Why is Jesus portrayed as a white man? Racist?

Because he wasn't! Christianity states that all of god's creations are equal YET the church portrays (still to this day) Jesus as being a white man with brown hair?!?!

Jesus was Jewish, he wouldn't have looked like a typical 'Mr.Smith with a beard and long hair', he would have been darker in tone, proberbly black hair, dark eyes etc... so why does the church change his appearance? So white people will find Christianity easier to accept!?!? Is this not further proof that Christianity was a false religion?

It's common knowledge that the Christianity was the work of the Romans.

Could I go as far as to say (if I dare?!?!) that Christianity was created to unify Rome and it's empire under 1 common faith and that Jesus was simply a man who was used to create and then 'sell' that faith?

Most Helpful Guy

• From his ethnicity (middle east), it is no secret that he was fairly skinned.

Peace, Love -N- Respect;

from Muslim brother (who believes in equality among mankind)

What Girls Said 6

• Well, I don't know about all churches saying he's 'white'. I don't even think that whole thing about them changing Jesus' face to make everyone relate better holds true to every church ( but really, what thing is always definite anymore? ), mainly because when I went to a Catholic school, I noticed the pictures they had in the religion class had a 'black' Jesus, with darker skin and darker features, much like you've stated already.

Frankly, I think Jesus looks like a black guy with 'Asian' eyes, blond hair and always wears Spanish/Mexican/[ any other race I haven't included ] styled clothing.

.. Jk, he'd look weird. I think.

Anyway, 'white' people are the largest population, and, from what I've been told, white skin was always put above darker skin. Wouldn't it make more sense for Jesus to have 'white' skin? I mean, it'd be easier for people to listen to him. Like, waaaay easier for people to listen to him. Basically, I guess I'm saying what Abho said. But, I actually believe in the 'fairy tales' ( lol ). :3

• Oh my goodness, chill out! Jesus never had a real picture taken of himself so every painting that we see of him is some artists view of him, not our view as a whole! White skin was generally seen as 'pure' or 'holy' so a lot of artists would probably paint Jesus as more fair just to make him appear that way. (Not that that belief is true- people with dark skin can be holy too! Lol it was just for interpretation) I'm a white girl and personally when I think of Jesus, I think of a typical Israeli/Jew with dark hair and eyes and not dark, but mid-lighter olive skin. I think of him with warm, understanding eyes and the garb of a plain man (: I think he was beautiful. Plus, Jesus is such a personal being. I've seen him depicted in black churches as black, Asian in Asian churches and more Caucasian in white churches. Somehow it makes him easier to relate to, but no less real.

• Because when caucasians became christian mainly in the roman empire people were racist and changed Jesus to a white man to promote propaganda. You answered your own question

• Well think of it this way: who printed the bible?

• Yes, it is further proof. Thanks, I hadn't thought of it like that before.

• there isn't a right or wrong way to think about this. he's any color you like. I have white friends who thinks he's white and black friends who think of him as black. it works either way

What Guys Said 5

• Christians in Asia often portray Jesus with Asian facial features. It is just how people think. Without getting to involved into a historical debate (which I would win anyway) I have to say that just because we don't know what someone looked like thousands of years ago, doesn't mean they didn't exist. In fact, to imply such a thing nothing short of absurd.

• Because people depict people the way they want them to look or according to their own culture. And since most of the famous art of Jesus is done by guys like Michelangelo, who was Italian, that's just the way it's continued to be interpreted. A religion didn't just spring up around the guy as soon as he died, nobody who painted Jesus lived at the same time as him.

• Jesus was a Jew. I don't know many Hebrews with darker skin tones.

• Every picture of Adam and Eve I see, has them having belly buttons. How does that work?

• That's why some sects around the world don't depict Jesus' face when in a drawing him, just the body and an empty head.