Is it safe to get a straight perm with dyed hair?

I dyed my hair a couple weeks ago. I want to get a straight perm, and I can't find it anywhere online, where it says the effects of doing that.

If I get a straight perm, will it damage my hair more? Or is it now safe to straight perm my hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• It will damage your hair more. All chemical processes and heat treatments damage hair. You may not be able to find information online because I don't think anyone calls it a straight perm. Try searching "Japanese straightening" that's what most of them are. There are different chemicals that can be used to achieve the same thing. One chemical is used on "virgin" hair and another is used on treated hair (as would be your case). Any reputable salon would have both and would be able to tell you if your hair is too damaged for the treatment. If you get the wrong version of the treatment, worst case scenario, your hair can be so damaged that it breaks off.

I have done Japanese straightening many times. I have never dyed my hair and then gotten it straightened but I have it dyed (bleached) it after getting it straightened and it is fine. There is also the Brazilian blow out which is not permanent and does not make your hair as severely straight as the Japanese. However the Brazilian chemicals have been criticized and some salons have stopped doing the treatment because the solution contains formaldehyde.

Most salons will do a free or cheap consult with you about the straightening and you can get answers directly from them and they can asses your hair. Do not look for the cheapest place or best deal with this.

What Guys Said 1

• Do people still get perms? I thought that was a fad like bellbottom pants and disco.

What Girls Said 5

• As far as I know, it will break your hair.

I had a friend who dyed her hair and didn't know she should tell the person who was doing the straight perm, and her hair got super fried and would break, and she basically had to grow it out.

If your hair is dyed and you want it straight, your best bet is to use plenty of heat protectant products and a straightening iron.

• If you pern your hair and want to dye it then just get a dye where it says can dye after perming and you won't have to worry about how safe it is or if your hair is going to be on your pillow the next morning. That's what I do.

• I did that and it looked pretty BUT it damaged my hair pretty badly. I never had split ends in my life before that. I also had tiny pieces of my hair break off daily. It's better now that the straight perm has worn off but I have to say it really did a number on my hair. I ended up cutting several inches off just to get it healthy again. Be careful please =)

• I wouldn't do it if my hair was already damaged

• I think so...Its too many chemicals. Try to use less chemical as possible. You don't want to be 50 and have bald spots...lol