Why do women feel the need to wear makeup? Do men prefer natural women?

I look at most men and think wow he is hot. Then I say to myself if most men don't wear makeup and look great and act confident, why do most women feel the need to mask their actual appearance - who they are with a mask or fake hair (weaves or hair extentions) or skin tones (tanning or bleaching). Why can't women be happy with the way that they are? Yes the media

Shows so called picture perfect females, but they only look okay thanks to technology! In reality they don't look that way.

Most Helpful Girl

• I definitely see your point- why do women need artificial inhancments to make them feel confident and pretty. But, I also think you need to realize even without make up we all try to craft our image to give us confidence (both men and women)- the clothes we choose to wear, the jewelry we have, how we style our hair etc. are all really decisions in projecting the image we want other people to see. I don't think makeup is a bad thing necessarily, (although I rarely wear it) I believe it's only a negative thing for those women who think they can't be attractive without it. There are a lot of women out there who would never consider leaving the house without makeup and many more who feel their "professional" image isn't complete without it. I think that kind of devotion to it is unhealthy because it becomes tied tightly into your perception of yourself and you feel ugly without it.

But, there are also plenty of women like me who put on makeup when the mood strikes, like doing something different with my hair or getting my nails done once in a blue moon. I am perfectly content without any of those things and they aren't part of my daily appearance, but every now and then it's fun to play around with. Keep in mind though, every once in awhile I decide to take a day where I throw my hair up in a ponytail, throw on a ball cap, old jeans, and my favorite 4-year old t-shirt. (Actually, that happens more often than the dressed up me lol). My point is I think it's OK to play with different looks and various degrees of artificial inhancements as long as in the end you can look in the mirror after your shower and still think you're a pretty, worthwhile person.

• You go girl! A lady who is happy with her natural appearance is happy with herself.

What Guys Said 6

• Good question! Women do look better in make up when they make the right choices, but I've done enough theatre to know that men also look better with make up and trimmed eyebrows (yes I was shocked to know some lipsticks actually 'improve my complexion' lol). So why is the onus on women to improve their looks through paint and ornaments and not men? You know it just struck me I was reading a famous historical novel called The Source about prehistoric times in Isreal and even then women were the ones to wear ornaments. I think maybe there's something genetic about a woman and beautifying (not just themselves but things around them including their mate)? Lol I'm not sure I took this in the direction you were going for..

• All opinions are welcome although the question is more geared towards the impact of the media and the need to feel pressured to look like something that you're not. But once again thanks for your comment.

• Thats not why women do those things. For a girl it is socially acceptable to do those things in a way in which she feels will improve herself, and thus give herself better confidence and better luck, and also hide or rose-tint anything she's insecure about, so she does not have to be insecure.

For men, it is not socially acceptable, therefor they have to get used to themselves as they are daily. Men go to the gym, and stuff like that though. Which is their form of socially-acceptable self-improvement. They wear the kinds of clothes that men who get lots of female attention wear, because they try to emulate them. Things like that - men have less obvious forms of self-enchantment for confidence and such.

If we were endlessly happy with ourselves, or our surroundings, nothing would change, or be interesting.

• the realistic truth is that women pride themselves on how they look, regardless of how smart/interesting they are. its not to attract men, its more about competition with other women. the better skin a woman has the better she'll be while competing with another woman for the same man. its kind of like (unless you're not shallow) when you see two guys. they both have the same personality but they have different physiques. one is strangly and small the other is big and tough. you'll probably go for the big and tough guy because that's what usually happens (again, I know there are those women who aren't that shallow) I'm just pointing it out. men have competitions too, just like women

• if a guy just happens to be attracted to you because you have makeup on then so be it. but girls don't do it for men. that's my main point. I was just giving it in more detail

• Natural is more beautiful because it defines a person. I prefer women who do not wear makeup or eye shadow and weave. I dnt care how good a women looks but if she has weave in her hair, its a major turn off in my opinion. That's just my opinion.

• It nice to know that there are men out there that prefer natural women.

• I've been wondering the same thing. To me, if a woman is pretty she doesn't need makeup, and if she's not makeup can't help, it only looks like she's trying to be something she's not. Better just be who you are, whatever it is.

• I agree with that, but people tend to get upset with such statements. I don't wear makeup as such only lipstick or mascara, make can be very deceptive.

• I even find mascara completely unattractive. It just screws up the natural look of the eye, I hate it so much...

• Mascara looks bad when too much is applied (spider legs) that's when the eyes look distorted. LOL

• of course natural beauty is the best!

What Girls Said 7

• You answered your own question it is society's fault and the media encourages it. The media blasts girls with images of pretty models and actresses so they feel the need to improve themselves. The thing most girls don't know is that those models are fake see link (scroll down to the second video). In my case I really don't wear make up often but that's cause I go to culinary school and we can't wear makeup.

• I personally don't feel the need to wear it, but I love to do it. It's fun to put on and fun to play with ^_^ I love how I look with or without make-up, but If I had the choice I'd wear some cover-up, eyeliner and maskera. I like making the dramatic swoops, the blending techniques, the change one little angle can make...I'm an artsy girl with almost every aspect of my life, make-up is just another medium for me to experiment with ^_^ Many women feel the need to conform to society's expectations of what the 'Perfect Girl' should look like. They use it as camoflauge to fit in. You've already answered the bit about why women can't feel happy with how they look. Impossible standards. Did you know that magazines like Maxims shells out an astounding amount of cash to companies that can digitally make the 'Perfect girl' so they can draw in more veiwers with the impossible beauty? The more technologically advanced we get, the higher the standards for physical beauty go.

• You are absolutely right. I think that when we learn to love ourselves companies as such would become bankrupt. LoL

• Definately. Could you imagine if every girl stopped buying any cosmetics, even for one day? Another economic crash X3 Would never happen, but it's fun to think about for those of the opinion that women and teens don't contribute anything X3

• I don't wear makeup everyday. If you wear it daily over time your skin would be ruined, and it goes to the point that you can't LIVE without makeup. But if I am going to certain places (interview, dancing, wedding) then I would wear a little bit of makeup.

Funny, when I wear makeup, the first thing I always find myself doing when I get home is to immediately wash it off.

Most of my girlfriends do not wear makeup. Only one of my friends cake on makeup everyday like routine, and I don't get how she could live with those chemicals on her face. And she tells me that I would look more feminine with makeup because I have a pixie cut.

I prefer my natural skin, anyways. And most men that I know do too! :D

• Well I own make up, but I hardly ever wear it. I just keep it around for special occasions like giving an important presentation (its hard to convince people you deserve respect without looking the part) or attending someone's wedding (because the people attending expect me to put some thought into my appearance). And there are days when I just feel bad, emotionally or physically, then I wear make up because I simply don't want to be seen. I probably wear the stuff 20 days out of the year

• Makeup makes feel pretty

• If you don't mind me asking? Has anybody ever seen you without it and complimented you on your natural appearance?

• Being able to wear no makeup and allowing others to see you as you are, just shows that you are confident in your own skin.

• :) Yeah.. I guess my thing was I would get SUPER dressed up and "beautified" to meet guys.. but now I have a guy and I care about him a loy and so it doesn't matter as much

• it's fun to me. I enjoy changing up my appearance with makeup and hairstyles. I do appreciate the rare STRAIGHT men who make an effort, I think too many guys aren't as up on their looks as they could be.

• I think men look great when they are well groomed, I'd hate to see a straight male wear make or any male as a matter of fact, they don't really need it.

• i wear it for me, not for guys