Why are lower back tattoos called "tramp stamps"?

I find it funny that they're called this when so many regular girls have them.

My mom has one. It's a flower that uses my dad's name to make the petals and two leaves, one made from my name and one made from my sister's name. She got it a few years ago, after she'd been married and had kids for awhile.

My aunts and some of my friend's mothers also have them, and almost all of them are references to their children.

My Irish friend has a Celtic knot on her lower back, which she got before moving to America, and my Catholic friend has a really detailed cross.

The only time I've ever seen a lower back tattoo and thought it was bad was when I saw a girl who had her own name tattooed on her lower back in this font: link (same color and she had included drawn on sparkles). My first thought was "Is that so he knows what name to call out when he finishes?"

Other than something that insane, I don't see why they're called tramp stamps.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because girls who have them are usually sluts.

• Yeah, my 40 year old mom and mother of two is TOTALLY a slut. <--sarcasm

• Are you thinking about doing one?

• If I do get one it probably wouldn't be on my lower back. I was just curious, since I know a handful of girls who have them, none of which fall under the category of tramp.

What Guys Said 5

• Because it's a decoration that gets people to look at your ass, hence being seen as "HEY LOOK AT ME AND LOOK AT MY ASS" tatoos. Those are for tramps.

• May have something to do with the fact they're VERY common AND a lot of girls who have them wear short tops which show thier 'stamps' and do it to attract attention (tramp?)

Just seems logical wouldn't you think?

• Because they stap you as a tramp in many people's minds. Mine among them!

• Eh I find 'em sexy... let the haters hate.

• Because all the p*rnstars have them.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't get how one part of your body is considered "slutty" when getting a tattoo-- I don't even think the lower back is THAT sexual. Tattoos near the hips are way more sexual, but people never complain about those or give them prejudiced names. I have a LOWER BACK TATTOO, and freaking' proud of it.

• Do you mind if I ask what it is? Every time I meet someone with a tattoo I like to ask about it.

• It's just a really tall, symmetrical (and somewhat Victorian looking) design. It hardly looks like the typical lower back tattoo. I love it.

• i have no idea. I personally think it's a cute place for a tattoo