Girls shaving legs during winter? Am I asking for too much?

My girlfriend does not shave her legs during winter, and if I'm ever holding her and I happen to touch her legs, she'll silently and awkwardly remove my hand. We both know its embarrassing and unattractive, yet I've felt rough hair every time I see her. Would I be asking too much for her to shave her legs? I know its not a nice thing to say but it does kind of bother me. I see her on weekends because we both have school.

On a side note. She used to wear tight jeans and had decently maintained nails, but she stopped. She wears baggier jeans and her nail polish is always worn. These are small things and I don't need them but they'd also be nice. Should I ask her to take care of these things too?

I guess in a lot of ways she's cut down on how she presents herself. I feel like an asshole if I ask her because I do love her and I don't want to hurt her feelings, I just want her to take care of these things the way she used to. What's your take on things? Thanks!

Lol thanks for all the answers! I actually decided to talk to her about it and cautiously, yet kindly asked her if she was willing to do these things for me. And she said yes! So problem solved, but thank you very much.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think this happens to a lot a of people when they get comfortable in a relationship- they don't try as hard to impress the person, and definitely not to the extent of always looking their best like they did back in the beginning. To some degree, I think it's only natural and it's a good thing that the person you're with doesn't NEED you to be glamourous all the time. That being said, I can hear where you're coming from missing the little attentions she used to pay to her appearance. Personally, I do the things you mentioned (shave my legs, paint my nails, wear cute clothes) for me and sometimes I just really don't FEEL like it. I sort of go through phases- some weeks I'm really into doing my hair nice, painting my nails, and putting together great outfits and other weeks I'm perfectly content with my hair tossed in a ponytail, no nail polish, and comfy jeans and a hoodie. Those phases usually happen when I'm stressed or something is weighing on me- has something changed in your girlfriend's life recently? If not, maybe you guys have sort of hit a kind of rut where you don't really do the formal "date" thing anymore- you just get together, hang out (alone or with friends), but without any of the ceremony of going out to a nice dinner and a movie. It's easy to let go of the nice touches of appearance when the nice touches of dating have faded away to. I'm not saying you have to go out all the time (that'd be ridiculous and expensive!), but if you guys went out to a nice restaurant one night, I can almost guarantee she'll dress for the occassion. And, personally, if I have to do it once during a not-so-glam phase, it reminds me how good it makes me feel and I start to do it on a more regular basis. Maybe make it like a once a month kind of thing? And, like everyone else said, complimenting her when she does can only help.

As for the shaving thing- I'll admit, I shave less in the winter because, having dark hair, it's a freaking pain in the ass to try to keep all visible hair from my legs all summer so winter is a nice break for me because no one sees my legs anyway. I drop down to once a week instead of 3 times a week and if I'm feeling lazy, I might let it go a week and a half. I don't know if I would appreciate my boyfriend asking me to shave- I get that you like smooth legs, but so do I and I'm not asking you to shave yours! It's a personal choice if/how often I shave and it might make me feel unattractive, as well as arouse the feminist in me who says I can be sexy with or without hair on my legs and I shouldn't have to conform to a certain picture. But I do get where you're coming from because my own hairy legs turn me off and I never go on a date without making sure they're smooth. It's a bit of a difficult situation, but maybe the compliments everyone else suggested might work?

What Girls Said 24

• compliments always work similar to

" I love how smooth your legs get in summer "

" What happens to that color you wear on your nails looks hot "

" those jeans make you look shapely and hot "

SUGGEST SUGGEST SUGGEST ! If you don't want to hurt her feeling then avoid complaints.. Hide you intentions in well crafted compliments. I do it too my boyfriend and he picks up very quickly! lol I have never had to complain or insult him using this method. If this fails after several attempts you will have to just ask her to shave her legs, wear tighter jeans, and polish her nails..

• some girls don't shave their legs in the winter because the hairs help reduce the cold...but if it borders you tell her in the nicest romantic way...same with the baggier jeans and nail care like tell her you loved a paticular nail polish she used at one time,it will make her feel happy because you noticed the nail polish she used,and she'll improve...and tell her the skinny jeans look better on her that you miss her wearing them,u said you love her and am sure she loves u..so tell her she'll understand..u could help her paint her toes while she does her hands...lol

• if your going with this approach--- don't throw that out there all at once... she could get offended.

• Your legs get so hairy that they fend off the cold?!? O_O

...ew, lol

• @cherry0172...i know he should take his time.

• I would just make sure you tell her how beautiful she is. She might be feeling a little down on herself lately...oh and the leg thing...holy sh*t I hate shaving my legs. It's a f***ing chore for real. I already paint my face, file my nails, do my hair, and weightrain. I can't f***ing take much more. It is a lot of bullsh*t to put yourself out there in a way society deems acceptable. I mean I don't have to do any of those things...but I feel like I should because it is expected of me and since I have been doing it all my life...I feel a little down when I don't. Shaving my legs...hey man you want to shave yours over the tub? It sucks...it's a pain in the ass...and I am willing to let that one go for myself...and if my boyfriend or some guy who liked me, asked me to shave them...I would tell him to eat sh*t...I already have to groom enough things...!

This whole thing reminds me of a very well known... John Lennon song...

• Well I get why she does not shave them because once you do you have to go through the week or so of rough stubble again rather then the soft hair. I would think the best thing to do is really compliment her when she does do something you like such as shave or wear the jeans you like or tell her when her nails look great. You can try to ask her to do that stuff but you might want to pick the most important to you because if you come at her with 3 things rather then just one she may feel like you care more about her appearance then who she is.

• I think you should have a nice date, something where you both dress up and while your on the date say something like "I miss the days when we used to dress up like this, WE should do it more often."

• we don't enjoy shaving so maybe your should shave your legs and see how it feels. then you would have a better understanding

• That didn't answer the question. All the other ladies answered helpfully and with an open mind, maybe you should try it sometime.

• We don't enjoy hairy legs so maybe you you should grow a d**k and get a girlfriend that doesn't shave her legs and then you'd have a better understanding! :D

• And many men don't shave their pubs! Do we like that no! So maybe you should go down on a guy that doesn't like to shave down there like many of y'all do and then tell me how you like it. Same f***ing difference

• i shave my legs during winter becausei wear shorts for p.e

• no shave November

dont care dcecember

jungle legs January

f*** it February

monstrous March

lol...unless I'm going to have sex there is no way in hell I'm shaving regularly during the winter, ill shave everycouple of weeks to keep things from getting too out of hand, but if no one is going to see my legs why do they need to be hairless...if I'm planning on showing them off that's another story

• not shaving your legs is just gross. man, I couldn't go a whole week let alone a while season without shaving my legs. I'm sure glad that problem was solved. man I can't imagine how hairy her legs was. it must of been like a guys legs. eww. hairy legs is for guys..not girls.

• I used to shave my legs almost everyday but I got tired of it so I resorted to once a week during winter. In winter , am always wearing long clothes its not like anyone is going to see my legs so I just let them be. But in summer since its warm , I obviously do shave them since I usually wear more revealing clothes.

About your girlfriend , talk to her in a nice way . don't make her feel bad about it.

• No it is not asking too much but you never know she could be more sensitive to cold weather. I shave regardless, hair is gross there.

• This is the way I feel about it. If I am single and have no intention of dating I was shave every two weeks. If I have a boyfriend or am going on dates I will shave my legs every three days.

• No, I keep myself shaved all the time.

• no its not asking too much

• nope

• I guess not, but that do't make it suck any less.

• i don't shave my legs in winter either but then again I don't grow that much hair

• Not asking for too much...

• It's all in your head, you only think women should have shaved legs. A long time ago, women didn't even have shave their armpits. It's just psychology, overcome, & get over your addiction to women being hairless.

• glad your problem was solved :-)

for me personally I have to shave my legs in the winter. it just hurts if I dont. and it's embarrassing and ugly.

• I work out and have gym this year for school...so I shave every other day but there are weeks where I say screw it and don't shave for 3-4days (luckly I have blond hair) but you NEED to understand that us girls do so much just so guys accept us and shaving everyday is such a hassel...she could be feeling down so try complimenting her and say she is pretty blahblahblah. Also she if she will wax her legs cause you do that less often then shaving them:)

• shaving your legs every day is a lot of work...in the winter I shave but less often but if I know I'm going to be wearing a skirt ,going to a party or with guys then I will totally shave! you should tell her how much you LOVE it when she shaves and how much your turned on!

• im not sure what's with everyone and not shaving in the winter but I at least shave twice a week in the winter, its hygienic and feels clean. personally I don't think its too much to ask her to shave.

• I agree with kenani, to be honest. I mean sometimes I don't shave in the winter because I wear pants and no one sees my legs. Not to mention my boyfriend couldn't give a crap if I do or not. I mean he always loves it when I do, so I do my best to keep them nice and smooth, but if it's been a long couple of days, or I don't have a razor on hand then he doesn't care. But my last one did and he was an ass about it, what I'd do is exactly what Kenani said to. It's nice to know that your boyfriend notices the things that you mostly do for yourself, and if you mention that you really liked that color she'll probably start putting effort into it again. Or if you say how great her legs looked in those skinny jeans, or how sexy it was or whatever you feel like saying that's a compliment, she'll probably start wearing those again. It's an easy manipulation tool my both my boyfriend and I use all the time on each other but it works and it shows how much you notice on her, and how you really do realize when she make an effort. As for the legs I'd just ask her why she doesn't shave, don't be mean about it just curious, because it seems like you are. And express to her how you really like it when she does. And just talk about it. If she's a logical, reasonable person she'll understand you're not insulting her and not trying to make her feel bad and she'll be willing to talk about it with you with out storming off or getting offended.

What Guys Said 1

• Gotta stay warm in the winter right?