Hair changing color?

When I was younger (like 8 and under) I used to have blond hair. Not dirty blond but fully blond. As I grew up my hair naturally turned brown and now its completely brown. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else. I always thought it was weird and maybe it was due to the lack of sun coming from from further north because my hair color always seems lighter in the summer.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's natural for the hair to turn a darker shade as we get older. A hairdresser told me that there's no such thing as a "natural blonde" at the age of 40 because hair would have at least turned to a shade of very light brown.

This doesn't include (summer) highlights, which naturally appear after we spend time on the beach, hiking, etc. People who are out doors a great deal throughout the year tend to retain their highlights.

Friend of mine has twins who say her hair has "sparkles" in it -- that's the new little white hairs. Pesky little suckers. Anyway, that's the only natural "blonde" you'll see in a person in their 40s.

Apparently anyone in their 30s/40s who is "blonde" is having their hair touched up regularly.

What Girls Said 8

• The exact same thing happened to me. I was a very blonde-haired, blue-eyed little girl. But somewhere along the lines I ended up with light golden brown hair and green eyes, haha.

• Thats happenned to me, but not with such a drastic change :) I started off with really light brown hair, then when I was about 8 or 9 it turned really dark brown :D

• No... that happened to me too! :/

while sun does make the hair lighter, there is no way that my hair changed that much because of sinlinght lol.

• Nope. I was born with jet black hair, and by the time I was turning 1 it was blond. Then again, by about the age of four, it turned brunette. All natural.

• That is normal for some people my son goes from blond to darker blond depending on his sun sun exposure but we live in Florida so it may be different for you.

• my man was blond and now he's light brown. my cousin was blond and now she has dark brown. my dad had redish blond and now his hair is black lol

i think most peoples hair does that

• it changes because the melanin pigment in your hair ...

• i had black hair as a kid and now my hair is redish brown

What Guys Said 2

• Same thing happened to me, but at a younger age (around 3or4). I was born with bleach blond hair and it naturally, over time, started turning brown, as I aged. I've also noticed that when I get a lot of sunlight it makes my hair "shine" into a dirty blond type color but in the winter months when I'm usually inside all the time, it becomes dark brown. I'd assume it has something to do with vitamin D and the fact that our hair is not living tissue so melanin can not protect it, like it does with our skin (becomes darker)

• This is a very very common occurrence.