-apply powder throughout the day...(sigh,)

I have medium to tan skin...do you think the baby powder is too "light"?

Right now, I use MAC powder.

The great thing a/b oily skin, they say, is that we'll have less wrinkles!

• Hmm. I use Mac gel liner too, but it works very well for me. Particularly on my lids--but it's hard to make anything stay on your waterline all day. I honestly don't tend to bring the oil sheets around with me everywhere most of the time. I only bring them if I happen to think of it. That's a good question about the baby powder. I'm not quite sure. I guess you'd have to experiment. I'm curious as to how much it would lighten your foundation? I REALLY HOPE IT'S TRUE THAT WE'LL HAVE LESS WRINKLES!

• Re: wrinkles...totally true, or so I think...I'm older and look maybe 10 years younger because I hardly have any compared to other women my age :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 10

• omg I have found the secret for this. it's on youtube, you can look it up there. sounds weird, but use milk of magnesia as a primer after you clean your skin and before you put on any makeup. you can dilute it a little with water if your skin is not super oily. but if you use it full strength, apply it in little sections otherwise it will leave some chalky lines.

anyways, I don't know how it works, but it changed my life because before my makeup would last like 5 mins. lol

also, it's super cheap at the drugstore ftw.

oh also, I put it on my eyelids with no problems, so it must be super gentle because I have to use gentle eye makeup.

• Wow! I never heard that before...interesting. Thanks!

• I don't have oily skin but I have some tips that might help you. Have you tried using an eyeshadow primer? Too Faced, Urban Decay, etc. all have primers that make the eyeshadow stay and brighten up the color so it sticks out. I'd try that. For the eyeliner, have you tried a normal pencil eyeliner? Liquid eyeliners can be messy all on their own without the help of oily skin so I'd veer away from that. You need to prime your skin before you put any makeup on. Clinique pore minimizer as well as MAC oil control lotion should help a lot. As for foundation, go powder. I'd suggest using MAC since they don't have talc in it which should help reduce the appearance of the powder sticking out. The key to wearing makeup without it clashing with your skin type is to properly prime it before you apply any makeup on. The same rule goes for any time of skin.

• Make sure you cleans, tone and moisturise well with products designed for oily skin to help it to keep from being so oily.

Use a liquid foundation, not cream foundation as it has added oils in it (Which is better for dry skin or to protect your skin in the winter from the harsh elements). Make sure you use a little powder to set (I prefer loose then dust away any excess with your big fluffy brush). I use an eye primer to keep my eyeshadow and top liner on. I use "Eyeshadow primer potion" by Urban Decay, amazing stuff, I swear by it. Apply this to the lid, then apply your eyeshadow and it should stay on all day. link

To help your topliner stay on better, after you have applied it, if you use an angle brush (Or a tiny brush) get some black eyeshadow and actually tuck it ontop of the top liner and it help it to last a lot longer, and remember to tuck it into your lashes too. A gel liner will also be a lot easier to use as you will have more control, I can't stand liquid top liners, more hassle than they are worth.

Hope this is of help :o)

~X~X~X~

• use milk of magnesia as a primer. works wonders!

• Use an eyelid and face primer for your eye shadow and foundation. Use a liquid eyeliner. Make sure you moisturise daily because if you don't you may be making your skin produce more oil to compensate this lack of moisture. Ex-foliate once a week and you should be seeing improvements. Use a powder foundation on top of your liquid foundation to take out some of the oiliness as well. Carry around some blotting tissues to get that oil that creeps up throughout the day off of your face.

• I have super oily skin, so bad that there was one day one of my coworkers thought I was sweating and it was actually oil on my forehead =/ my face is almost always in an eternal state of breaking out.

so yeah, super oily skin. I do not recommend a liquid or cream makeup. try bare minerals. awesome stuff and lasts forever. best thing is if you are in a rush, you can apply it in literally 2 minutes and have a completely natural look.

• I have oily skin as well,and what I usually do is just a apply my powered foundation and then a transluscent powder to my eyelids.After doing this my eyeshadow stays on just fine.Or you could go down the road of using a primer.:)

• Primer.

Also, if you wear foundation, maybe you should just wash your face, and don't apply moisturizer [unless of course, your face feels too dry without it]. Otherwise, you have oily skin, the foundation just enhances the oils on your face.

• but you should also try switching up the products you use to wash your face. I know that if you use really drying face wash (like a lot of neutrogena and clean and clear are) that will make the problem worse, so using something mild is always good. I use cetaphil its really great. and then a good moisturizer is also key especially if you're putting on that make up afterward. and drink water :)

• i have an oily skin too, I use Max Factor Facefinity compact foundation.. it's the best!