Do guys really care how a girl dresses or how much work she puts into her look?

I'm talking about the average guy who buys normal clothes and is neat and clean but not into all the latest trends and everything. I wonder this because I have a friend who is fairly attractive. She doesn't have the best figure, kind of looks like she's 4 months preggers sometimes and she's pretty tall. She never does her hair. It just stays kinda messy. She wears jeans a lot of thrift store stuff etc. I think she looks really sloppy 85% of the time, but guys still look at her, like check her out I guess. I notice it. No one asks her out though, they just look for a little while.

It makes me wonder, because I thought a guy wouldn't be real interested in a girl if she looks like she doesn't take care of herself. Before her fam got rid of their ferrets her clothes would stink sometimes too. I don't get it. Makes me feel like I put too much work into looking cute. I have heard that girls dress for other girls. Truth?

Most Helpful Guy

• girls DO dress for other girls. part of that competition thing BUT, what they don't realize is that theyre getting male attention at the exact same time. regardless of what theyre wearing. even lesbians will get male attention, how the hell would we know if your les. or not without actually seeing you make out with another girl

however, it sounds like your friend is just comfortable in her own skin, its not to say you're not, but I think girls who dress like that are probably OK with it and exude confidence just as much as the ones who dress a little more "up".

i personally don't care how you dress, its up to you, ill like you for you, as cliche as it sounds

• LMFAO, she is the most self conscious self hating person I know. She just doesn't want to try and I'm pretty sure she's in the closet. She runs away from people who talk to her. She does anything but "exude confidence" so it's not that. Lol

• LMAO I guess everyone in the world is upset about being smelly. XD!

• if I stink and I don't know it. I could feel bad about not knowing I do. that's where friends come into play. and obviously you're not a good friend to her. bitch

What Guys Said 4

• I care whether or not a girl cares about her appearance. I don't care whether a girl's clothes match perfectly, if she's wearing three layers of makeup, if her toenails match her belt, or any of the other insane bullsh*t girls think guys care about.

• I personally wouldn't go for or even look at a girl that doesn't look after herself.

She would have to be amazing looking without makeup and sh*t clothes etc for me to glance.

• probably guys are staring for the other reason. lol

• Yes. This is being with me. I want her to look her best.

What Girls Said 3

• Well a female should always have good hygiene no matter what. And the fact that she used to shop at thrift stores, maybe she doesn't have the money at the moment to buy expensive clothes, so you can't blame her for shopping at a thrift store. And maybe guys aren't just looking at the clothes that she wears, maybe its because she has a pretty face, and she different from all the other females that walk out the house with just anything on just to get some type of attention. And if she likes to wear the clothes that she wears, then maybe that's just her style, she has her own swag. And that's definitely something that attracts guys is when you have your own unique style.

• I did tell you she's my friend right? She shops at thrift stores because she's frugal. She doesn't have style, says it, and tries to get help.

• well hey I just say let her wear whatever she wanna wear, just don't walk out the house looking like a junkie lol

• I don't stop her from wearing what she wants to wear...

• different guys want different things. I try to look good before I go out the door and that just saves me the worry I didn't try hard enough.

• Well they definitly don't like any sloppy, just someone who looks like she puts even minimal effort into making herself look nice.