Considered stuck up if you dress nice?

Why do people consider girls who look nice, dress in designer and name brand clothes/bags/shoes, have higher end make-up, etc. fake? I just do not get it! Like I get that really long fake nails or a super fake looking tan or obviously fake boobs or extensions (bad ones at least) etc. make a girl look fake, but I hear people complaining that because someone else looks nice and wears designer/name brand clothes they are automatically stuck-up, snotty, rich, fake, bitchy even if they are the nicest person in the world. I just don't get it.

Im not saying I don't judge people. Because everyone does, it's human instinct. But when I do judge someone I try to get to know them to. Just saying!

Most Helpful Girl

• I wish I knew. It really annoys me too because people make these ridiculous assumptions without getting to know the person but it's human nature to judge people based off their looks. It would be a enormous lie to say that we never judge each other off of our first impressions.

This doesn't really answer your question but it reminded me of back in high school during my senior year, I took a sex ed class and we passed around papers with a classmates name on top and we would each write our first impression. I specifically remember 23/30 kids said I was either stuck up, rich, or high maintenance solely based on what the clothes, shoes, and purses that I had. The other seven said positive things just because I was already friends with them. It's irritating that I am constantly negatively judged just because I like the finer things and I am able to get those things but whatever. I still get judged about it to this day, but I will not change myself just to get a different opinion from others. I'm not here to please anybody else and you should always be your complete self.

• OMG. That sounds just like my situation! It bugs me so much and stuff, but the only people who don't think I'm stuck up are the friends that I already have and have been friends with for awhile! And even some of them think I'm stuck up. It's annoying, and not true. But I guess that's just life?! Ha.

What Guys Said 6

• cause 99% of the time the assumption is true...

only 1% of girls actually know how to live life and get a career for themselves to take care of themselves

the other 99% leech off parents. leech off rich boyfriend. leech leech leech need I say more?

• not exactly 'stuck up' but probably high maintenance.

A girl with some brand names on her clothes doesn't get my interest. She's just showing to the whole world that her dad can afford it. (or her sugardaddy, which is even worse)

Isn't unbranded lothing just as good?

• OK, when I was in school, a lot of girls like you described WERE snotty, and I'm guessing that's why, but that's not right! I've met just as many girls who dress nice that way & are FAR from being stuck up! I'm sory if people are doing that to you. I agree, before judging someone, you should know them & judge them on facts, not assumptions...

• Update: I'm not saying I don't judge people. Because everyone does, it's human instinct. But when I do judge someone I try to get to know them to. Just saying!

You don't dress in expensive clothes by accident. You do it with a certain purpoose.

• It's not about what people would think. if you're confident about your appearance, you won't give a f**k and that will come out. So, the people who really understand where you're coming from will notice and acknowledge it.

HOWEVER, if you will keep looking for approval from everyone, you will be actually Stuck Up. and that too will come out. And then, no one will approve that.

• Why do you need to wear that sh't anyway

• look at a girl wearing an outfit from target and look at a girl wearing an outfit from coach or dulce and gabana or jcrew, etc. who looks better? before you even know what brand her clothes are, you are G O I N G to say the girl wearing designer clothes, hands down. its just human nature to like finer things in life without even knowing it.

• lol maybe you can tell the difference but for the most part I can't tell the difference between an outfit from target and something from coach or whatever. I can tell you the difference between cars, computers, minor differences in football and basketball plays, investment options, punching bags, weight benches, marketing strategies but as far as where an outfit is from I can't really tell you oh that outfit is from target and this from a coach all that much, never really cared about it either.

• hahahaha, loovee comment #2

What Girls Said 8

• IDC what brand it is... Seriously and I don't get paying for designer clothes unless the fabric is better or the quality of stitching is impeccable.. Girls constantly Tell me what such and such costs but they never glorify how it looks.. That's how I know MOST of the girls in designer are stuck up. They only wear it costs more. I highly doubt they check the stitching, the fabric, sturdiness, wash instructions the overall quality. They just want to shove it down my throat that it costs more. My stupid ass ex bought a $600 dollar bag from Gucci.. Only to discover that the dye on the inside rubbed off on EVERYTHING he put in the damn bag.. MORON... And note.. If two girls were wearing similar outfits one designer one not. I would probably pick the " knock off " Because they look the DAMN SAME.

• they are just mad they can't afford it. I love my louis pursure and my burberry hat. just a few things I wear that are name brand. some people will say oh I would never spend that much for a purse. well that is good for you! they are just jealous. rock your name brands proud and don't worry about them calling you fake

• honestly from someone who wears the most simple of clothes from walmart and still have people hate... chick just do you because no matter what you wil always have haters and people that will talk about you no matter what you wear or come off to them.

• All people, even if you believe it or not, judge on looks. People with higher end make-up, designer and name-brand clothes and shoes etc., and other stuff, are just considered as snobs at first. If somebody talks to a girl like that and learn that she is not a bad person, the name calling might stop for people that that person knows, but the truth is that everyone judges on appearance, even if they think they don't. People don't expect me to be part of the nerd herd, as we call ourselves, at my school due to my looks. They expect me to be in the popular crowd, or the loners. One or the other... but really once they hear me talking a lot about anime or video games they are shocked about how I behave compared to my appearance. I hope I helped you out a little :D

• Ya you did Because like I know I judge people still because its human instinct, but at the same time I don't do it as much as others because I know what it feels like to be on that end of it, like all through middle school and even now in high school, I've been called the rich bitch and such a whore, because my house is big for the area I live in and because I wear designer clothes and I wear skirts and dresses in the winter. just my $ .02, haha

• Gross! Dx I'd hate being in the phys-ed class there Dx

• Uhhh. Ya. I used to always have to sit next to the smelliest, weirdest guy in my spanish class until just recently he put me behind this really hot kid. I don't care that he's so tall compared to me (I'm extremely short) that I can't see the board, at least I don't have to hold my breath in class anymore!

• I am not trying to act crude but I can't stand leaving my house without holister.Or some source of designer. And I'm not a bitch I'm probably one of the sweetest caring people ever! ( and I'm not trying to be full of myself ether.)

• Same but not really Hollister, I mean I wear it, but I mostly wear A&F, D&G, Ralph Lauren, etc. Cause wearing Hollister alllll the time is kind of trashy to me because it's not really all that nice. But I love their perfume! And I only get my sweats from PINK.

• Yah I mean like you said I don't always wear holister but you get it haha. I love pinks jackets. And A&F mini denim skirts. :)

• i dress nice for myself,not the approval of others.and I'm not stuck up at all,theres nothing wrong with liking fashion and looking good(: people are so judgmental these days...

• I get why someone who wears expensive stuff could be called snotty and stuck-up, cause more times than not those girls' parents get them that sh*t. so they don't know the value of a dollar and people like that are annoying. like kim kardashion, she thinks her sh*t don't stink.

• usually people assume girls who dress nice are either rich or date rich guys. so if a guy is not rich he can get intimidated by that. and if a guy is immature, instead of acknowledging his own insecurities, he will just attack the girl or name call to make himself feel better. girls will attack you because they are jealous that you look nice and dress in the latest fashions. they are envious of your image. all girls who dress nice aren't stuck up, and all stuck up girls don't dress nice.