Is attraction really based on physical appearance?

I used to think it was but that was really just for celebrity crushes, I was simply appreciating their looks.

i've been talking to a couple of guys and I've realized that I like them because of their personality and not by what they look like.

i mean they aren't the ugliest guys in the world but they aren't that good looking either.

what are your thoughts on this. care to give an example?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Although physical appearance may draw a person to another, I don't think that it's what makes someone like the other at all. I think that it's the personality that makes someone like or even fall in love with someone else. Physical appearance doesn't really say anything about someone; what's important is on the inside. You can't see what and who a person is by simply looking at their body, it's more by looking into their eyes and getting to know them. If you like what you find out then, that's when the true attraction begins.

What Guys Said 5

• When people are shallow, ya. When people are not, no. Depends on the person. The only looks that might draw my attraction are if they seem so upbeat and positive and energetic. That's through their manners, not their actual physical appearance by the way. But whatever. People will like who they like. We can advise people to mature, but it's in themselves where they'll ultimately have to grow.

• sexual attraction?

i would say girls are attracted to alpha males,

but for guys its stricky physical

• It's looks and personality. Looks are what attracts initially though. If I divided the two I would say 60% personality 40% looks.

• Initial attraction is physical

Personality keeps me around

• Looks draws people in and their personality keeps them there.

What Girls Said 5

• No. Initially attraction can be based on looks but once you find out more about them and their personality sucks then it can turn you off. However, if the physical attraction isn't that strong but you find out they have a great personality it can draw you into appreciating some of their physical features, i.e. He is OK looking but has a great smile when he tells a joke or his eyes seem to sparkle when he offers to carry your bag, or he gets a new haircut that really suits him and makes you see him in a different light knowing he also has this great personality.

• I'd say 50/50 because I knew this one attractive guy who had no problems getting girls but was a jacka-s which made him unattractive to me when I got to know him. lol funny isn't it? All you have to do is get to know someone to be turned off :P

Your eye will go to an attractive person but if you get to know them and they're an a-hole all your attraction for them disappears.

• In my case no. It doesn't matter to me what you look like as long as you are a decent person. But my best friend is all about attraction.

• So you could like link that guy if his personality was the best you've ever known?

• Wow that's amazing. Not saying that guy doesn't deserve anyone because of what I think of his looks, just surprised they can be over looked.

• I guess its just me. I don't value looks in people.

• Yes and no. For example One of my classes is filled with guys, of course my first instinct is to single out the hot ones and focus there. After a while you figure out their personalities. This one guy who wasn't on my radar at first, acted confident and talking to everyone, smiling, and joking, which makes him instantly more attractive and peaks my interest over the hotter more docile guys. So physical attraction is important, but their personalities can instantly shade their faults and make them shine in company ;]

• Neither yes or no. attraction has no rules. You become attracted to someone and you may not even believe you are. He may not be the one you're looking for either.