That one look in someone's eye. What is your opinion of this?

Sometimes words are the last thing you need. That one look in someone's eye, that look that tells you everything you need to know but nothing you want to know. That moment of heart shattering truth were all you see is just how broken they really are, not the kind of clean and neat broken but that kind that can only happen when something strong shatters.

I know it sounds all overly deep but I have been up all night talking about literally everything with one of my closest friends. Nothing really feels real anymore like I'm seeing all the same things but they all mean something different to what they did 24 hours ago. The little deep stuff up there is about this person I know and that is what its like to look into their eyes. Basically has anyone else ever I guess seen that or felt something like it?

(ps. Being under 18 sucks because no one ever takes you seriously and they almost always expect you to be shallow. )

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I've seen it in two people. One was someone who had a traumatic childhood and allthough he'd smile, you could see the sadness in his eyes that'll always be there.

Another person I saw with this expression was after he found out something he didn't want to know. Whenever I've seen since, he always has that look of pain/torment in his eyes, although he tries to keep his face passive.

It's horrible seeing it on anyone. It makes me want to comfort them and take away their pain. (I know I've only mentioned guys, but strangely enough I've only seen it on them. Perhaps, it's because they try to hide their pain but every now and then, the mask slips and the reveal everything?)

What Guys Said 7

• I was talking to a girl I really liked, one on one, just ourselves, and I remember there was this brief period in one of our conversations where I was looking into her eyes and she was looking in mine, and I completely got sucked in... My insides were fluttering like crazy, and my eyes were just, wide open and it felt so intense, like I was literally almost starting to tear up. It felt pretty surreal... I wonder if she picked up on it at all.

I don't think I'll ever forget it... and it's a feeling that I'll keep searching for and hope to find again, because unfortunately, things didn't work out with this particular girl.

• Gotta be honest with you. I don't know what you're talking about. I've heard of it but I can't read others really and I've been told I don't convey emotion myself. Dates seldom ever go past the first one with me because girls say they can't read me or gauge whether or not I'm interested because I don't express anything with facial expressions or mannerisms.

• Yes, I love it when someone I am interested in or even someone I am simply close to locks eyes with me. You can really feel something there and see a part of who they are. It also takes some degree of "guts" since both people have to essentially not look away.

Parents that have lost a child usually have sad eyes because of the trauma that will stay with them forever. You can tell a lot about the disposition of a person just by looking at them eye to eye for more than a few seconds.

• YES! I know what you mean! The more you apply reasons to it, the further away you are from the truth...

Source: 40 years walking this earth

• People said I had that sort of look in my eye when I got back from Vietnam.

It's called the thousand yard stare, it happens when you go numb, and stop caring. To others you look like you're look for something, but really you're not looking at all, you're remembering, life shattering moments.

You weren't there, you can't know, still hurts.

link

• no, the thousand yard stare (or thousand mile stare or whatever) is more empty and cold I guess then what I'm talking about. This stare is so painfully alive and its so far from numb its just broken and intense and fighting with everything that person has, and technologically people know nothing about each other no matter how close they are.

• Huh? 28 Months Later comin' soon?

If so that has potential... I loved 28 Days, 28 Weeks not so much because in my eyes it didn't really take the concept much further, but yeah 28 Months Later, if done well, could be real cool.

And if they get to 28 Years Later... that'd be interesting.

• Yeah man, set in russia. And HEY WHERE THE HELL IS BEST ANSWER

• I know exactly what you are talking about. It is really interesting that youth still cares about this (and I mean it). Just that one look into the ocean tells you what you need to know.

• I wish I could say something to make you feel better but I don't know what to say...

Ill get back to you on that

• After thinking about this question

I have come up with, (hope it helps)

if a good friend of of mine is upset I can most likely tell they are upset

whether it be their eyes or mannerisms or acting differently (I guess I have a lot of emotional intelligence )

usually I've able to tell with girls more than guys

With some people you can tell if they are happy or sad

When ever I see the look on someones' face I just want to hug them and be there for them because the look on their face

• and the pain in their eyes is worth anything. That I'd literally do anything for them and I don't want them to be in pain anymore

but sometimes it's more difficult because when you know they are hurting inside they still say no I'm fine or brush it off

but I mean in the end I think it's worth it regardless of how painful it might be because now you know the truth. And after you know the truth you can start helping them, be there for them, and lend a ear or even just letting them know you are

• there for them.

Hope I helped =)

Good luck!

What Girls Said 10

• I used to like this guy for many years, there was always something between us and we were friends but there was attraction and intensity between us, we somehow knew what the other was thinking or feeling, it was kind of scary but still amazing at the same time, sometimes he would react to my actions/gestures without us even talking, it gave me the shivers. When I was mad at him for being mia one week, he looked at me for 2 seconds and put his hand to his face, getting annoyed that I was mad at him, it was amazing that he picked up on my emotions so fast. I would be smiling to myself one day in school looking all happy, and he was busy working on a project with someone else, he came up to me to tell me he would talk to me later and will be right back, how did he know I was missing him?! it was scary. But yea, I do feel like some people are just connected that way, and its more about the souls connecting then actually reading the eyes, at least in my opinion. Sometimes people come to our lives for a reason, even if they don't stay in your life forever, that feeling between you two stays forever.

• I get what your saying, I hate it when I can read people just through their expressions, their eyes, fake smiles, tone of voice all that. Never ignore it though but don't let it completely take over your thought process either, it's a handy skill to have.

• The eyes are very expressive.

With the same guy, when he looked at me I could tell how he felt about me, but at the same time, I could also tell when he was just done with me and didn't want me around.

• Yea, I totally agree with you.. you can see/feel so many things about someone just by looking at them, usually emotion wise. I don't like seeing it, especially if your having a deep conversation with someone wanting to know how they feel, no matter what they say you can always tell exactly how they feel by looking at their eyes, if their lying, or if something else is going on.

• Not everyone conveys these things through their eyes, though. I don't feel comfortable making eye contact with anyone ever and I've been told I don't really express emotion physically.

• Unconsciously it probably is.

• Unfortunately it's not. =(

• that's love, you can't control it and no one else needs to understand it. It's beautiful, it makes life worth living!

• But I don't love this guy!

• It's a different love than you think. Sometimes I look at friends in that way... but maybe that's why people say I'm flirty..lol. It's like being telepathic with eachother.

• i think its compassion, because you can feel that way for a stranger at the bus stop.

if you stare at someone long enough you see their humanity. but only if you really pay attention. if you don't care, you won't pay attention. but unless you have a disease, as a human being, you have the empathy to be able to see.. people just choose not to.

• Yep, that's eyes for ya. They tell a story.

• I know what you are talking about, but if you really feel you shattered his world, people usually get themselves to that point. Most of the time, the person is the one who allowed it to happen so don't feel too bad.

• The look he has, has nothing to do with me, nothing to do with romance whatsoever. I have never been his world so I can't possibly shatter it.

• Oh, I guess I misunderstood the question then.

• I know exactly what you're talking about. And I guess my peers say I read other people very easily, but when it comes to eyes, it's pretty obvious if you're observant enough. Some people's eyes just tell stories that you don't even need to ask about, you know?

• Yes, I know what you mean. There is this guy that I liked and he seemed to like me back but seemed scared. When we would look into each others eyes I could literally see the fear, yet passion in those eyes. A few times his eyes even got watery. I heard later that he had a very bad marriage prior and sworn off falling in love and marriage, and instead has a string of physical relationships, but I believe that with me it is different because I make him think about the one thing he was burned by before and continues to be afraid of...love.

• I try not to go off of what I think I see when I look into someones eyes. Sometimes, pain is apparent yet, it's not like you can fix a broken person. Sometimes, you can't let people influence your sphere of thinking.