Am I unattractive to most guys becase I don't shave?

I am having a really hard time asking my mom to let me start shaving. I wonder if this bothers others or makes them think I'm ugly. I do have a boyfriend but I don't know if anyone else could ever like me. I feel embarrassed and ugly all the time. How should I ask her, when, what should I say? I like winter because I can wear pants and long sleeved shirts to cover this up, but in gym we wear shorts! Help! I am so confused and desperate and sad.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you can cover it up easily, then don't worry too much about it.

But, if you're going to be showing off some leg or arms, then shave. And if you've got a ton of facial hair, shave that or lighten it. I know of a few women with face stubble (one or two with full grown mustaches, and they don't bother to get rid of it. Frankly, it's a tad bit gross.)

Facial hair is definitely out. It's a turn off for me personally.

About leg and arm hair...just talk to your mom. If she won't let you shave (I don't know why she wouldn't) And if it's that important, save up for a shaver, then buy one yourself. At this age, that sort of thing is more of a privacy kind of thing, as well as being expected. It doesn't hurt you (ok, tweezing the eyebrows is not fun, but I digress) so go ahead.

It might help if you give a logical reason to it (For example, most people claim that male swimmers can't have much body hair because it slows them down.)

As for what guys are attracted to, it's different. Some guys won't mind. Some will freak out at the slightest bit of leg stubble, and some love the hairy legs.

I would say that for the most part, most guys are fairly understanding about it if you're a smidge hairy (especially if super busy, etc), but I think most US born men still prefer a woman to not be able to light a match with their stubble.

Most 14 year old females (I would think) wouldn't need to ask their mothers if they're allowed to have a bra. It's just kind of a necessity. Same with the razor issue. Same with deodorant.

Bring it up, hopefully your folks would be mature enough to understand, and would not hesitate to help you out.

Good luck to you. I know this comes from a male perspective, but I hope this still gives you some information you can use.

What Guys Said 4

• Just to add my opinion.

It is a medical fact that a woman produces pheromones from her armpits, and I have found that a woman who DOES NOT comply with the "social norm" of shaving/waxing (or whatever else) their armpits actually produce a higher level of pheromones; to the extent that pre and during sex these pheromones are a HUGE aphrodisiac and as a result increase both partners sexual experience.

However, a woman that does shave/ wax etc. actually "hardens" the skin of the armpit, which in turn reduces the release of these natural pheromones.

I actually have a wealth of information on this topic, with actual experiences and "studies" and anyone who is interested can add me as a friend here and I can then share these with you.

Or you can E-mail me on dbnfun@hotmail.com

• Can I ask why you have to get permission from your mom to start shaving? Just do it. It's your body.

• It's probably a good idea to shave the legs. And eventually the arms and armpits. That seems to be the standard. Don't worry.

• How much hair are we talking? What areas of the body? Do you look like a chimpanzee? More details will provide a better platform for answers.

What Girls Said 6

• Well, you need to try to get comfortable around your mother and talk to her about these girl stuff. I understand that it might seem very awkward at first, but this will only show your mother that you are growing up and want to take care of your body, as well as look your best. Try to expand your communication with your mother.

Don't jump the question out at her from no where. If you really feel weird and just can't ask her, wear long sweats in gym in the winter! My school allows it, and I think that your school should too, if you ask politely. Also, people should like you for who you are. And you have a boyfriend! Be grateful that you have him and that he doesn't look at your legs and arms to determine how pretty you are and your personality. I wish I had a boyfriend as loyal, caring, and respectful as you have right now!

• I think you need to sit your mom down and tell her how you feel and for the when part like now! Because no one likes nasty legs. But anyways tell your mom how you feel about it and what the effect of not shaving is. If she's as cool as my mom she'll understand.

• Yeah, that kind of sucks. You should have a talk with your mom.

Get a day that she is in a good mood, happy with you. Tell her that most girls your age shave, ask if you can shave up to your knees first, open you heart, maybe she'll reconsider.

If she doesn't, don't make it into a fight. She's most likely to see that you grew up by acting like a grown up.

You could make them lighter, get one of those things that make your body hair sort of blond... it's much better like that.

Good Luck, and remember that eventually she'll have to let you shave. So start working on when.

• If it's gonna make you feel more confident then you should do it, just speak to ur mom you didn't explain if she is against the idea or not.

• You should be able to ask your mom to shave and you should be able too. And when you do put lotion on to make them soft and then were short shorts to school lol just for fun. Its just a question she can't flip on you cause you asked an innocent question.

luv,

Frenchy ^-^

• easy sneak stuff in

buy a razor and shaving cream