Why do people always assume the girl with a ton of make up is dumb?

seriously. I -wear- a- TON-of-make up. but I still look natural and get a lot of compliments about how I wear my make up. also I'm an honor roll student. yay? yay. but I don't understand why , some people just automatically assume I'm the party type or that I don't focus on school and am not a 'good' girl. doesn't make sense how people just jump to a certain conclusion about me. feel free to comment or answer my perplex open ended question. thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• People should not assume sh*t from the start. You don't know someone, don't make assumptions about him/her. Sad reality.

You know how immature it is when a female friend of mine labels every guy a 'creeper' that comes into contact with her on the dance floor? Sheesh.

What Guys Said 6

• WOW, That's a NEW ONE! When it LOOKS like a girl has a ton of makeup on, I think it can make her look unconfident, but dumb? WHY? If someone else can explain it, I'd really like to hear it...

• Despite the cliche, people do judge books by their cover. People are also quick to slot other people into stereotypes, I myself am guilty as charged of such a thing.

• I don't assume their dumb, I assume they're vain.

• I don't think it makes her look dumb. Childish, yes, dumb, no.

• I don't think she's dumb, just insecure.

• Because usually 'smart' or girls that are concentrated more on school work don't really worry about how they look. They don't have time for that.

What Girls Said 12

• Because she usually is, most of the time.

• That's called a stereotype. Same reason black people are all suppose to be super fast, or cheerleaders are all dumb bimbos. Our society is full of stereo types. Get used to it.

• I have to second what that anonymous girl said, I think you meant 'complex' rather than 'perplex'. Or perhaps you meant 'perplexing'? It's hard to say because it could be either way in that context.

But I can relate to the general sentiment of your question, lol. A lot of people tend to underestimate my intelligence, whether it be because of my style of dress, or how I wear my makeup [when I DO wear makeup]. The only makeup I really wear is concentrated around the eyes, and tends to be dramatic, with muted lips. Or a bold splash of color on the lips, with more subtle eyes. But my face isn't caked in makeup. Peoples' assumptions don't really hold up so well once they've actually spoken to me. I get a lot of looks of surprise or confusion after I open my mouth. =P It's basically like, don't treat me like I'm stupid, and I won't make you look stupid for doing so, haha.

• i think it might depend on the makeup. a lot of girls who wear a ton of makeup do it in a certain style that makes them look kind of like a cross between young and innocent, and older and slutty. so it kind of has the effect of saying "i'm naive and I make bad choices."

NOT saying this is you at all, only saying this might be why people stereotype made up girls. Like a girl with goth makeup on, people might think she's weird or creepy more than dumb.

• I think its because they associate the amount of effort and time being put into applying the makeup = vain and insecure.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look good. Whatever floats your boat.

• My question is if you put that much make up in the first place why should you bother what people will think or say anything about you? We girls are vain by nature.But have you ever tried not putting make up and going natural? since you dig the natural make up look you should go make up free.I mean is good for your skin and you won't have to powder you nose every now and then.I am sure you must be a pretty girl you won't need those things.Girls without make up are more endearing.Because they don't have to "lay it on thick".Try and see how it goes.

• Wow the question I usually am dealing with is "Why do so many guys think all the pretty girls are dumb?" I should ask that one... I'm not sure, personally I don't really like a lot of makeup because there's a point where instead of bringing out your features it covers up your beauty and makes you have a slight resemblance to a Barbie

• i know this sounds weird, but when I ever see a girl with tons of makeup I want to take a baby wipe and see what she really looks looks like lol...why the need for all the makeup? But I def do not assume they party all the time and are dumb.

• I think they look clowns and drag queens.

• Yeah... that's not how you use the word "perplex." It's a verb, as in "to perplex" (meaning to puzzle or confuse), not an adjective. Perhaps you were looking for the word "complex"? So clearly you aren't THAT smart. Being on the honor roll for good grades doesn't mean much, as you could be taking ridiculously easy classes.

Wipe off some of that makeup and try again.

• A. If your make up looked natural, no one would take you for "a girl who wears a lot of make up". Properly applied NATURAL looking make up usually goes undetected by men. I'm asked all the time "were you wearing make up" and "do you even have make up on" when I go for a more natural look.

B. The assumption is that... if you care too much about the outside, you're not as worried about the inside. As well, if you're putting that much effort on your outside, your outside is what you want people to notice. Or, that your outside must be all you have to offer.

C. Just for the record... just because someone is a "party type" doesn't mean they're stupid either. Not sure if you were implying that, but I just wanted to chime in because of the wording. :-)

Try not to take it too personally. People make the same assumptions about women with a lot of cleavage as well. It's not always because "past experiences have shown...", sometimes it's just wishful thinking lol. Or, that you can't be smart and pretty at the same time. The theory being that less attractive women are forced to developed personalities more than attractive women.

• Why do people always assume that I assume the girl with a ton of make up is dumb?

Gosh >.<

But in all seriousness, maybe you should lighten up on the make up.

Natural is beautiful and we're only going to have our youth for a short while before we actually are going to need make up to not look like crap.

And people group up too much make up with dumb chicks because most of the time they are. It's like dumber (party girls, boy crazy, or uneducated) chicks try to glob on make up to look good for others, while smarter ones either don't care or put on a bit to just enhance their beauty.

There are exceptions though and I'm not saying anything bad about you.