Guys, do you use "curvy" to describe an hour-glass body SHAPE or does it now mostly refer to being heavier?

I've noticed that the word "curvy" seems to have changed meanings in our society. When I hear it, I think of Scarlett Johanson, Jennifer Hudson (way she is now), Sofia Vergara, Marilyn Monroe, etc. Even Miley Cyrus is curvy, & she isn't considered thick (which isn't bad just different). To me, curvy=body shape, not weight.

Now, its seems like a more polite way to refer to someone who has more to love, not necessarily hour-glass. I'm not at all trying to say which body is best or say skinny/heavy is bad, but I just want to know:

When you describe a girl as curvy, or someone tells you she's curvy, when do you know that it's "curvy hour-glass shape" that is meant, and not overweight? Does it depend on the tone or something? Or do you assume it means a person is unflatteringly overweight?

Just curious!

Most Helpful Guy

• For me curvy would mean a Scarlett Johanson type of figure. Hour glass.

Curvy is definitely a good thing!

What Guys Said 13

• kind of both. an hourglass figure most definitely entitles the title curvy. however a chubby girl can also have curves.

i don't use it to describe really big girls

• 'Curvy' is like Jennifer Lopez and her big booty & hips. It also applies to breasts, meaning that the breasts are large. Also, some may not know this, but, curvy also applies to thick, supple legs. Kind of that slight protruding curve some get on their thighs (usually on women with semi-muscular legs), not to mention the outward curves of the thighs just below the hips, its another part of womanly-ness that turns guys on.

• Sadly it can be a diplomatic way of defining a girl as fat, but in general curves are a good thing. Straight lines appear nowhere on a natural human body, and an hourglass figure is very pleasing to the eye. Personally, I would use curvy to describe a girl with a healthy shape.

• Curvy = body shape, such as the hourglass, that emphasizes the body parts that make a woman's body different from a man's. This means having a more exaggerated/drastic difference in size between the waist and those body parts. It doesn't mean the waist has to be small, just small in relation to the hips/thighs/butt/chest. Weight and overall body mass have no bearing.

• If I hear a girl described as curvy, I assume she's at least obese and probably morbidly obese. If a girl has great curves, people are more likely to specifically name them. For instance, "Scarlett has incredible breasts and pretty nice butt too." It's just the overuse of a euphemism. Kind of like how if a girl is described as having a "great personality" it usually means she 31 flavors of ugly. If a girl actually has a great personality people are more specific. Like, "Mary is just the sweetest, kindest person you'll ever meet," or "Shiela is so adventurous and wild," or "Shelly is really funny and a ton of fun to be around."

There must be equivalents for guys too. Like if guy is described as "nice" that's usually worse for him in terms of attracting a girl than if he's described as "an ass." Similarly if a guy is "thin" that probably means "scrawney." If he has "thinning hair" that either means "bald as a cue" or "combover city."

This is kind of fun! What others can you think of?

• I use it to describe the sexy hourglass shape, but it seems like curvy to most other people means overweight. Kind of a shame. We lost a great descriptive word so we could be "politically correct." Excuse my French, but F*** THAT SHIT.

If you're overweight, deal with it. Either love yourself for who you are or get it dealt with. Yes, it can be genetic, but that can be treated with drugs...

Sorry... ranting now xP

BTW, that definitely wasn't aimed at you.

But yeah, in summary curvy=overweight, but should =sexy hourglass

• I think in society curvy now means like 30 to maybe 100 pounds overweight. Any thing over that would probably be considered being fat to society even though being over 100 pounds overweight would more than likely be considered morbidly obese, medically speaking. When I think of curvy I think of a girl with an hourglass shape or pear shape. A girl that is 5'4" at 200 pounds with large breasts and an apple shaped body would be considered "curvy" by society standards now IMO even though she is more round like a basketball shape than having the actual curves in the hips to waist or waist to breasts that men look at.

Society has to lie to people and be politically correct because we don't want to be offensive or hurt anyone's feelings. Most women claim to want an honest man but do they really? Don't know if many could handle a truly honest person.

• For me, 'curvy', means fat (far beyond 20lbs overweight). I would never use that word to describe an hour-glass figure. 'more to love', to me, means a little extra weight meaning up to 20lbs overweight.

• Interesting--so then how would you describe a girl who has actual curves then? Like, how Lindsey Lohan used to be before she did drugs. I don't mean you have to find that attractive, I'm just curious how you'd describe that if not curvy.

• If that link is a pic of her before she took drugs, then I would say she was trim and had a flat tummy in that pic. In her 'after drugs' appearance in court she still looked good at perhaps 15 lbs heavier. I've seen girls who were maybe 25lbs overweight but somehow carried it very well but that's rare.

• Curvy has nothing to do with fat overweight chicks. Fat chicks should never be called curvy. Personally, Kim kardashian is an example of what I think of when I hear curvy, even tho I can't stand her face body and voice. Curvy is a thin girl with a bit of fat on her. I guess Scarlett johansson is a fine example. On the other hand, Megan fox I wouldn't call curvy. She is skinny/toned.

• Whenever I use it or hear it I think of hour glass personally. Technically someone with an hourglass figure would be more curvy then an over wieght person

• curvy means in shape with a touch of softness. not skinny and not fat, just perfectly in between.

• Curvy is hourglass shape. Not fat!

• Shape

What Girls Said 8

• Whoever uses the term 'hour glass' to describe someone as being 'heavier' does not know what the hour glass shape is, but I am glad to read that you do. Hour glass shape has never been considered heavier, but I do agree some people seem to think it is. An hour glass figure is having the small waist, and proportionate boobs and bum...

Kate winslet has often had the hour glass, to have the hour glass you do need some meat, but its been the loved body type because it is in the 'happy medium' perspective...and personally I still think it is the best shape. I am not into girls, but if I was I would rather have someone who was shapely, then had no shape at all.

• www.forever21.com/.../00117975-06.jpg
    Many men will say this woman is curvy and not fat. But curvy has no size (or else Candice swanpoel is rectangle shaped, lol). I do consider this woman fat, and that's not a bad things. I don't know where people got the idea that fat=bad. For many being called skinny is a compliment, but I can be a negative sometimes. Yet fat is always used as a negative and I don't know why. If you like women like this then you like overweight or fat women and it's okay just be proud of it and embrace it because nothing is wrong with it. I just think guys have a stigma around saying they like fat women.

• DeanWillis is correct! Curvy should never be described somebody that is fat, because those type of women donot workout at all to even get a figure, so how in the world would you call that curvy! I am 21.6 BMI not overweight at all just right and my measurements are 34B-32.5 or 33- 44 1/2 big booty that's because first of all, I workout and lift weights alot, so I am at a healthy body weight but than curvier than most fat women you will ever come across, because I am naturally curvy plus I workout with a healthy body weight and not fat but naturally muscle, now that's what you call a natural curvy woman!

If you find a woman who says she needs to get fat to be curvy, then that means she never was curvy to begin with, because you really donot have to be obese and about head to diabetes to be curvy, when you can be a healthy body weight for your BMI and gain muscle more than fat! And Guess what it look 110% better than women who are fat! You see? And I am not talking about steriod muscles, just regular women muscles without the steroids like it should be, and your butt will still wiggle and I can also move my butt muscles just by standing still! So if fat women call themselves curvy and other men tell them that as well, that's because first of all they don't know what curvy really means and they thinking all backwards and in denial, because you can't possibily call a fat person curvy when she is just FAT! Point blank and simple no curve in it, you may find a lot of rolls more than curves tho LOL! But fat is not curvy hun, its your body being at a healthy weight percentage while your measurements is curvy like a fat person, but you are not fat just healthy weight and curvy! That's what curvy really means!

• Oh another thing I always say this saying! If you have to hide your jelly rolls of fat in girdles and in body shapers and wearing butt shapers and stuff, then how in the world you can call yourself curvy when you are hiding yourself! Then you are not naturally curvy if you have to hide your rolls of fat in girdles and in body shapers think about it! You wouldn't have to hide anything if you naturally curvy already! That's because them women know they are not curvy and so does the men!

• Christina Hendricks and Sofia Vergara - best examples of what I picture when someone says 'curvy'.

:)

• Curvy: waist to hip ratio. ( hour-glass and pear shaped women).

Society seems to confusing curvy with being chubby.

• curvy is where a girls waist is smaller than her hips and breasts. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT!!! curvy is also known as hourglass but not the apple shape. like me my measurements are 36'' breasts, 29'' waist, and 40''hips. it doesn't have to be that big of a difference but they can't be 200 pounds, be Apple shape but still be considered curvy.

• Curvy is a nice way of saying fat. At least that's how people use the term. But really, you can be thin and have curves. It should refer to the shape of a woman's body, not her weight. Unfortunately it usually refers to being one big curve.

• to me curvy is a nice way to call someone fat