Why do SOME Americans insist that their sh*tty perspective on the middle east is true?

They stereotype the entire REGION as having the same views as one man(Osama bin Laden) for pete's sake one guy CANNOT speak for the whole population in a region!

Updates:
*I know this is "girlsaskguys.com" but hey this category is stated other...

0|0
2|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Who do you see on TV?

Do you perhaps see the open minded people that base their opinions on facts or people who take a side depending on what the others have said?

Now over to the middle east, who do you see on TV?

Their politics or the few hundred waving guns and burning flags left and right?

People base their opinions on what they see and since media only shows what they know will sell we only see the darker side of every country.

All countries are media controlled, TV shows what they know will get most rating and if they can get people angry at each other they will get friends to see what they just saw, and so on.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Most people are unable to come up with their own opinion on a matter and stand their ground when it comes to said opinion. Many people are "bandwagoners" and will change their own views just to fit in or not be persecuted because of their opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe that it is grossly exaggerated, but there was Osama, Alqaeda other terrorist groups, angry protestors and laws and put in place which seem discriminatory for them

How can people have an opinion if this is all there shown

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree. Furthermore, you have no idea how disconnected and misunderstood/misinformed/uneducated we are about Middle Easter/Islamic culture.

1|0
    0|0
  • because "some" of every population are stupid bigots that can't think for themselves...

0|2
    0|0
  • its caused brain washing...

0|1
    0|0
  • You have to consider how different our media coverage is here. The government hypes up this "OMG MIDDLE EAST IS FILLED WITH TERRORISTS" propaganda to gain support for the war. All we ever hear about on the news is how the Middle East is evil and wants to kill all of us, hence the misconceptions.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Some people just don't care about knowing the actual truth and prefer to live in their own little world of ignorance.

0|1
    0|0
    • There's also a cognitive problem we all experience called the "availability heurtistic," in which we make judgments based on what we can remember, rather than complete information. When most of the examples of Middle Easterners we are exposed to are terrorists, it can create cognitive bias and make us think they must ALL be terrorists.

link

• heuristic* damn it.

• because some Americans are dipsh*ts.

1|1
    0|0
    • Change some to most, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

• because most Americans are dipsh*ts.