If a guy describes a girl as?

"Not hot but decent looking.". Is it a good or bad thing?

Most Helpful Guy

• HORRIBLE! A woman wants to be ASTONISHING not decent looking.

What Guys Said 5

• Bad, I'm afraid...

But not necessarily terrible.

It probably means he's not that interested in pursuing you right now. This doesn't mean he won't change his mind later. He could be attracted to you but not willing to admit he likes you yet. I once said something similarly stupid about a girl who I later realized was quite attractive.

The other possibility is that he is actually pursuing you right now, but is doing so reluctantly. This is actually a worse situation, if he feels like he's settling for you.

Of course, it could also be because he doesn't want to get his hopes too high up, not knowing if there's any chance of having a relationship with you or not. In that case, it's not so bad. You've heard of the story of the "Fox and the Sour Grapes" right? Well, this works in reverse. The fox tells himself the grapes aren't that great so as to not get his hopes up, but once he can actually taste them, he admits that they are in fact more sweet than he could imagine.

• JFJ does have some what of a point, but not entirely true. If I guy would describe you as hot most of what is on his mind is "Man I would like to get in her pants." Yes he is more likely to date a hot girl because of the power of sexual attraction. However a few guys, myself included, are honest and will tell a girl how he really sees her. The girl I am interested in now is not "Hot" but she is decent looking. But I would much rather date her than someone who is hot because her personality is far superior.

If a guy dates a girl he believe is decent looking instead of pursuing someone who is hot then it is more than likely going to be a relationship that will last longer, due to the fact that the guy is looking to settle down.

The complete explanation is complicated and uses far more words than what is allowed in a single post but I think this gives you the idea.

So don't give up on him and I hope things go well.

-TheFallen

• When you say decent looking, do you mean she's plain looking or is there something more?

Also considering your dating a decent looking girl, are you more attracted to her personality than to her looks? Sorry, just trying to get a bit more understanding :)

• When I say decent looking it means they are attractive. Its all rated on a scale. Disgusting, Hideous, Ugly, Normal, Decent, Beautiful, Hot. When I decide to date someone its 30% looks, 40% Personality, and 30% intelect. When I chose the first thing I look at is a womans looks because that is the easiest thing to discover. A quick glimpse and you have here looks figured out. Then its personality and intelec.

• Cool, thanks for your input and clarifying this :)

• Most of the time, yes. He doesn't think you're ugly. But he'll probably never consider you as a potential girlfriend.

• So does it translate to him thinking that the girl is plain/average looking or just a bit more above average?

It was just an interesting comment from a conversation I overheard.

• depends, I guess it depends on the girl. I guess there is a range but I've always heard it used to describe girls that are OK, not unattractive but not attractive or girls that are slightly attractive. wether or not he would date you depends on the guy you might be below his standards, his standard, or his standards

• GOOD

What Girls Said 2

• i wouldn't consider that a compliment...

• i wouldn't take it as a compliment or insult. he just said the girl was OK looking. he didn't say she was ugly.