When and why did you wear makeup first?

Hi girls,

the daughter of a friend wants to wear makeup. That is why I have a few questions to you:

1. When did you start to wear makeup?

2. Why did you do so? (because of other girls, feeling more grown-up, teasing boys, ...)

3. In which situation did you do so? (at home, at school, at parties, ...)

4. Were you allowed to go rouged in public? If not, when did your parents had allowed it?

5. Why and when do you wear makeup nowadays? (If you do so.)

Thanks in advance!

(I have not found this question before, but if I had missed it, please sent me a link.)

Most Helpful Girl

• I started in the 5th grade, initially it was sort of experimental I guess, for dances, weekends, dinners etc. At that age I wore makeup for fun and to feel like I was all grown up. By 7th grade I wore it to school everyday. My family has been in the cosmetics and skin care business for a long time so they never restricted when/where I could wear makeup. They did however provide me with instruction, they helped me get quality products in colors that complemented my natural coloration. They told me when I did my makeup well, when I could improve and if I looked like a street walker (those are my words, not theirs, they were very tactful in telling me I made myself up to look like a prostitute).

Now I wear it because I am not a confident person. I try and wear it whenever I leave the house but if I don't have time it doesn't ruin my day.

I had a friend in middle school who would ask us to bring our makeup to school. Her parents had a no makeup rule so she would put it on when she got to school and wash her face before going home.

What Girls Said 24

• 1. When did you start to wear makeup?

Lip gloss in middle school, and then eyeliner and mascara in high school.

2. Why did you do so?

I wanted to feel pretty.

3. In which situation did you do so?

School and parties

My parents didn't mind.

5. Why and when do you wear makeup nowadays?

I wear it when I have time to put it on, and I only do it because it makes me more confident :) I don't wear foundation, just concealer, blush, and eye stuff.

• Well I started wearing makeup in stages lol I started with lip gloss in 8th grade, eye shadow in 10th, mascara and concealer in 11th, foundation and blush in 12th, and eyeliner as a freshman in college. It was because I was insecure and I wanted to be/feel prettier. I would only wear it to school,parties, and dances until I started wearing it out with family when I was 17. My parents hated when I wore makeup. I'm 19 and my mom finally just recently gave up on telling me I don't need it every time I put it on. I really don't wear a lot now. I wear concealer under my eyes for my dark circles almost everyday. Sometimes I wear blush and/or mascara and/or lip gloss too. I only wear it to class, parties, family stuff sometimes, performances, and occasionally just hanging out on weekends. I probably spend about 4-5 days a week with makeup on. Except during the summer where I wear it like once a week. :)

• 1) I started wearing makeup when I was 12.

2) I guess I started wearing it because I was curious and wanted to experiment, also to feel more grown up because that's how people are in middle school.

3) At first I just wore it at home because that's when I wanted to but my parents always let me wear it to school.

4) The one exception was a black eyeliner I bought thinking it was a dark brown. They wouldn't let me wear it so I would hide it in my backpack and put some on at school, washing it off before I got picked up.

5) I still like to wear makeup now. The face makeup like foundation I do to keep up with other girls and make my face look good for eye makeup and such. I love doing eye makeup like art, there's always something new and fun to learn to do. Hope this helps!

• 1. When did you start to wear makeup? When I was 11.

2. Why did you do so? Because I thought I was getting to the age that looks started to matter (I was going into middle school.)

3. In which situation did you do so? Everywhere but it was mostly a school thing.

4. Were you allowed to go rouged in public? If not, when did your parents had allowed it? Yes but I only wore a little mascara and some lip gloss.

5. Why and when do you wear makeup nowadays? (If you do so.) I wear makeup now (being 17 years old) because I think it enhances my looks and in high school it's basically expected to wear makeup. It just looks more put together and professional (as long as you do it right. ) And according to my grandma people treat you better.

• 1. 12-13- concealer 15-eyeliner and mascara

2. cause I got sunburned and it left a scar on my nose,so I wore concealer (now it's gone thank god) eyeliner and mascara I started wearing just for fun

3. at school and for parties

4.well I've never used lipstick or something too obvious,so they didn't mind,and no one would even notice that I had anything on

5. still the same,i wear concealer (only on spots,i don't cover my entire face) and I wear eyeliner and mascara but sometimes I just go with concealer

• 1. I started wearing eyeliner at 15

2. I started because I saw one of my older cousins putting it on and I wanted to try it out as well. also, most of my friends had already started wearing it.

3. I wore the eyeliner on a daily basis, home, school, outside, etc.

4. rouged? like blush? when I was still in hs I didn't wear blush. but if you mean make up in general, my parents weren't against it really. my mom did say that she didn't like me to be too concerned with the way I looked, but she didn't forbid it.

5. I wear it everyday. eyeliner and sometimes something on the lips.

• Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I mean make up in general with "rouged". Sorry, I'm no native speaker. How is it called right?

• Thank you!

• no problem :)

• 1. 4th grade so about 9-10 years old

2. My mom said I looked prettier with it on.

3. School

4. Yes mom encouraged it.

5. I don't now because I want to get out the door and plus I want my friend to teach me a few of her tricks because she is like the Beauty Goddess.

• 1. 13 years old

2. Because I had mild acne and absolutely nothing I did would get rid of it...so I covered it up.

3. At school or out in public

4. Huh?

5. It makes me feel pretty...without it I feel ugly and un-noticable. It covers my acne that I'm so ashamed of.

• 1. Probably when I was 13 or 14.

2. I'm not sure... It just kind of happened. Maybe it was because I saw it in the magazines I was so obsessed with :P

3. At first it was just at home, but pretty soon it was everywhere I went.

4. Yup. My parents didn't care much.

5. I wear less makeup today. Back then, I wore tons of black eye stuff, but now it's much lighter. Browns/golds with mascara, but no eyeliner. The makeup isn't really to hide anything or to be more appealing to anyone, I just think it makes me FEEL prettier. I feel pretty without it, but it enhancing my best features tends to make me feel more confident. I don't wear makeup at home, just when I go out.

• I started wearing makeup in college (my mother wouldn't allow it when I was still living at home), and I did it because I wanted to be able to compete with my college peers, all of whom were wearing makeup.

• I started wearing make-up in 11th grade because I was getting annoyed with red spot on my skin. I usually only wear foundation now if I do bother to put any on. My mom encouraged me indirectly to start because she got me makeup for Christmas. I usually only wear it if I leaving the house for more than an hour and go al out if I am going to a party or something.

• I wasn't allowed to wear make up until I was 16. I snuck it when I was 13. I say, go ahead and make the rule, but she'll probably break it.

I wore it at school/parties/dances.

• 1. I started wearing minimal make up in my 2nd year in college.

2. When I learned that I could look better wearing a little this and that.

3. At school.

4. I wear make up nowadays mainly because I really don't feel comfortable not wearing any.. I wear make up every time I go out, but just the necessary stuff only. I glam it up only on dates with my boyfriend.

:)

• 1) when I was eleven

2) because my mom told me I could

3) when I ever felt like I needed to hide

4) my parents are the ones who told me I could

5) no

• Um not completely till like the end of 7th grade.

other girls ( sounds really bad ) confidence boost , fun of it :)

school , parties

parents didn't care

whenever I feel like it

• 1) When I was 13.

2) Because everyone else was doing it; and I guess I probably wanted a little attention too.

3) I was in my mom's car, and found some mascara, and snuck it on. I remember feeling so rebellious. haha

4) Yes, but I also didn't wear much makeup at that point, either.

5) I wear makeup only when I really want to dress up. I usually don't wear it, just because I don't have that much time or energy. ha.

• I think I was 21 and many girls wear it in college not before... Why to feel prettier and that's why I use it, it makes a huge change gives me more confidence... But as a teenager I only used for a party or something I think make Up in young girls is just a bit odd

• 1. Freshman in high school

2. Because of acne

3. Anywhere that wasn't at home

4. They didn't care

5. To make my skin tone more even. I wear it normally whenever I go out.

• i was in 8th grade, I don't know why, stupid huh?

• i always was interested in makeup as an art form. it was like coloring with crayons yet my face was the canvas. I liked the different color affects makeup gives you. it didn't have anything to do with boys but I enjoyed feeling glamorous when I applied makeup. I used to get those toy makeup kits when I was a little kid, then experimented with real makeup when I was around 8. I didn't start wearing it out until 6th grade. yeah I was allowed to wear it in public.

• 1. 7th-8th Grade, foundation, a little tan/bronze eye shadow, and some mascara.

2. Everyone else was wearing it and would ask me why I wasn't. I didn't want to be "the odd one out" so I started wearing it.

3.I wear it all the time, school, home, parties. But neutral is the best way I believe, you don't want to look like you caked on your face.

4.Sorta...As long as I didn't look sunburned and it was natural

5. All the time, even when I'm staying home, it makes me feel better. The only time I don't is when I go to bed and on the weekends, you have to let your face air out a bit.

• 1. When did you start to wear makeup? Consistently when I started high school. So that was 9th grade. I must've been 15 or 16. I use(d) foundation, concealer, mascara, blush, bronzer, eyeliner, eyeshadow, lipgloss.

2. Why did you do so? Because I wanted to. My mom and older sister weren't very big on makeup so my sisters and I just started buying it and experimenting.

3. In which situation did you do so? Starting in 9th grade, I wore makeup everyday to school so it would be on from when I woke up in the morning until I got home and washed it off before bed.

4. Were you allowed to go rouged in public? If not, when did your parents had allowed it? My parents didn't care that I wore makeup. I didn't look like a whore.

5. Why and when do you wear makeup nowadays? I still wear makeup and my sisters and I have quite a collection of products that range from cheap to high-end. I wear makeup everyday. Only on special occasions like dates, parties, girl nights, going out to restaurants do I wear eyeliner though. And I do my top and bottom lid, including the waterline.

• 1. college

2. to be pretty

3. everyday

4. of course

5. everyday

• I'm 25 & I never wear make-up..maybe just some blusher...I don't think I need any ..& I don't like anything unnatural on my skin :)

What Guys Said 0