"I like girls with tattoos, but I won't marry a girl that has them."

I've seen this exact quote said around here a few times when I was looking up what guy thought of girls with tattoos. I myself have 7 tattoos, and almost a half sleeve, just a few more sessions. They like girls with tattoos, but they wouldn't marry a girl that has them. I know some people say they're trashy, but in no way am I trashy. Just because you see one trashy person with tons of tattoos, doesn't mean they're related.

Anyways, why do men say this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know why they say it. I guess its because they fear being judged by certain people. Or because of what dryad said. I personally would marry a woman who has tattoos. But they better not have a tattoo on their lower back.

What Guys Said 7

• Because they're stereotyping. It's true that everyone doesn't fit the stereotype but typically, tattoo-less guys won't want to marry a girl that is heavily tattoo'd. Maybe because of the contrast? Personality differences? Are tattoo'd guys saying they wouldn't marry a tattoo'd girl?

~Distant

• Two possibilities.

One is that they are indeed projecting that tattoo = wild girl for short term fun only. That's possible, but the exact quote you provide doesn't suggest that to me.

Instead I'd guess its more that your partner's appearance and style does reflect on you. You are confident enough to deal with the reactions that come from having tattoos. They may not be confident enough to deal with the reactions that come from having a heavily tattooed wife.

I'd suggest that part of that may be the social circles they move in. Most people move in multiple circles, and some women, and men, spend time in both circles where tattoos are fully accepted (and may personally like them) but also spend time in circles where tattoos are not well accepted. If you marry someone, you'd be bringing them into both.

• My only theory on this is the "bad girl" thing. Just like some girls go for bad guys, some guys go for bad girls. They want to take those girls home, but not home to meet mama. It's their way of flirting with danger, or at least thinking they are. They're usually the same guys who have nicknames like "Chip", hang out at the country club and think that Sid Vicious was the bad guy in a James Bond movie. I know tattoos don't automatically make you a bad girl, but some guys believe that anyway.

It wouldn't bother me, either way. I've been in serious relations with girls who did and didn't have tattoos. If I loved a girl enough to consider marrying her, what ink she did or didn't have on her body wouldn't even factor in, let alone be a deal breaker.

• My first serious girlfriend is a good example of this. When we got together she had pierced ears and no tattoos. By the time she left me, she had many tattoos including a massive back piece of the tree from The Little Prince which covered her entire back, two more piercings in each each, tattoos of pet rats, and a tongue stud. I loved her certainly, but I wouldn't have married her. I wouldn't have wanted to taken someone like that to make appearances at formal events of which there will be many more in my future. It has nothing to do with what I think about the tattoos - I honestly didn't care since the lights were usually off when she was bare skinned. But I didn't want to hear about it from the douch*bags of high society. I made my choice to be a part of it so I understand the consequences. My mother was certainly happy once that girl was out of the picture.

Anyway, she wasn't deprived of anything. She ended up fu*king everyone and breaking up with me, LOL.

• I don't mind girls with tattoos personally, I don't see them differently from a girl without. If anything I'll admire it if it's an amazing piece of art done to her, or done right. I will say I'm not fond of random homie tats, with a poorly done butterfly on a random spot, and a silly quote in cursive she'll regret later haha.

• Well, I always think that girls with tattoos are promiscuous but it doesn't mean I really like her tattoos. Personally, majority of tattoos look trashy and flashy no matter how expensive the tattoos are. I had several relationships with tattooed women but usually they wouldn't last for more than a few months. Besides emotional drama, I also got tired of looking at the same pictures on their bodies everyday. Now I am currently happy with non tattooed cutie and has been with her for more than a year.
    Do I want to marry a woman with tattoos? Definitely not because she has injected herself with toxic. If you go online, there are so many researchers that have stated about tattoo ink toxicity. The negative effects won't bite you now but those particles of tattoo inks may degrade your internal organs slowly.

• It's just a stereo-type. Ignore those ignorant guys.

What Girls Said 6

• It's really one of those things that depends on guys. I have a friend who has a full sleeve and a few tattoos elsewhere on her body. They look great, and she has been in this relationship with this guy for a few years. He doesn't seem to mind them. So it's basically just a thing where you have to find someone who can accept them. Nothing wrong with tatts, guys who don't like a girl with tatts are just ignorant.

Tattoos say nothing about someone's sexual life or whether they are trashy or smoke or drink heavily or anything. A lot of people have tatts, so I would think that its becoming more accepted. If you are concerned, bring it up when you first meet a guy. Ask him what he thinks about them. If he runs when he finds out you have tatts, well you dodged a bullet there. No need to waste your time on those ignorant jerks :) Find a guy who will appreciate you for who you are :D

Btw, I am not saying this because I have tatts, I am tatt free, but I do think they look awesome!

• Actually you're ignorant, just because a guy doesn't want to date a girl with tats does not make him ignorant. That's like saying a guy doesn't like girls with facial piercings, or doesn't date a girl because she is black or a certain race. It's called preference, and last time I checked people have the right to have preference. Not everyone is attracted to tattoos, maybe they want someone more unique, like a women without them... My husband and I refuse to tattoos, because everyone our age seem to follow the crowd, now not getting a tattoo is actually making a statement. We have self control!

• Good for you I guess. I don't see not getting a tattoo as self control. I see it as simply not wanting one so not getting one. Having self control would be to want one and not get it for whatever reason.

My answer was geared more to a guy who is being ignorant. Not someone who simply has a preference. I was referring to the people who stereotype those with tattoos. I understand people have preferences. However, hopefully people would be a little open minded and not completely judge a person based on one thing alone.

• guys say a lot of sh*t like this, but then they turn around and marry some girl with lots of tats. don't worry about it, and don't take it too seriously.

• Well. I know my friend and I classify girls he is interested in into two groups: Girls he would date and have sex with, and girls he would some day want to marry. Although he loves both sets of girls, he loves them in different ways. So maybe some guys would be extremely turned on by tattoos, but when it comes to settling down, they want a girl without tattoos. I know my friend wants to marry a smart girl who went to college, yet is more attracted to 'bad girls'. Some guy will want to marry you, every guy likes their own thing.

• Those are usually the guy that say they will have sex with promiscuous girls but only marry a virgin - they have double standards that just don't make sense.

However, I've never encountered this in real life - it's only on GAG. I am moderately tattooed - I have my entire back done and additional ones on my torso and stomach. Realistically I will get more. It's only the small minded people who assume you're trashy, promiscuous or that you have no prospects. In reality I have completed my law degree, am in a happy relationship (with someone who loves the art on my skin) and present myself well. My male mates love women with tasteful ink (and not just for a one nighter).

In short, ignore the guys that say stuff like that. It doesn't represent the majority of the population - ESPECIALLY not the ones you'd want to be with.

• This is precisely one of the reasons why the tattoos I have are both able to be completely covered up--I love my tattoos but I don't want to deal with the idea of people judging me for them, either in a professional or formal situation. Most people don't even know I have them because I don't "look" the type.

• I get that too. Most people do not think I would ever drink or go to the bar. then when they find out they get so surprised. I have tats and they get shocked when they see it because to them I do not see the type to do that. All it is is stereotypes.

• Tattoos tend to go hand-in-hand with smoking and/or whoring (things some guys don't like in girls).

• Well I don't smoke anything and I'm certainly not a whore. Yet I have almost a complete half sleeve and 7 other tattoos.

• Well I'm just pointing out the stero-type, since as you probably know lots of p*rn stars have tattoos, most of which I hear smoke. It just gives off that vibe, sort of like baggy shorts gives off the impression one is in a gang or trying to look like he's in one.

• Haha yeah I know what you mean.