Guys, why are ties so expensive?

I'm still baffled by how *expensive* a tiny piece of cloth is. Can any guys explain to me why they're so pricey?

Also, if you live in a major metropolitan area, you've probably seen at least one vendor selling $5 ties (or 4 euros, etc.). Why don't more people buy ties from them? Is there a difference in quality?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hahaha. Yeah, I noticed that, no idea. I always buy cheaper ties, I used to wear a lot of ties and I've never had a lot of money, so it sort of happens that way, haha. You can get good ones at the cheaper end, I've only ever seen real stiff-shirts getting the dearer stuff.

A lot of places really overcharge for 'gentlemen's' clothing, just because their clients tend to be more wealthy, and often of the persuasion the dearer the better. And all power to them! But it doesn't benefit cats like me, like, real city slickers. Hahaha.

Although I always find them cheap. We had very loose uniform restrictions in school - just a black blazer, black trousers and a white or grey shirt, plus the school tie and badge. So everyone went and got 'School Uniforms', which are ridiculously overpriced and look terrible, and that's just because there's always a market for them. But I didn't, the last couple years. I went out and got a proper italian suit, real cheap like, and it was stylish as hell. Four button cuffs and four button blazers, long tailcoats, everything. I could have had three for the price everyone else was paying, and they hated theirs. I was in love with mine, haha. Great times.

• Haha, I just left a similar comment below about overpriced make-up. I guess it happens to both genders, lol. Good to know that I can get cheaper ties that look fine.

• Haha, makeup is well overpriced. You need to take like, half your f***ing salary to town, to buy any.

What Guys Said 8

• well the nice ones are made of silk, you can't get that for 5 anywhere. people don't buy the other ones cause they are less tasteful. but the same could be said for your make-up and shoes and jeans etc

• Hmm... I never thought about it like that before, especially about the make-up. A lot of companies jack up make-up prices just because they can, I suppose, or because it has the name "dior" or "chanel" in it. :/

• I agree but only time I bought a tie was for prom and my mothers wedding. Ties at cheaper places are usually bad looking and not good quality (at least the ones I looked at) I ended up buying the tie I wore to prom from macys and I believe it cost $40

• ties are very well made...that's why they aren't cheap. They have to be able to support a mans weight when he hangs himself.

• If you think ties are expensive, try a tie-bar. For a small piece of steel it can cost as much as $50 in department stores.

• It depends the material and of course the brand

I'm guEssing te same things goes for Womens bra and panties? And makeup and makeup brushes?

• My tie was about 10 bucks. I think it's because when someone sees you, the first think that pops out in your clothing is the tie, so it has to look good.

On that note, why are women's bras so expensive?

• Glad to see not everyone pays a lot for ties! And I agree that an unflattering tie does nothing for a guy's appearance.

To your question - a lot of engineering goes into making a bra so that it will correctly support/distribute the weight of the breasts while hanging nicely. The majority of bras have metal underwire (for support), which brings the price up, too.

• link

i get all my skinny ties from here. great quality at a fair price.

• Thanks for the link! I'll check them out.

• I have the same question about panties. $15-$30 for an ounce of cloth?

What Girls Said 1

• Same reason why bikinis are expensive even those it's just a tiny scrap of fabric