I don't know how to take care of my mixed hair (leans on the ethnic side). Help!

I need some serious help with my hair. I have wavy/somewhat curly hair its very coarse, pretty thick for every one 1 hair a regular person has I have 2-4 hairs, and its fluffy. There's something similar about it and the wool on a sheep. I am a Caucasian girl but the hair dresser says my hair is more than 50% ethnic. I buy a really good conditioner/shampoo I have even tried African hair care products and it works pretty well for me its actually not too heavy and my hair really absorbs the moisture. Relaxers, straighteners and perms (you know not the curly kind the straight kind) do not work even African ones are not strong enough to keep my hair strait more than 3 days so its going to be wavy. I haven't straitened it in a while several years, I do dye it with a very gentle natural product but hair dye fades super fast on me and I can't afford to keep it up I need so much at once). I only need to wash my hair once weekly because it doesn't produce much oil at all I can sometimes go longer depends on activity level and weather. I end up with well an afro if I get in the pool, its disastrous. It is healthy I have been told but it just does not look healthy to me maybe because I live in Sweden and so many girls have the ultra silky strait blond hair and that doesn't look at all like my hair. My hair doesn't separate right and I can tie it almost like dreads, it will dread probably so I have considered that but I am not sure how to take care of them. What are some great deep conditioning methods for my hair? How should I take care of it? My mom never taught me any tricks and she just tells me my hair looks terrible and asks me what I have done to it. Any quick way to improve the way its looks? Things I should do daily? I am really bad with hair so be detailed. I am broke so try and think of Ayurvedic things where I can use stuff around the house to make hair care products.

Update: When I got my hair straightened the last time it was thinned out a lot and cut short. I had it professionally straightened and it lasted 3 days, which is a record so that's something but it shocked even the stylist. I have straightened it in small section with a flat iron and kept my hands out the problem is I do that when going out and when you go out there are other people, people equal bodies, which equals humid and it curls right up. I'd like to work with my wavy hair please.
Update: My hair is sensitive to damage especially by heat but the various stylist I have had always say its really strong so I wouldn't say brittle. Not all hair has the same texture I'd like to make mine as healthy as possible not further damage it with harsh chemical treatments. Thinning does damage hair so I avoid it now. I am quite lucky in one respect split ends are not a problem for me. I have tried fighting nature now I want to go with it but make it healthy! Deep conditioning methods?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it sounds to me like you need a good hairdresser. You need to get it cut, and probably thinned out. Try a shorter hairstyle (shoulder-length or shorter). Get it professionally/chemically straightened. Without all that bulk, the relaxer should hold up. Truth is, it's going to take some money to get your hair in the condition you want it. And by all means, DO NOT use a bristle brush on your hair! With as thick and brittle as your hair is, it will only damage and break your hair. Just because it's thicker does not mean it's invincible against damage, it's exactly the opposite. Get a flat iron and straighten very small sections at a time (about a quarter to a half of an inch in thickness) and work your way from bottom to top. Get Vitamin E supplements in pill form...(you know, the ones with the liquid in the middle), break them apart and put them directly in your shampoo and conditioner (use half the bottle of supplements for the conditioner and the other half for the shampoo). A smoothing/shine serum and some spray leave in conditioner will help too - KEEP IT IN YOUR PURSE for touch-ups on frizzies thoughout the day. Try not to touch your hair a lot (unless you have to), your hair will look like Einstein's. Try anti-humidity products and wash your hair in cool water instead of warm/hot. Cool water constricts the hair follicle and hot expands them! Sleep on a satin pillowcase instead of a cotton one, as cotton is extremely absorbent and will just suck all the moisture out of your hair. I don't know what products are available to you in Sweden, but I will give you some links to your inbox for some products that are availible here in the U.S., and then you can try and find something similar. Get a deep conditioning mask for your hair. Apply it every other day to your hair, wrap your head in plastic for about 2 hours and rinse with a 50/50 mixture of shampoo and conditioner. Hope these tips will work for you!

• Thanks =) I added updates. I will try the satin pillow for sure, the vitamin E (if I can afford it). I will try to find a leave in, I can't really afford those silk drops they are outrageous here in cost can I make something like it? I have seen some of the products here I so wish I could afford the Oribe one to try lol

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• Why don't you try and make the most of your wavy hair,...personally, I think wavy/curly hair is sexy! I have naturally straight hair, and I would kill for natural curl like your hair has. If straightening/thinning causes damage, then try moisturizing/humidity defying and curl defining products? (herbal essences is pretty affordable and has great moisturizing and curl care products) It sounds to me like you are trying way too hard to have straight hair. I know that just about every girl out there is going straight, but, on the other hand, It kinda makes me sick to see every girl trying to look the same. You are trying to strip your hair of it's natural want/need to be exactly what it is,...curly. If you want my opinion, work WITH it, not against it. Truth is, the shine serum has a liquid silicone base, and there is nothing in your kitchen that can replicate it's properties. However, the only thing that will come even slightly close to that of shine serum is olive oil. Mix some with your conditioner/shampoo (always shake before use) and maybe even do a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle of water and olive oil. (again, shake well before use, and between sprays) Also, I still recommend getting your hair thinned out (NOT with a straight razor, but with scissors, as I already know how much damage a straight razor can cause.) Tell your hairdresser that you need a cut that will compliment and make your curl more manageable, as well as appropriate for your age, style and face shape. Layers take out a lot of bulk and weight. Please try the olive oil mixtures, the satin pillow, and also try (after showering and while hair is still damp) pulling your hair back, loosely, in a low bun at the base of your neck, before you go to sleep. If you have frizzies, this will help for your hair to dry in a more tamed manner. Take it out in the morning and lightly comb out with your fingers. Please hear me when I say, you DEFINITELY NEED, a good hairdresser, a good haircut, tons of moisture (do not mistake water for moisture, the two are NOT the same), anti-humidity products and the willlingness to realize,..."You can't always get what you want". If you want straight hair, that might never happen. I hate to burst your bubble, but your hair sounds like a stubborn pain in the a**! LOL! LIke I said, embrace your curly hair,...if you hate it that much, experiment with how to style it, experiment with different haircuts until you find something you DO like about it. Feel blessed that you don't have to stand in front of the mirror for FOUR hours to get perfect spiral curls like I do! I'll be sending more links your way of hairstyle ideas,...again, don't hesitate to message me back.

• link

link

link

link

link

Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any other questions!

• WOW ! just be happy for who you are ! I love afro big hair. *HONEST*...anyways good product tip is using Panteen shampoo and conditioner, it helps the hair silkier and smooths it. I've got small puffy wavy hair and it has help make it silk. I sometimes straight my hair though but refer to leave it curly/wavy natural. Just be happy. I would love to have huge hair.

• Well I am glad its thick I just wish it was more manageable. That part is great. Thanks I will try Panteen when I run out of what I am using.

• U say like like its a bad thing but maybe you didn't leave the relaxer on long enough and do it in sections..its better to keep your natural texture

Naturallycurly.com