Has anyone seen the movie 'Catfish'? I'm scared of it happening to me...

You know, the documentary-style film about the guy who meets this girl online and it then turns out to be a 50 year old woman who was impersonating the girl. I just saw it and I've been chatting with a 'girl' who I met in a chat room. Needless to say, I'm a bit paranoid of this same scenario happening to me now. I really don't like the idea of chatting with someone who is pretending to be someone else, especially since the person I'm talking to is awesome and I like her. Anyone have experiences in this kind of thing? Any tips?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I'm pretty sure the guy in the movie had it figured out that the girl wasn't who she said she was long before they went to meet her. They looked into a bunch of the stuff she had said and found out that it wasn't true (i.e. the songs that the girl was supposedly singing were from youtube, the studio space was still up for sale, etc.).

Realistically, you're probably not going to meet someone that crazy and with that elaborate of a story, however, there are people who might lie about certain aspects of themselves or their lives. At the very least, however, you can ask someone to go on webcam for you (most people have webcams) so you can see that they aren't significantly older than they say they are or an entirely different person. Also pay attention for any inconsistencies in the things that they tell you.

• Truth be told, I met her on this site, she answered one of my questions. But ever since I saw that movie I am scared of it happening to me haha. Her profile seems legit but people do stretch the truth at times, I'll be wary until I know for sure. Thanks for comment.

What Girls Said 2

• I wasn't really surprised about the movie. I realized that it was going to be about a girl who posed as this beautiful, young, hip girl, but turning out to be someone else.

I was kind of disappointed with the movie, because it kind of dragged on in parts. But overall I think it speaks to people who are careless online. It's a kind of fable in a sense that it warns people that there are those out there wishing to deceive and it may not always be a good idea to give out too much information just in case :P

• Same thing happened to me but the guy turned out to be 50 years old and with 3 boys in my age which is 20.

i think she is a 40 years old woman,i bet she is.

What Guys Said 1

• Hmm, a gilf. Take some lube and see if she can take out her dentures for the b/j.