Tanning beds shown to cause cancer, yet girls are still tanning!

I don't understand. Between the wrinkles, the leathery skin, and worst of all, cancer, you would think that people would avoid tanning beds (both men and women!). But there seems to be no end in sight for tanning salons. I made a resolution a couple of years ago. Sunscreen, no tanning beds, and a hat outside all of the time. What measures do you take?

Most Helpful Girl

• i go tanning in a tanning bed. and I really like it. it's not so much for the tan I guess, but the warmth.. ha. I close my eyes and it feels like I'm on a beach soaking up some rays. I love the feeling of it. it completely turns my day around if I had a bad one. I really like it. to avoid the leathery skin I moisturize before, during, and after. and my skin is really nice. most of the time, when you girls who tan with leathery skin its usually because they aren't moisturizing properally. but I don't over do it because of the risks I'm taking. I'm not orange. I have a glow. when I was in high school I DEFINITELY over did it. I went everyday and was verrrry dark and I didn't look nice. haha. but I see where you're coming from and some people simply don't like it,. its a very tight small space and some people are uncomfortable with that. and some people are uncomfortable with the heat. but I think it's okay to do as long as it's in moderation and you take care of yourself such as wearing eye protection, and moisturizing.

and if anyone wants to look tan without being under the uva and uvb rays should consider spray tans. most tanning salons have them now and the technology has advanced quite a bit and its virtually impossible to look orange. it's a safe way to have a nice glow. but again that's not for everyone. but they have machines that are automatic and it's quick, easy, and most of the time affordable, because it's not taxed. well in NH where I'm from only uva and uvb tanning is taxed.. but we also don't have sales tax either. but it's an option to consider if you don't want to tan outside or in a tanning bed.

hope this helps! :]

What Guys Said 16

• It's been known for years that increased exposure to UV radiation is correlated with increased risk of skin cancer. That's not even debatable by educated rational people. It's also been known for decades that smoking is correlated with an increase in lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease. That's not debatable either. However people continue to smoke and people continue to tan. People also drink too much, eat too much fatty food, engage in risky activities like snow boarding and riding motorcycles without helmets, and have unprotected sex. Life is full of risks, and every risk has some reward. You get to decide which ones are worth it for you, but not for me, and vice versa. It's called free choice.

• Alcoholism leads to car accidents and disease, smoking leads to cancer, sex sometimes leads to AIDS or STDs. We don't care about the consequences, enjoy life while it lasts.

• Honestly I'm very very sensitive to heat and sunlight and I know it. I don't go out in the sun unless I'm covered. You'll never catch me poolside or by a beach. And the only outdoor activities I enjoy are ones that require wearing tons of safety gear that covers you up anyway.

I don't like the look of a tan on a woman, unless it's the naturally "slightly tanned" kind you get from just being active outdoors. I hate seeing girls laying out by the beach. I'd rather see girls who just go with thier natural complexion.

• I use sunscreen (SPF 35+) if I go to the beach or am on vacation but I refuse to use it or wear hats or do anything special everyday. I also refuse to go to tanning salons, I've never trusted those, I don't care if there's studies or not.

• What measures do I take? Absolutely none, I'm hispanic, I wake up with a tan everyday of my life :P

(although I probably should wear sunscreen, but I heard that was carcinogenic as well so either way we're screwed haha)

• Those poor guidos and guidettes...

xD

• As long as sources (Cosmo) continue to tell girls that tanning makes you hot, girls will continue to regularly tan regardless of side effects.

• i agree its stupid. especially for girls out here in southern california where the sun is out ALL THE TIME. go outside! its free! if your gonna get cancer do it the natural way

• Yeah, I don't understand why girls like to tan. It's pretty unnecessary. Ha ha, its funny though. A lot of my Asian friends try to look white, and most of my Caucasian friends try to get darker skin. I don't understand why some people spend so much time trying to be something they're not.

• lol I was blessed with a year round tan

• Dubious evidence. I've never seen a scientific report on it I can trust, its just a so-called 'fact' people seem to throw around to make themselves seem smart. I doubt its legitimacy. Ofcourse exposing yourself to tanning lights every day for years and years would cause something like skin cancer, but I seriously doubt that moderate although regular use - ie, to point of consistent tanning - would cause any problems to speak of.

• UV Rays are proven to cause cancer. That's what the tanning bed lights are.

Tanning=Cancer. Or ugly. Or both.

• I don't see why you hold this opinion, as if you are trolling or are some how in love with tanning beds, doubtful as you're pale.

She said UV rays cause cancer. Do you not agree with that? Because the lights in the tanning beds are also UV, they cause cancer too.

Apart from that there are cases of tanning beds causing cancer.

You just need to google it.

• I have, in the past, and I have seen no evidence that I have found believable. I said I was open to changing my mind on it if someone presented me with some, but until then I won't believe it. I don't care enough about it to go searching, anyway, because it has absolutely no effect on me wether I believe it or not.

• theres no difference in tanning or sunning (as I like to call tanning in the sun ha!). they both can cause cancer. especially to people like me who don't tan, I burn

• This news about tanning salons is OLD. They're bad for you. No one should use them. I live in Arizona, caplital of hot brutal sun. If I'm going to be outside for more than a few minutes I put on sunscreen.

• I don't see what's so great about tanned skin. I think people look much better in their natural skin tone.

• not black or tan girls.

• i know for sure that I wouldn't want my girlfriend to be doing that, she does sometimes and I don't tell her that it really worries me : /

What Girls Said 32

• i wear lotion with spf everyday and see no reason to tan (spray or tanning bed). I'm pale and feel anything more would look unnatural (i'm a NC20) personally I find tanning unattractive, especially when a pale girl with brown hair tans so deeply her skin looks hispanic then dyes her hair blond. yuck. It's all so unnatural and I feel it's tacky.

Anyway, if people want to look tan there are so many other ways like spray tans without the cancer risk. what I find funny is that a study was done and more girls who are addicted to tanning stopped when they saw these pictures projecting how ugly they'll be when they're old than those who were lectured about the cancer risk. pretty crazy...

• Which reminds me, there was also a study or poll done and there were more girls who quit smoking because they don't want wrinkles than girls who quit because they don't wanna get cancer...

• i read about that too. sadly girls are so superficial. but hey, whatever works to make them stop being stupid and abusing their bodies, right?

• People with tan skin wanna be lighter, people with lighter skin wanna be darker, people with curly hair want straight hair, people with straight hair want curly, people with small boobs want bigger boobs, people with bigger boobs wish for small ones, people who are fat wanna b skinny, people who are skinny complain theyre fat -wtf ! Why can't everyone juss love themselves for who they are!

• I don't tan... I burn and freckle... so no tanning beds for me! I use sunscreen when I'm outside for a long period of time esp when swimming, at the beach, or amusement park. If I don't use sunscreen, I burn and blister!

I think tanning should be a choice, tho. People know the risks of smoking and drinking yet they still do it. Almost everything we do has a consequence. And if we stayed too cautious, no one would enjoy like any.

• 2|0
  • Yes, people do unhealthy things. Drugs, smoking, alcohol, tanning beds, etc. Alcohol is the second leading cause of death in America and it is also considered to cause cancer and is unhealthy too, but people STILL drink alcohol (I don't - and NOT because of "religious" purposes -- I'm actually nonreligious and don't practice any religion; I don't drink alcohol simply because it is very unhealthy, toxic, damaging to the organs, and can cause cancer as well).

Another unhealthy thing are deodorants/antiperspirant deodorants. They can cause breast cancer too.

At the end, most people do unhealthy things, because either 1. They are not informed or educated about the possible risks of what they are doing.

2. They are aware of the potential damages that can be done by what they are doing, but simply don't care.

I tried attaching my sources and the links to the websites, but it won't let me post it because it says I have to be an Xper level 3 in order to be able to post links in my responses. But I am only an xper level 1 because I just joined this site today, lol.

• People are stupid, always following the latest trends and by doing so they just destroy themselves. Tanned people wish they were fair, while fair people wish they had more color... Its mostly because of the media. "Are you fair? Add a little color to your complexion! Go for a tan"... I say you want to tan, just go and lay down in the sun lol

• I only go tanning in a tanning bed before I go on vacation, and during gymnastics season. And right before summer, because do you really want to go on vacation or start your summer and burn right away? No. So when you go tanning your skin is already exposed and you've already gotten the sunburn, and you will tan right away and get a beautiful tan. And do you really want to see a gymnast wearing basically nothing bright white? Lets be honest. No, your really don't. During the winter if I want a tan and I'm not going on vacation anytime soon, or I don't have a gymnastics meet coming up I go get a really natural spray tan. The place where I go does a really nice job of it and it doesn't look fake at all. And during the summer, I just get out my tanning lotion that has SPF 15 in it and go out by the lake or on our roof and tan. And that's what most girls do in my area.

• I would never tan. Not because of the cancer risks just I wouldn't want to look orange. All I can basically say about people not avoiding it because of the cancer risks are: People still smoke cigarettes right? That's a huge risk of cancer, doesn't stop them. People do the dumbest sh*t. They don't care about their bodies. Just watch My Strange Addiction and you'll see how f***ed up people are.

• People are stupid, I stay indoors cause I am a vampire

• Im naturally really light so store bought spray tan and gradual tan lotion is my best friend, and sunscreen spf 45 hourly when I'm in the sun is a must because I burn so bad :( but ya I don't understand tanning beds, the natural sun is even bad why sit directly under the consentraited UV lights willingly

• Right now I envy girls with nice tans. But later in life, those girls are going to be looking at my skin with envy. Tanning beds are ridiculous. I hope they think it's worth it to have nice skin for a few years just to have nasty wrinkly skin later in life.

• Everyone is going to do "stupid, irrational" things because at the time it feels good to do so. Especially since the consequences won't come until later in life...it's hard to imagine that or care about it.

Personally I do all the things you do because I've seen first hand what skin cancer does to people and my family has a big history of it.

• Not just girls...

And I honestly don't know why anyone would do that to themselves. Even if it didn't cause cancer!

• I also never tan and use sunscreen during the day, it's no surprise that I'm quite pale too.

I am a bit envious when I see a young girl with a nice tan though.

I have to admit a little tan DOES look attractive. It makes certain colors look nicer against skin, it nicely disguishes minor redness from shaving or wounds or whatever and gives your skin that sunkissed look (as long as you're young ;) ). But I refuse to use a tanning bed, because I know those girls will look horrible in 20 years.

• Everything you do pretty much and avoiding the sun. They had this addiction show on MTV not so long ago about a girl who would tan until her skin ripped open and I just don't get how anyone could get used to their skin ripping and think it's attractive. Some tans look OK and spray tans are fine but orange, dry skin is just unpleasant.

• I'm on the sunscreen bandwagon as well and I just try to avoid being out in the sun for lengthy periods of time.Its hard to believe that with all of the knowledge we have people are still harming themselves for the sake of vanity.

• Tanning is actually an addiction. We have proved a lot of things in life cause death but does that ever stop people? No.

• being a freckled-face red head, tanning bed=good chance of getting melanoma. I like to get some sun but I wear sunscreen whenever it's a really sunny day and sometime wear a hat.

And it is also ironic that that I see a google ad for tanning on this question...XD

• Girls are ignorant and think tanning will fix ugly and create attractiveness.

I'm not white, I'm actually dark skinned(brown/bronze) and I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear sunblock when I step outside, I can't stress enough how important sunblock is. There IS a history of skincancer in my family and my mom is actually going to get this "mole" checked out because it changes colors and can be irritating.

• anything can cause cancer these days, altough I do agree that it is dumb

• I think people that go to tanning beds are mentally deficient. I use SPF30 sunscreen and sunnies.

• Who cares, let them do as they please. I used tanning beds for a bit, it didn't do much for me anyways.

• I just act normal. I used sunscreen when I remember which isn't often. people do it beacause they want the look and aren't thinking about what its doing to them.

• i like to tan naturally but yeah tanning beds are really stupid and most of the time the tan is not that natural. I think some people are just vain and need to be tan to feel good and attractive. looks are more important to them then the side effects

• I wear spf 15 at the beach, but that's all I do. I don't go to tanning beds, and I'm naturally tan so no matter what sunscreen I wear, ill still get affected by the sun

• I know it's so stupid! I live in Washington State and girls go crazy with tanning. We live in washington damnit, no one expects you to be tan!

• they do this knowing the dangers but we would do anything to look better!

• I really don't give a flying effyouseekay. If I want to lay out by the pool for a little while to soak up the sun and enjoy summer or freshen up my skin in a bed during winter, I'm going to do it. I'm not addicted to it and I don't do it everyday, but I like to at LEAST look healthy and the sun gives off vitamin D and THAT'S healthy. I'm the type of girl who likes to be outside and enjoy nature so that means I'm going to get some sun and since I'm part Native American (1/8 so my skin is more hardy than your average Caucasian), sunscreen and a hat aren't usually part of my outfit. What do you think people did before sunscreen? They didn't wear it of course and do you think they had more cases of skin cancer than us? I don't think so! As long as I don't look like an oompa loompa, I'm fine. A little sun never hurt anyone, but of course I'm going to live life to the fullest and have fun without worry because we're all gonna die one day or another. Might as well say you relaxed and didn't stress before it happened! Now throw me a twinkie would ya!?

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."

"As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do."

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

If freaking out and stressing about every little thing makes you happy then go for it! But my resolution is to just say eff it all and have lots and lots of fun! NO REGRETS! (:

• I don't go to the tanning bed. The last time I went was about 3 years ago, when I had a wedding to be in and didn't want tan lines to show. Other than that, I'm part italian and filipino and I tan very well in the summer. I occasionally wear sunscreen if I know I'm going to be out all day and I usually put it on my face, because my face burns, plus I don't want to wrinkle early lol. As far as people using tanning beds even after the dangers are evident...thats typical...now a days, it seems like everything causes cancer, so why not do what makes you happy? ya know..Cancer is like a raffle drawing, you never know if its going to be you or not...some people who get lung cancer, have never smoked a day in their life! You just never know...so I think that's why some people don't bother with trying to change. Skin cancer is one of the milder cancers as well, not saying its not serious, because it is! But the survival/treatment rate is higher, so I think that also has an effect that people don't take it seriously.

• Drinking, drugs, smoking, junk food, tanning, ect...

The truth is, these are all things that people do that are bad for them. They are called vices and we all have them. If we got scared every time something was said to cause some illness, we would all be sitting at the house all day wondering what would possibly kill us next.

• More from Girls
    2