Why is it when people post images of themselves on here or a video, they're usually not good looking but...

People are usually like, "you're so beautiful, pretty, handsome. Etc" and then when I look at the picture, I'm thinking, am I looking the same person they are? I usually don't find any of them good-looking, and it seems like everyone is just filling their heads with lies to make them feel better about themselves. Why not just be honest? Maybe my head is to far up my own ass, but that's just how I see it.

Most Helpful Girl

• They are being politically correct. People on here go out of their way to lie. I remember I answered a question from a girl asking if she was too fat, I said yes because it was obvious, thighs were rubbing and she was obviously overweight and I got so many thumbs down but everyone else went out of their way to lie.

I also think some people spot low self esteem for some users and will continue to press that they are good looking.

What Guys Said 20

• You're right...people give-out waaaay too many compliments to fat ugly people on this site...I'm guessing they're just trying to be nice (I lie to people all the time about their being good looking, because I figure ugly people need friends too) ...you're so beautiful by the way...

• It could be because those people have spent a bit more time in the real world, than you have.

Studies have shown that kids who spent a lot of time watching television, have very very unrealistic expectations of what people should look like to be considered attractive.

These kids also have body image issues, are more likely to get cosmetic surgery, etc... etc...

If you actually stopped watching the television, and started looking at people in the world around you, you'd realize there are many different standards of beauty. It's not the narrow spectrum that TV networks would have you believe.

• I don't have tv. So

• Maybe if you thought about it a little better, I really have not been influenced as much as other people, and your whole anwse is based on how kids are influenced by tv. So sorry dude, but I live in the real world probably a lot more then most people. Don't act like you know my life. I've never had tv, newspapers and I don't waste my life reading stupid fashion magazines. The main thing that I could had been influenced by is my small ass school I've gone to my whole life

• you guys are retarded

• It's usually say something nice or say nothing at all I guess... If I see a question like that and can't say anything nice I just move on. Actually these days I can't be bothered answering those questions as it requires too much going through websites to look at pictures then go back and write an answer. I do know a lot of girls write less critical things about other girls, moreso if they're friends... Which does my head in, because it's usually gorgeous girls telling their overweight friend they're gorgeous when really their friend should be telling them. I guess that's why some gorgeous people really don't seem to know how attractive they are...

• If I find the person unattractive than I just don't post a reply. Some people might actually find that person attractive.

• I agree, otherwise it's just cruel to go out of your way to put someone down. You can be constructive without hurting someones feelings. There's really no need to. I asked a question and posted pictures with two different styles of hair some liked one some like the other some liked both and anyone who looked at my pictures and told wow jeeze she's ugly, kindly kept their mouth shut. Besides most people with constant enough computer access probably live in developed countries and aren't "ugly"

• People feel the need to keep a spotless persona this site, and the conform in the same way that society does and they become politicaly correct. Even I'll admit I don't like being brutal... Most of the time.

• Ya but if the person is obviously not attractive they shouldn't say anything rather then lying.

• I tend to tell the truth, although sometimes I'll soften the impact of it by following the formula, something good, something bad.

• Ya that's a better way of doing things, as long as both are truthful.

• What an ugly world it would be if we just told everyone the truth 24/7.

"Bitch, yes that dress makes your ass look FAT. no, not phat, f***ing FAT."

Therefore, I have always lived by if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Especially if that something is a lie.

Unfortunately sometimes we are placed in situations in which we HAVE to use euphemisms, like when its your boss or girlfriend feeling kinda low you know? In that case, I don't see any harm done but online? Yeah I don't understand either..

• Maybe they are just doing it because the person has the guts to post their picture. Instead of, you know, hiding behind the anonymous function.

• On here, answering a "am I attractive" question isn't really going out of their way. And it's so much easier to lie on here. There's so many people that like living their world in a false dreamland. I like the harsh reality of things.

• That's what I meant. If someone asks "How do I look?" 99% of the positive responses are going to either be people being polite or desperate people. If someone randomly calls someone pretty, they are either being genuine or they are desperate (most likely a mix of both with an emphasis on the desperate part).

• so you;re implying your not good looking or attractive - nice

people have different tastes - I'm not aware of anyone that is attractive to 100% of the population. Some are more than others, but there's usually always someone who doesn't think so. Unless they ask for it, most of the time if people make a comment on someones picture they mean it IMO

• gee thanks lol

• Why thanks?

• You both have a good point. Everyone has issues their personal issues though.

• dunno why she's replying to me ? I couldn't care less lol

• If I were to post my picture which I have considered if I got compliments great if not who cares I am comfortable with myself

• WOW, THAT'S HARSH! When I tell a girl on there she's pretty, I mean it. And I admit you're cute, but how would it feel if someone said you were ugly & people were lying & saying you were good looking?

• because if you tell the truth on here, your considered a troll

• If I find the poster to be unattractive, I just don't post a response. Vis-a-vis if I think they are attractive I will usually tell them so. I've even asked a few of these sorts of questions myself, because I'm quite insecure. I've gotten mixed responses, but the negative ones actually make me feel worse. So, I just don't see the point in making other people with fragile self-esteem issues feel bad when it isn't necessary, that's all.

• i know this is an old Q, but I like it, so ima answer it.

i wouldn't lie to anyone about their looks. I would hate it if someone lied to me about mine.

but think about this, maybe those people weren't lying, maybe they just have different taste than you.

maybe the person was good looking to them and not to you, maybe they weren't lying.

i've been called ugly by some girls, and I've been called cute, handsome and sexy by others.

so have most people, its just a mater of taste.

• Yeah buy unlike some ppl, I have common sense and know when it's total BS

• Yeah, whatever floats their boat, it's cool.

• yup. glad you understand.

• It's because it's the internet, people can say whatever they please.

But in real life people don't have the guts.

I will tell you straight now you are pretty, that's what guys in real life also think just don't have the guts to say it.

Do you comprehend?

• Honesty is the best policy. I usually try to be as constructive as I can though, because I believe this to be a constructive site. Also, not everyone will think the same person is ugly or beautiful. Some women find me very unattractive, sometimes due to my height, facial features or color...but then there are other girls who think I have decent qualities as well

• haha I saw that pic too

• HAHAHA I don't think you have your head up your ass...it is a nice head..and a nice ass! PMSL ! And, there ARE some weird photos on here...

• Because they can. Some of them to it to be honest, and some of them, as already stated, do it to lie.

• I believe being overly honest is quite a throw-off.

I mean, what if someone came up to your face and told you you're ugly?

It's quite easy going if you're considered good looking, but for plain faces, it's quite hurtful when the public calls you ugly.

The users on here are generally people with fundamental morals, so they will know what is hurtful and what isn't...and I think this is why we lie,calling them "beautiful".

However, some people (like myself) believe looks aren't everything that will determine one's worth, and so we don't really give a crap about whether or not a person appears ugly or not.

I don't know if this answered your question at all..sorry if this was just a ramble and a waste of time for you. lol

• Well I can definitely understand not telling someone their ugly. But you shouldn't tell them you think they're hot either! Just don't say anything at all...

What Girls Said 11

• Beauty's subjective, but yeah, sometimes people do lie to boost someone's confidence. I try to stick to giving genuine complements, or not commenting at all. However, there's rarely someone I find without any good qualities. So, if they want my opinion on their appearance, I'll tell them what I like about them and leave out general statements like "you're so beautiful." If they ask I'll suggest to them ways in which they can improve, but I do it with some tact.

• you know what I'm sorry. I can't be like you, saying mean things about people is not who I am especially publicly, I just don't like how someone can get on hear and say something mean about someone they don't even know, and I just stooped to that level. It won't happen again and you can accept this apology if you want to or not, it's up to you. I'm sorry and I take back the mean things that I said, you are a very pretty girl don't let abyone tell you any different, but not a lot of people out there are as genetically blessed as you, so stop giving them a hard time about what they can't control.

• looks like we both got some growing up then don't we...

• Yes aha I'm only 16, but I'm workin on it (:

• Yeah well I have a good 10 years on you and I'm still working on it, there's always gonna be something that burns ya, it's important to remember to breathe and not let your anger get the best of you. I have let my mouth get away with me in the heat of the moment and have said some pretty mean things. It's not a part of myself I like but I acknowledge it and work on it everyday. It's better for the soul when you confess and apologize too. I will stop ranting, again I am truly sorry. Take care.

• i must agree with jewfrojoey, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. what one finds attractive may not be to you and vise versa. not everyone has the same opinion as yours. so how can you say people lie?

Belgie is also correct. media is a terrible thing on the influence of kids and teens. Just because you don't have tv, you have internet obviously. SCHOOL even does that.

You have some growing up to do with how narrow minded you are. I sure as heck hope you don't act like this in the place you you consider "real world".

But that's just my opinion though.

• I'm not narrow minded lmao. Not everyone has the same opinion as me, no duh. and I never said everyone is lying. But I do see it happen all the time, and I'm sure not going to explain this once again for the millionth time, but my question really wasn't thought through enough and my comments on other peoples answers back up my question. I'm more aware of the real world then most people. So don't act you know what I am

• are you talking about the 'rate me questions'? I noticed it too, but then I remember it's all about preference, and what I may consider beautiful, someone else can think it's not.

• ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO SAY RATE ME, are looking for an ego stroke. no one posts that if they think all they're gonna hear is they're ugly.

• idk maybe its like their opinion or somthing or they are just too big of pussies to say the truth (speaking of that I need someone to be honest with me I had just asked on here if I was ugly and I know someones guna lie so can you answer it because you seem very honest)

• im not saying you should lie and tell someone who is ugly they are pretty.. but you shouldn't be mean.. seriously did we all forget what out parents told us in the first grade "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all"

• Are you assuming that is what I do?

• Okay that makes sense. Just a lot of people have been assuming that's what I do because of this question.

• yeah.. I get it... I see people do that all the time and I'm thinking the same exact thing "are we looking at the same person?"

• because that person is insecure & others want to make them feel better

• No..people just aren't always entirely honest.Sometimes they choose "nice" over "honesty".

• seriously though, when you say that people are told lies "to make them feel better about themselves" does that mean you want people to know the reality so they feel worse about themselves? really?

if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it, why bother with the lies or unnecessary brutality about it. most people KNOW the truth about themselves, they know when they're fat, or ugly, or whatever and having someone say something nice to them just gives them a small boost of confidence. it's not like a couple of compliments is going to turn them from self esteem rock bottom to divatude. so sometimes, yes, people will give inflated compliments but really, it's not hurting anyone. and maybe some of these people DO find them attractive, it might not always be lies, could just be different tastes from yours.

• oh wow didn't read what jewfrojoey said before I commented. weird how our answers were so much alike, but I agree with him too.

• Yeah but people on here keep assuming because of this question i

I give out mean comments to people just because. But I don't.

• Ok I'll be honest, You look like a midget, have a big ass and nose, and no freakin t*ts whatsoever, I'm talkin itty bitty titty committee, anthills, mosquito bites. THIS is why people LIE because the truth hurts! Enjoy!

• Hahaha thanks for making my day. If I had low self esteem that might had some effect on me? Don't be jealous (; my boobs are proportionate to my small bone structure and my ass is pretty dang finee. According to the USA, I'm only 1 inch below average. No where near a midget (: go be insecure about yourself somewhere else ms. Anoymous.

• I like this picture better? I'm not anon now am I? Hahha I need class? Hun, read your so called truthful answer up there and tell me again I need class? Yeah I think not. You might wanna do a little growif up before you give that advice to others. Kay thanks

• if your going to seriously attack her, at least have the balls to not go anon. for it. if this was a joke, then haha