How to be less nerdy and geeky?

I'm 16 and I considered a geek and nerd to my boyfriend and his friends. I'll describe my style and personality a little bit so you can get to know me a little. Looks: 5'3,130 pounds,brown curly hair but I straighten it sometimes and I'm mixed. As for my style I shop at forever21,charlotte russe,Hollister, Abercrombie and fitch and Papaya normally, but I also shop at department stores.I don't wear makeup but if I do I only wear eyeliner and mascara nothing more because it makes my skin look bad.

Personality:Kind of shy at first,quiet at times,I love to read books and I also happen to really love Manga and watching anime, I like going to anime/manga conventions but I'm thinking of not going to one this year to be less of a geek,I'm partial IB and partial AP,I like to run and I like playing the piano and have been playing piano for 8 years. I really like web designing but I want to be a civil engineer or an RN, I guess it depends on where I am in life at that point. I really love music, I listen to a variety, but I prefer music that isn't mainstream. Anyways, my boyfriend and his friends make fun of me for being this way and it makes me feel really ashamed and embarrassed and my boyfriend does it a lot in private too and always asks me why I read manga. I'm cutting back on all of these things though so I can be "cooler", but do you have any advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• Stay strong my fellow geek girl! Consider it a compliment.

It seems to me that the people who aren't at least somewhat dorky/geeky, are some combination of the following :

1) Are afraid of new things

2) Don't know what they really like to do in life yet

3) Only are willing to like what "everyone" else does. Like drinking. Or other mainstream stuff.

He should respect your likes and interests, especially if he's your BF. Tell him it bugs you. Get him to read a good manga. Don't cut back because someone thinks its nerdy. F*** 'em. People like people who are confident in themselves, geeky quirks and all. Don't cut back on the things you love to do in life because some guy thinks its lame. That's just disrespectful on his part.

I'm going to guess you're in HS yet, most high schoolers haven't learned the finer art of geekhood awesomness yet. Tough it out till college. The geek world gets better there.

Geeks will inherit the earth.

Live long and prosper,

~~The girl whose getting a degree in geekhood.

What Guys Said 7

• don't try not to be who you are!

you're going on about this the completely wrong way, what you need is to dump that looser and get a guy who will love you for who you are, a guy that will take you with your anime and manga and love you more for it.

so my advice, simply dump him and get a real man.

• Step 1: never log on this site again.

Step 2: delete your wow account

step 3: Go outside

step 4:get a life

step 5: enjoy your life

• f*** that be yourself tell whoever doesn't like it to f*** themselves ill admit the anime thing is "geeky" I guess but everybody has their thing you like what you like and shouldn't change for anyone. have you told him that you don't like being made to look that way by him and his friends?

• Just be yourself, there's nothing wrong with being geeky. If your boyfriend has a problem with that dump him and find a geeky guy.

• nerd?you sound like the girl of my dreams!add me

• link a true bad ass and anyways just be who you are

• lol well the first step is to definitely quit with the anime and manga because that's really dorky :P And then try coloring your hair maybe blond or light brown if it isn't already light brown and dressing sexier. Definitely don't do to the conventions

What Girls Said 11

• don't change who you are for this dumb boyfriend. If he's embarrassed by you then he can just go **** himself. I personally love manga too and get why some people think it's weird. some assume it's all p*rn from the google search they did, like once. :( but whatever, I have a couple of friends who read it too and love talking to them. go to the convention, do what you like, and find a new boyfriend who shares your interests. And don't give up on your tough academics, it's super important to be smart and get a good career.

btw, what are your favorite mangas? mine are elfen lied, deathnote, and nononono <3

• Im a total geek too. But so is my boyfriend. And we do our geeky things together; like we play trading card games, go to geeky clubs, watch anime, geeky stuff like that :P

So I say, if he won't accept you for who YOU ARE, dump him. He's trying to change who you are, which is something you should never do to someone you love. Ever. That implies you never really loved them in the first place...

Find a guy just as geeky as you (maybe you'll meet a nice one at the anime convention ;P seriously) Ignore what these people say and do what YOU want with your hair, because that will reflect your personality and attract a guy who loves you as you are (hopefully), and not for the hair dye and clothes you use.

Dont feel ashamed about who you are, that isn't fair. Find a guy who makes you feel perfect, you deserve that, everyone does :)

And mainstream music sucks :P Good on you! Lol XD

• I can relate to you on a lot of levels. I, for one, love anime/manga. :] I was also called a geek back in elementary school because I was always so studious and quiet. Still am today.

But anyway, don't stop doing you just because your boyfriend and his friends are jerk asses. You do those things because that's who you are and you obviously enjoy them. I would directly tell your boyfriend how much it's bothering you when you're made fun of. If he still acts like a jerk, then dump him. He doesn't deserve a girl like you who actually does something with her life.

• I'd say dump him, and get a boyfriend who's just like you. If you really want to be cooler, watching anime and manga is really dorky, and the conventions, too. You could die your hair a funky color, and get a piercing (just kidding). Forever 21, A&F, and Hollister, aren't really geeky, though. Also, girls who are probably shy and quiet might be considered a nerd, or uncool, or something like that. I know that from being in school. The quieter ones that like to read, or are into some of those things would be considered that, but NOT ALWAYS. I say just be yourself, there's nothing wrong with what you do, and tons of other people do it, too. You can't change who you are, and if you did to fit in with another crowd, you might get bored, or sad because you're not doing the things you like. ;-)

• You don't like being considered a geek? Maybe it's just me then... ha ha I love reading manga and watching anime:) My tip, just like everyone else's, find a new guy. Although, might I also suggest bringing your "Nerdiness" to the next level? Study up on cars, video games, movies like Star wars, become a trekiee, you know, "nerd" stuff. I find that most guys are quite surprised when you can have a real conversation with them about the alien guns in Halo: Reach, or your favorite car and the engine to go along with it. My boyfriend says it's a turn on:D

• I love video games, which he didn't understand because he doesn't like video games!But I like video games.

• I dunno, he just doesn't :O his friends don't like video games either

• **gasp** that's like... UN-MANLY! lol seriously though.

• Being a geek is awesome though, but If you want my advice its:

1. Shop at Holister and abercrombie and Finch

2.Go Blond

3. Learn to dance

But my advice is honestly be you and I agree with anonymous Dump his ass off

• if it is your personality then it would be hard.. if being yourself is nerdy then it is what it is

• Everyone's a nerd inside... the difference is being proud of it!

We nerds actually rule the world... some people don't know that, but it's true...just saying...

• Just be yourself. If your boyfriend and his friends think you're too geeky then ditch them. Seriously, if you change, do it for yourself and not other people. Its better to just find a guy into the same stuff.

• Be who you want to be not who he wants you to be.

Think for your self girl.

• Dump him. He's an ass hole. You should be with some one who makes you feel good about what you do. Don't compromise for him. I don't care how much you might love him it's not okay for him to make you feel anything like he is. he and his friend's a jerks and you need to dump that loser right now. I think it's cool to do all that stuff, and it's fun, I mean I'm not into manga and anime, but I don't have anything against it. And neither should whoever you're dating. Don't cut back on anything, you are who you are, embrace and and tell him to go f*** himself. he'd to the same to you if it was the other way around and you know it. Some things you can change to match your partner, who you are and what you like isn't one of those things, man up, tell him to shut up and accept it or get out.